TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much data is Wi-Fi transferring?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by AnxietyRanger, May 9, 2017.

1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

#1 AnxietyRanger, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    How much is the Wi-Fi transferring for you?

I have been measuring my Model X + Wi-Fi for around ten days now and witnessing steady but small transfer rates:

Receive: 3.1 MBytes/day
    Send: 0.7 MBytes/day

The car is parked at the Wi-Fi for most of the day and night. As mentioned, Tesla talks of music service caching (Future in-car services and music caching through Wi-Fi?), but obviously not at these rates.

I don't use the online services in the car much, nor has data sharing been on during this time, so that certainly explains some of the smallness of the numbers.

Curiously I am also not getting any software updates (as has happened before when using the Wi-Fi), so no 17.17.4 for me. I will probably give up on the WI-Fi, since Wi-Fi has hurt more than it has helped here.

I do check the mobile app perhaps 0-2 times a day, if it is not turned off for some reason. I have also turned off energy saving etc., but they do not seem to have any effect on the transfer rates.

2. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

How do u measure this? Through phone hotspot or some other way? I'm terrible at networks

3. AnxietyRanger

I set up a dedicated Wi-Fi for it at home and write occasional data down on its transfer rates on the router. It has been very steady.

4. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

#4 VOTS01, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Here is some history (12 or so hours) for my Model S (will do the Model X when the wife gets back from dropping the kids off). Tiny amounts of data (statistics courtesy of a Unbiquiti WiFi AP / Switch / Secure Gateway setup - highly recommended).

** Edited to note that I had not driven the S in the last 24h so perhaps that impacts data traffic **

stats 2.JPG

stats 1.JPG

stats 3.JPG

5. AnxietyRanger

Many thanks @VOTS01!

It seems for ~12 hours you stats were around:

Receive: 2.0 MBytes
    Send: 1.1 MBytes

When mine for ~24 / ~12 hours were (averages calculated from around 10 days of data):

Receive: 3.1 MBytes / 1.6 MBytes
    Send: 0.7 MBytes / 0.4 MBytes

So in a similar ballpark, but mine having data sharing off could explain the difference or daily variances.

6. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

In addition to whatever is being downloaded directly from the mothership, it's possible that a page you have currently loaded in the web browser may be refreshing periodically. A while back, I was watching the DNS traffic from the car and noticed it hitting a bunch of Google servers at regular intervals, about once a minute. Turns out it was because I had visited Google News and left that open in the browser, even though the app wasn't visible at the time I left the car.

• Helpful x 1
  7. AnxietyRanger

Good point!

I don't think I have had anything of refreshing nature open in the web browser, but that is certainly something I need to check as well.

8. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

And here is the Model X (perhaps more talkative as it had been out on the road?). Either way relatively small amounts of data.

stats 1.JPG stats 2.JPG stats 3.JPG

• Informative x 1
  9. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@VOTS01 Excellent info! Thanks.
    I'm curious to know if your car(s) are set to "Always Connected" and if so, have you looked at the data rates with Always Connected turned off?

• Informative x 1
  10. AnxietyRanger

Thanks @VOTS01! Great info.

FWIW, @Solarman004, most of my 10 days was with Always Connected off and Energy Saving on, but a portion I tried with Always Connected on and Energy Saving off did not seem to alter the daily figures in any dramatic manner. The sample is not big enough to say there couldn't be a difference, but if there was, I did not see it.

• Like x 1
  11. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

I'm sure I have always connected turned on (just to try improve summons speed). If I get around to it I might try turn it off and see what happens.

• Informative x 2
  12. AnxietyRanger

Turning the Wi-Fi off and rebooting the small and big screens didn't change anything firmware-wise, even after a few days. Eventually turning the Wi-Fi back on and rebooting both the screens jumpstarted the communications - suddently the lackluster 3.1 MBytes/day downloads and 0.7 MBytes/day uploads jumped by 440 MBytes of new download and 12 MBytes of new upload.

While these steps may or may not have gotten anything to do with the update availability itself, it is noteworthy how much more the Wi-Fi was suddenly doing. Without the Wi-Fi reading I could not have told the car started the download immediately, but by watching the Wi-Fi it was obvious something was going on.

Rebooting the screens/computers may or may not have helped, who knows. It seems like it might at least force some "call mothership" availability check that otherwise might only happen from time to time?

13. fatmiko

fatmiko Member