Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much current (kW) is your house using while charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone measured how much current their house is pulling from the grid when the Model S is on charge?

Would your local utility allow 22 kW+ assuming the house is on a three phase connection and the Model S is equipped with twin on-board AC chargers? The limits in WA are around 14 kW for a single phase connected house and around 21 kW for a three phase connected house.

And what about households with two electric cars? Even two BMW i3s pulling 7 kW each would max out a single phase connected house.

As a general rule, I'm not sure the "problem" arises. A 32A single phase circuit (nominal 7.5 kw) can restore more than enough overnight for just about any daily driving scenario. I have 32A 1-ph on night rate for this. If I amin urgent need of a charge I have 3-ph 32A and that will top anything lacking up in less than two hours (my practice is not to be more than 200 km off a full battery. The house circuit does draw 22-24 kW on the 3-phase circuit. I would not use the large ducted air-conditioner while doing that though.

Has anyone measured how much current their house is pulling from the grid when the Model S is on charge?

Would your local utility allow 22 kW+ assuming the house is on a three phase connection and the Model S is equipped with twin on-board AC chargers? The limits in WA are around 14 kW for a single phase connected house and around 21 kW for a three phase connected house.

And what about households with two electric cars? Even two BMW i3s pulling 7 kW each would max out a single phase connected house.

When the electrician installs your wall connector he/she should audit the capacity of your house connection and adjust the wall connector to suit.
Even though I have 3 phase and 32 Amps at my holiday house I have never run it that hard out of respect of the local grid, currently I have adjusted the amps in the car to 20 which works out at about 14 KW.
In the city I only have a single phase 32 Amp supply as I park my car in a shared garage of an apartment building which restricts me to 16 Amps or about 3.8Kw, but I can always go to the Pyrmont Supercharger to top up in an emergency.
I understand that the latest Tesla wall connectors can be connected in series and the master will control the slaves to remain under the set capacity limit.

• Informative
Reactions: electracity
2015 single phase wall connector.
The main circuit breaker is 63A so I'm limited to 15kW for everything but that is fine since water heating and cooking are gas. Charging at 2am uses 9.6kW if maxed out at 40A, boil a kettle at the same time would take that to 12kW so that is also fine. TV, computer and lighting (CFL and LED) take around 0.5kW total. If I wanted to turn on bedroom air-conditioning at night while charging I would need to turn down the charging current a bit to avoid the 63A switchboard CB limit. But my house runs cool with its white roof tiles and the shade from its PV panels so I hardly ever need the air conditioner day or night. It sounds a little close but the reality is no problems ever.

Just FYI, on my 32A 1-phase installation it works out to about 45km/hr charge.
This is fast enough to take me (70D) from almost empty to full within the off-peak hours.
Good point.

Off peak charging. I'm going to have to put some kind of timer on my charger. OR it would be a great feature to put into the M3 - ONLY CHARGE BETWEEN THESE TIMES 00:00 and 05:00.....or something like that..

I only have a single phase supply to my house - it
Good point.

Off peak charging. I'm going to have to put some kind of timer on my charger. OR it would be a great feature to put into the M3 - ONLY CHARGE BETWEEN THESE TIMES 00:00 and 05:00.....or something like that..

I also have 32A single phase at home - although dual chargers in the car. In my case the charger is connected to controlled load off peak charging, but you can set the car to shedule timing for any time you like. It remembers this based on location.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Good point.

You can!
The car can be programmed to start charging at a certain time. Mine starts at 10pm. Even if it's close to empty (rare) it's done before 6am.
I'll add a screenshot from the Tesla app once I work out how to...

Also note that for some reason Tesla doesn't give the option to schedule charge end time, only start time.
This hasn't been a problem for me because charging is always complete before the off-peak period finishes.

I've got a question for you guys. I've recently installed a solar system that collects up to 5kw during peak sunshine.

How would I know what Amp to set the car to, to make sure the car is getting charged by the solar array and not pulling from the grid?