Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did you pay for your 50 Amp Outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I measured the 120v 20 amp line my electrician installed, I need about 140 feet of wire. 150' roll is about $250, add to that the 50 amp breaker and a safety switch box; parts alone is about $300 without either a NEMA outlet, Tesla or Chargepoint ($500 utility rebate.) My current 120v currently has a 15 amp outlet. I haven't figured out if I should change the outlet to 20 amp or go 220v.
I'm not sure if you've learned about this yet, but it's the same kind of wire to run for either a 120V or 240V circuit. The wire thickness is just related to the current it needs to carry. So the cost for the wire installation would be the same, whether it is a 120V 20A outlet or a 240V 20A outlet.
I find it is better to charge when I get home when the battery is warm rather than spend quite a bit of 120v power to heat up the battery in the morning.
Is there an issue driving a couple miles in the morning when the battery is cold >30 deg C garage temperature if I am gentle?
You've picked up on that exactly. It does use up a lot of energy unnecessarily if you let it get cold all night long and then try to warm it up again in the morning. There is nothing wrong with driving it cold, and you don't even need to be gentle. That's not a thing with electric motors. The only thing you might not like is that the regeneration might be a bit limited from the battery being cold.

I measured the 120v 20 amp line my electrician installed, I need about 140 feet of wire. 150' roll is about $250, add to that the 50 amp breaker and a safety switch box; parts alone is about $300 without either a NEMA outlet, Tesla or Chargepoint ($500 utility rebate.) My current 120v currently has a 15 amp outlet. I haven't figured out if I should change the outlet to 20 amp or go 220v. ...
Is that 120v circuit dedicated (It only goes to one outlet)? If so, you can upgrade it to a 240v 20a circuit using the existing wiring. You would use the white wire as the second hot, marking it with red tape at each end. Install a 20a double pole breaker, a 6-20 outlet and buy the $35 6-20 adapter for your UMC. That will effectively triple the charging rate over the 120v 15a circuit with just a few dollars worth of parts.

Of course, for the cost you mentioned, I would personally find a 240v 50a circuit well worth the outlay.

45' Run. $475 + tax to run in attic 6-3 NM. $520 + tax to run in conduit on ceiling #6 THHN. I'm going to have them add an additional (unused) conductor to future proof install so it will be bit more.

If I have it run in attic additional cost will be incurred to patch the holes in the ceiling sheetrock they need for access and then paint to match existing ceiling. This is for the Wall Connector so no 14-50 receptacle.

Ugh, everything is more expensive in CA. I paid $450 for an outlet that was installed 3 feet below the breaker box, that had spare breakers. That said, I'm EXTREMELY happy to have the relatively fast charging at home -- waking up to a mostly topped off car in the morning is one of the pleasures of Tesla ownership!!
Well, If I'd known, I could have come helped you put your outlet in. Only thing, most people like to pull a permit (where I live in Napa Valley I don't need one) and I did all my own wiring (as I live in the county I'm allowed to do this at my own property). So I did my outlet for the price of the outlet and box and #6 romex at The Home Depot. Less than $100. No, I don't feel sorry for all the starving electricians. I've been doing this type of stuff my whole life, and with the money I saved, I've bought two Teslas. Plus a house or two. And I think you got ripped off.

a local licensed electrician quoted me $750 for a 14-50 outdoor outlet (25' from the panel). a tesla certified electrician quoted me $1900, saying I need new subpanel. I am waiting for another licensed electrician to give me a quote. For sure i am not going with the tesla one.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0