Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much did you pay for the charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I just ordered my MS a week ago, my order will be confirmed tonight. I am so exciting, can't wait for the road trip, lol.
I am living Seattle, I want to know how much for the charger installation, the sales person told me was around $1000. Which company you guys recommend? What's the rate?

The price can vary wildly depending on what you actually need to have done and whether permits and/or an inspection are required in your area. Assuming you wouldn't need a panel upgrade, are having the HPWC installed near your main panel, and want to target 40A charging (50A circuit install), then the cost could be as low as $300... However, panel upgrades, service upgrades, installing the HPWC far away from your main panel, etc. can all significantly increase installation cost--the details really matter here (seriously, this is the difference between a simple $300 breaker install/10' wire run and a $3000+ monstrosity).

The best advice I could give would be to contact local electricians to get a quote and compare it against Tesla's recommended installers in your area--generally electricians won't charge you to write up an estimate for your project, so contacting three or four will only benefit you when it comes to finding the best balance of price and competence.

Thanks for that context! I guess that should have been obvious to me too... here's hoping my 2009 home with a close main panel wont be crazy! :(

The price can vary wildly depending on what you actually need to have done and whether permits and/or an inspection are required in your area. Assuming you wouldn't need a panel upgrade, are having the HPWC installed near your main panel, and want to target 40A charging (50A circuit install), then the cost could be as low as $300... However, panel upgrades, service upgrades, installing the HPWC far away from your main panel, etc. can all significantly increase installation cost--the details really matter here (seriously, this is the difference between a simple $300 breaker install/10' wire run and a $3000+ monstrosity).

The best advice I could give would be to contact local electricians to get a quote and compare it against Tesla's recommended installers in your area--generally electricians won't charge you to write up an estimate for your project, so contacting three or four will only benefit you when it comes to finding the best balance of price and competence.

Hi everyone, I just ordered my MS a week ago, my order will be confirmed tonight. I am so exciting, can't wait for the road trip, lol.
I am living Seattle, I want to know how much for the charger installation, the sales person told me was around $1000. Which company you guys recommend? What's the rate?

$1000 sounds about right, depends on how long the line will run. Federal tax credit of 30% up to $1000 should pay for the charger, if you owe any taxes. Check your state for incentives as well.

Last edited:
I went down the city hall and pulled my own permit. The electrician charges $400 for installation of the breaker and receptacle which he provided. My panel is right outside of the garage so there is very short distance to run the wire. My installation passed both the city and utility company inspections. If your utility company offers special low rate for charging electric vehicle but requires a separate meter, this may be the time to put in a separate meter and panel just for EV. I was quoted a price of $1,500 for that. Since I can charge at night get almost the same rate, I did not install a separate meter.