Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Much data does the car share with Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A conversation with a Tesla service person about my car made me realise just how much data the car shares with Tesla's "Mothership".

We were discussing the problems arising from the faulty car computer and I mentioned that the side cameras were regularly reporting that they had been blinded or were unavailable. She told me when and at what time each error had reported to Mother. She seemed to know where I was driving and in what direction as she realised the setting sun would be low in the sky and shining directly at the side of the car, so dazzling the camera (and me, to be honest).

It turns out that it is not a car computer issue, but made me wonder just how much data the car collects and shares....

Anyone know more?

Everything ...

I believe it records all telemetry and electrical systems' status and dumps to Tesla Corp when it can. I believe it does not record or upload audio/video unless there is a trigger such as a detected collision, if at all.

They pretty much know the location of every tesla, how you drive (hence the drive score in the US), what music you listen to, videos you watch..

I've never seen evidence of it uploading actual video although apparently it can do so.

With so much data though any individual car isn't really important to them.. mostly it sits unloved on tesla's servers until it's needed. I've never heard of them selling it to 3rd parties (they don't need the money, or the bad publicity).