Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much could this minor paint damage cost to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened. My (nice and apologetic) parking stall neighbour brushed up against my white M3 while parking yesterday - I'm not sure how the damage occurred in the pattern that it occurred in, it certainly doesn't seem like they backed into the car (even if only very gently).

At any rate, there's a patch of black below a raised lip of paint. Definitely not that big a deal but the car is just over 2 weeks old and I really wish for it to look spick and span. Would a Tesla-certified shop be able to just sand out the raised paint, get rid of the black, and apply a clear coating = looking back to normal? Do they need to use a paint repair kit? (Would that even look the same as the original paint job?)

Do I need the whole front bumper replaced to get out this small dent?

I also noticed that the ultrasonic sensor on that edge has a noticeable seal misalignment but that might just be normal...

1618544131757.png

Buy a pre painted bumper from Tesla and sell yours for cheap. It’s the easiest way and probably pretty close in price to having it fixed.
I'll have to look into this. It's on idea, though I think the insurance company will only let me go through specific bodyshops for repair.

Two shops have roughly estimated ~$1000 CAD (bumper repair & repaint) and ~$1600 CAD (no breakdown given); so it definitely seems like a large cost for something so small.

I had the same thing happen on my MYLR bumper. I purchased this kit, and followed directions. It came with primer, paint and clearcoat. Also comes with fine sanding papers. It worked amazing, and looks perfect. The paint was a perfect match, and the clearcoat shine blends in. Plus I have a lot of leftover paint for any further scratches.

Buy a pre painted bumper from Tesla and sell yours for cheap. It’s the easiest way and probably pretty close in price to having it fixed.

The problem with buying a pre painted bumper is that there can often be subtle but noticeable differences in batches of paint. A bumper painted white this month may look slightly different than a white bumper painted 8 months ago. This is why body shops, when replacing a single part, will paint and blend the surrounding parts. You can get lucky and the new bumper may look amazing, but it is not guaranteed.

• Informative
Reactions: muffinjello