Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did you pay for property tax and registration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Greenville. I paid $1,015 in county property tax for a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR and then I paid $683 to the state for registration. The state charge also included $120 for a biennial road fee since EVs don't pay any gas tax, and it included sales tax for the purchase

I live in Greenville. I paid $1,015 in county property tax for a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR and then I paid $683 to the state for registration. The state charge also included $120 for a biennial road fee since EVs don't pay any gas tax, and it included sales tax for the purchase
Wow! Just wow. Property tax? Was there also sales tax? In Wisconsin we pay a 5% state sales tax on the trade difference. Then a one time registration fee of $120 and an annual license renewal fee of $140 plus an $80 EV/Hybrid surcharge.

No sales tax on EVs at all in NJ. NJ is one of the states that doesn’t charge property tax on cars, although the registration fee is in the $60-$80 range and based a bit on weight. They haven’t got around up here to figuring how to pay for roads without the gas tax, but that’ll come one of these days. “Biennial” is once every two years, right? Sounds like it’s in the right range.

South Carolina has a 5% sales tax on cars but with a cap of $500. Each county has its own annual property tax, which was the $1,015 for my Tesla.
Strangely, SC has an income tax credit if the car is a hybrid but no state tax credit at all for a pure EV, like a tesla. That is probably because we have the BMW and Volvo plants here in SC and that is a nod toward their ICEs.

Strangely, SC has an income tax credit if the car is a hybrid but no state tax credit at all for a pure EV, like a tesla. That is probably because we have the BMW and Volvo plants here in SC and that is a nod toward their ICEs.
I'm not sure what income tax credit you are referring to as I don't think one exists in SC.

Last edited:
How come, since you are asking others to share this information, you did not feel the need to share your own costs?
I just did mine, Property tax went up to more than a $1000, and Registration is about $700. Blown away...

Did expect it but it just hurts me I have to do this every year. It's my first time doing property taxes so I was expecting anything to come out, but this is just massive....

$500 - sales tax cap, paid to DMV upon registration
$120 - biannual (every other year) road fee due to lack of paying gas tax
$40 - registration fee
$15 - title fee
$705 - property tax (Greenville County, varies by district)
Most of the fees will be exactly the same for those of us in South Carolina so mine is the same as yours except I paid $678 in property taxes in Horry County.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Wow that's a lot!! I bet your home property tax isn't bad though like it is in Texas.

We pay 6.25% sales tax on the difference between the price of the new vehicle minus the trade in equity. Registration is about $70-80 each year. We have to get our vehicles inspected and that's about $10-15 each year, and unfortunately I live in an emissions county but I don't think that applies to EVs of course. It did on our hybrid though, but they make you pay that as a part of your registration fee. We do not have a property tax on vehicles but I have read that the state legislature is considering a $200 per year "tax" on EVs due to the lack of gas taxes we normally would pay for an ICE/hybrid vehicle. Texas is not a friendly state for EVs from what I hear our politicians say.

$500 - sales tax cap, paid to DMV upon registration
$120 - biannual (every other year) road fee due to lack of paying gas tax
$40 - registration fee
$15 - title fee
$705 - property tax (Greenville County, varies by district)
Are all these fee's and taxes a one time?

Up here in Quebec, Canada, we pay upon full purchase a one time tax of 5% federal sales tax, 9.975% Provincial sales tax (one time taxes)

and then an annual licence/registration fee (depending on what the value of the car and what city you live in) starting at $225 per year.

Are all these fee's and taxes a one time?

Up here in Quebec, Canada, we pay upon full purchase a one time tax of 5% federal sales tax, 9.975% Provincial sales tax (one time taxes)

and then an annual licence/registration fee (depending on what the value of the car and what city you live in) starting at $225 per year.
One time $500 - sales tax cap, paid to DMV upon registration
Biannual $120 - biannual (every other year) road fee due to lack of paying gas tax
One time $40 - registration fee
One time $15 - title fee
Annual, decreases as the value of your car decreases every year $705 - property tax (Greenville County, varies by district)