Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much Degradation with 100% Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a MY LR on order, I do not have any access to home charging. Right now because I am working from home I do not drive much. At some point if I do commute (around 30 miles round trip), I can most likely charge at work or nearby. Other than that I will use SC's most of the time. There are two within 10 ten miles of my place, with one only a couple of miles away.

Will I see much degradation of my battery with only SC use and how long before I see significant battery decline?

If you can charge at work (it's probably free for you to use), or nearby then do that.

Superchargers do not all have the same maximum charging rate. Urban Superchargers are limited to 72kW. Charging at up to 72kW (~1C where C is the capacity of the battery or battery pack) is less stressful than charging at 150kW (V2 Supercharger), ~2C or even 250kW (V3 Supercharger), ~3C. So aside from cost if you have to use a Supercharger on a regular basis seek out an Urban Supercharger.

Also, degradation of a battery can mean different things. As the battery ages the capacity of the battery slowly decreases. What Tesla does is monitor the Supercharger usage of the vehicle and pack and can throttle back the charging rate if Tesla determines that the health of the battery would be affected by continued Supercharging at a higher rate. It is unlikely that using an Urban Supercharger (up to 72kW) will even approach the throttled back charging rate of a Tesla vehicle that has seen a lot of V2 and even the newer V3 Supercharger use.

Tesla Supercharger locations can be found here: Supercharger | Tesla

Also, ABetterRoutePlanner: A Better Routeplanner

You can also find Supercharger locations on PlugShare and Google Maps.

I just used the Urban Supercharger near my home (3 miles away.) I did not use the Tesla Navigation system to navigate to the Supercharger nor was the battery fully warmed. The Tesla Model Y battery pack was already charged to 80% so this was just a 5 minute test of using a Supercharger. The charging rate was ~35kW (0.5C). This is 6X the charging rate when I charge using a nearby public Level 2 charging station. I believe that the Tesla Model Y could charge at a similar rate regularly and never be throttled back by Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wood1030 and Mixman
Thanks, I would just like the battery to remain as close to 100% max capacity for 3 yrs or so. I am not worried about anything long term since I am leasing. Also until I go back to work I will be charging 100% at the Tesla superchargers.

Unless charging for a longer trip Tesla recommends keeping the vehicle charged to between 50% and 90% SOC. Most prefer to set the charging limit to around 80% unless leaving on a trip. Even then with the number of Supercharger locations recently added to the network you could leave for a trip a charged to no more than 90% SOC and be able to easily reach the 1st Supercharger stop. In effect there is rarely a reason to charge to 100%.

The battery will degrade. It's normal, and they all do it. They lose about 5% the first year, and then degradation slows down to about 1% per year after that. There is nothing you can do to change that. Anyone buying a 5 year old car should expect the battery range to have dropped around ten percent. This is another reason to buy a car with the most range you can get, as ten percent of 400 miles still leaves you with 360 miles.

My first EV was a Toyota, and its beginning range was a whopping 95 miles. It took 4 hours to recharge. Times have changed.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
Thanks, I would just like the battery to remain as close to 100% max capacity for 3 yrs or so. I am not worried about anything long term since I am leasing. Also until I go back to work I will be charging 100% at the Tesla superchargers.
It WILL NOT stay anywhere near 100% for three years. Batteries degrade whether you use them or not. Roughly 5% the first year, then about 1% each year thereafter. It's normal. You'll lose about 7% in the first three years. That's the way it goes.

Using a standard house outlet would keep your car topped up and you would not have to drive over to the Supercharger and sit there doing nothing for that hour. And telling me that you work from home, I have to assume your house has outlets and that you could charge at home, which saves you time. The only reason one would want to charge at a Supercharger is that it's free, though not for 3s or Ys, but that's pretty penny pinching, and probably not really worth your time and effort. That's why nearly everyone here charges at home.

You can use a standard 110v outlet to charge, no special electrician needed. The car will normally charge about 75+ miles a night on 110v.

It WILL NOT stay anywhere near 100% for three years. Batteries degrade whether you use them or not. Roughly 5% the first year, then about 1% each year thereafter. It's normal. You'll lose about 7% in the first three years. That's the way it goes.

Using a standard house outlet would keep your car topped up and you would not have to drive over to the Supercharger and sit there doing nothing for that hour. And telling me that you work from home, I have to assume your house has outlets and that you could charge at home, which saves you time. The only reason one would want to charge at a Supercharger is that it's free, though not for 3s or Ys, but that's pretty penny pinching, and probably not really worth your time and effort. That's why nearly everyone here charges at home.

You can use a standard 110v outlet to charge, no special electrician needed. The car will normally charge about 75+ miles a night on 110v.
Do not have that option, since I live in an apt. Parking is in the lot. There are about 4 or 5 other Tesla's in my development. I would imagine they either charge at the local Tesla SC or at work, but since I am seeing them parked most of the day, I assume they are not going in to work much and must be SC locally.

Do not have that option, since I live in an apt. Parking is in the lot. There are about 4 or 5 other Tesla's in my development. I would imagine they either charge at the local Tesla SC or at work, but since I am seeing them parked most of the day, I assume they are not going in to work much and must be SC locally.
Have you tried using the free PlugShare app to locate nearby charging stations? In addition to locating Level 2 charging stations PlugShare can help you locate DC Fast Charging stations. There was a post a while back from someone in NJ who found a free to use 50kW CHAdeMO charging station near their home. All that was needed was to purchase the Tesla CHAdeMO charging adapter (this adapter can sometimes be found used on eBay etc.)

Have you tried using the free PlugShare app to locate nearby charging stations? In addition to locating Level 2 charging stations PlugShare can help you locate DC Fast Charging stations. There was a post a while back from someone in NJ who found a free to use 50kW CHAdeMO charging station near their home. All that was needed was to purchase the Tesla CHAdeMO charging adapter (this adapter can sometimes be found used on eBay etc.)
I noticed there are several CHAdeMo chargers nearby and a couple of evGo also.

I noticed there are several CHAdeMo chargers nearby and a couple of evGo also.
You would have to dig a little deeper but you might get lucky and find a CHAdeMO charging station near you that you can use without a fee.

Tesla CHAdeMO charging adapter ($400 US.) This item is currently out of stock on the Tesla store web site but if you leave your email you will be notified when it is again available for purchase. CHAdeMO Adapter

You can also sometimes find used Tesla CHAdeMo adapters on eBay or on the For Sale Forum on TMC as Tesla owners purchase the CHAdeMO adapter for a trip and then sell the adapter when they don't need it anymore.

If you're leasing the least of your concerns should be battery degradation. Just drive the car and don't even think about the battery.

You would have to dig a little deeper but you might get lucky and find a CHAdeMO charging station near you that you can use without a fee.

Tesla CHAdeMO charging adapter ($400 US.) This item is currently out of stock on the Tesla store web site but if you leave your email you will be notified when it is again available for purchase. CHAdeMO Adapter

You can also sometimes find used Tesla CHAdeMo adapters on eBay or on the For Sale Forum on TMC as Tesla owners purchase the CHAdeMO adapter for a trip and then sell the adapter when they don't need it anymore.
Thanks for the info. I will try that.
If you're leasing the least of your concerns should be battery degradation. Just drive the car and don't even think about the battery.
Well that's what I thought, but if I hear 6 most the battery will lose 10% capacity, that might cause me some concern.
You can't even plug into a 110v outlet at your home?
No, not at all. In an emergency I could use my ex wife's garage at 110V. Not ideal though. Hah!

If you live in Dayton, I an just up the highway from you in North Brunswick.

You live in Alaska in winter you may have a 19 hour long night to charge during, the rest of us only get 40 to 50 miles in an over night charge :)

Other than that I agree with you 100%. If the OP is in a ground floor apartment, or even second floor, a heavy duty (10 gauge or 12 gauge) extension cord through an open window is fine. Especially since the OP said he doesn't drive much.

Keith

You live in Alaska in winter you may have a 19 hour long night to charge during, the rest of us only get 40 to 50 miles in an over night charge :)

Other than that I agree with you 100%. If the OP is in a ground floor apartment, or even second floor, a heavy duty (10 gauge or 12 gauge) extension cord through an open window is fine. Especially since the OP said he doesn't drive much.

Keith
Yeah that’s a no go on the extension. If someone trips on that extension cord I would be liable, plus I live on the 2 floor.

My situation is not unusual as most Americans live in a urban or suburban situation in which nightly charging is either difficult or impossible. This is one of those things that has to be overcome if mass EV adoption is ever possible.

No, not at all. In an emergency I could use my ex wife's garage at 110V. Not ideal though. Hah!

If you live in Dayton, I an just up the highway from you in North Brunswick.
Sorry, I missed that you're in an apartment complex..... As others noted, if you're leasing, don't worry about degradation, just charge it to 80 or 85% whenever you need to, and enjoy driving it! And yes, I'm in Dayton..... What color did you order? Any idea when you'll get the car?

The battery will degrade. It's normal, and they all do it. They lose about 5% the first year, and then degradation slows down to about 1% per year after that. There is nothing you can do to change that. Anyone buying a 5 year old car should expect the battery range to have dropped around ten percent. This is another reason to buy a car with the most range you can get, as ten percent of 400 miles still leaves you with 360 miles.

My first EV was a Toyota, and its beginning range was a whopping 95 miles. It took 4 hours to recharge. Times have changed.
This really only applies to Tesla because of the way their BMS is set up with no top end buffer. I have a Hyundai Kona Electric with almost 53k miles (bought June 28 2019) and no range loss. The BMS on the Kona has a 5% or so top end buffer and degradation is moved to that buffer until the 5% are used up.. So far, at 53k miles, I have not used up the buffer yet and don't have any range loss. As Tesla has no top end buffer and does not allow pack voltage to increase, you will see any degradation immediately. While Teslas have a buffer, it's at the bottom of the pack.. When you hit zero percent, you can still drive for like 10 - 20 miles or so.. You can't do that with the Kona Electric. My Hyundai Kona Electric was almost exclusively fast charged (170+ fast charges in 2 years) but I only used 50kw CCS fast chargers. As Teslas charge faster and Tesla heats up the pack for supercharging, the degradation may be significantly more than when charging at 50kw or below.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue

About 4-5 miles an hour is what i get at home.