Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much charge did your car have when delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owners, I'm curious how much charge your S has arrived with - I've read a few entries where it's been quite low.

The point being, if they're not coming fully charged, why not? Seems like the first thing an owner would want to do is go for a drive, rather than plug it into a charger overnight...

Thanks,

Doug

Mine was most of the way full when I got it. It would be kind of annoying to have it delivered without much charge.

I suspect the ones that are being delivered low are a combination of the vampire load (which should be fixed soon) and in some logistical glitches where the cars sit in Fremont for a long time, then in a trailer for a long time (which may get better over time as well). And in the DS being in a BIG hurry to get it delivered between now and the end of the year. So I would expect to see this happen much less in the future. But I'm just guessing about the cause(s), so I could be wrong.

New owners, I'm curious how much charge your S has arrived with - I've read a few entries where it's been quite low.

The point being, if they're not coming fully charged, why not? Seems like the first thing an owner would want to do is go for a drive, rather than plug it into a charger overnight...

Thanks,

Doug

60ish miles fresh off the transport truck. i believe those delivered with local prep are getting full charge most of the time.

I would tend to believe in the essence of time, TM wants to confirm that the battery packs are able to take a charge or in order to put out more product they are not fully charging the packs which may explain the low range in some of the most recent deliveries.

Mine had 0 miles of range right off the transport truck. Lucky that the DS could drive it the 2.5 miles to my house where it could get a charge. Had to wait over an hour to do a test drive and even then the power was limited due to the low state of charge.

259 miles of range, 44 miles on odometer, version 4.0 of software preinstalled.

Dash on delivery.jpg

Larry

Last edited:
Deliveries that come through a Service Center will arrive with a nearly full charge.
Deliveries of cars with v4.0 software will arrive with a good charge, because the vampire load will be only about ~2 miles/day.

I think all of the reports of near-zero SOC were from people like me, with direct-shipped vehicles that left Fremont before v4.0 rolled out.

It would make sense if Tesla is getting their own delivery trucks to have inverters installed to keep the cars topped off for delivery to customers. Having a car delivered with an empty battery is not good customer service.
Hm -- how big an effect would that have on the truck's mileage? The drivers might not appreciate that. :mad:

I didn't think to take a picture, but mine was actually range charged from the looks of it. The miles were 262 range, and it was set to range charging.

Not sure if this was an artifact from testing and they had just plugged it in at the Long Island service center and no one noticed, or planned.

Odometer read 37 miles.

Last edited: