Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much Depreciation Loss on Model S Performance Raven After 1 Year and 15k Miles?

Travelhead

Aug 3, 2019
Fl
I just purchased a 2019 Performance Raven last month and heard the Model S Plaid is coming out in 2020.

My plan is to sell my car and buy the Plaid next year. I'm wondering what kind of depreciation hit I can expect after 1 year and 15k miles on my 2019 Model S Performance (includes FSD)?

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
Much depends if you are selling your car yourself to get top dollar, selling it to a wholesaler like CarMax for less, or trading it into Tesla for the least amount.

The high dollar Tesla usually depreciate faster than the base models. The options seem to depreciate faster than the car itself.

Klau2

Mar 25, 2019
Boyds, MD
haha, love it when people ask us to predict the future. really don't know. Tesla is so unpredictable with their pricing. just look at what they did this year. people who pay their cars for over 100k before, but now you can easily get a base raven with 370 miles range for under 90k. that most likely hurt a lot of the resale value. so in short, we won't know until next year when you try to sell.

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
I just purchased a 2019 Performance Raven last month and heard the Model S Plaid is coming out in 2020.

My plan is to sell my car and buy the Plaid next year. I'm wondering what kind of depreciation hit I can expect after 1 year and 15k miles on my 2019 Model S Performance (includes FSD)?

But if they say 2020 it will most likely be 2022...so the good news is your average annual depreciation will be smaller.

kizamybute'

Aug 24, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
With the recent price drop from Tesla, it won't be as bad as it would have been. If you just purchased last month, that means you got the discounted price. A few months ago, the prices were close to $20,000 higher. Everyone instantly lost $20,000 when Tesla significantly dropped the price. I don't think they have the margins to drop them much further. The good thing for new buyers is that many original owners now won't sell their cars. While a Performance Model S with FSD today is around $110,000 (or less), a few months ago, it was closer to $135,000. And the Raven is a notably superior car. A 2018 P100D likely would struggle to bring in $90,000 today on the private party market. Probably closer to $70,000 to $75,000 wholesale. So around a 45% loss in a year. Many people will not let their cars go at that big of a loss. So the number of cars available could be less, at least those that are reasonably priced. But, the Raven will likely have the same value in a year, if not a little higher since it's s superior car. So, that's probably what you can expect, but your $20,000 ahead based on the original price you paid being much lower. And, if the 2018 guys keep pricing their cars at $95,000 because they can't afford to sell their $135,000 or $140,000 car for less, your car will be much more appealing at that price and should sell quickly. That $100,000 mark is tough to overcome on the used car market. Most willing to spend that much will just buy a new one. My guess, one year. $90,000 to $95,000 on the private party market.

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC