Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did your electric bill go up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in between two cars right now, one of which is a tesla. I was wondering how much your electric bill went up after you got your tesla?

It depends on how far you commute... And then with a Tesla double that 'cause you're going to want to drive EVerywhere.

Depends on electricity rates where you are.

Before I put solar panels on my roof, I figure my costs to be around 3 cents per mile. Now I'm closer to 0.8 cents per mile.

So, there's that. (My old Honda Civic Hybrid was 9 cents per mile, BMW 3 was 16 cents per mile, and my BMW X5 was closer to 27 cents per mile.)

So, don't forget to offset what your gasoline would have cost.

Oh and I don't have a straight answer to the question as I was already driving electric by the time we added the S (it was our 3rd EV)

Last edited:
We went from 250 kWh/month (just the house) up to around 1400 kWh pr month (house and car). At the cheapest rate here in Denmark that is about $520 pr month. And the car still manages to save us $250 pr month compared to our old diesel.

My condo charged me $2500 to install the 220v outlet, and then now charges me $50/month in extra assessments for the garage electricity. I commute 60 miles roundtrip a day but charge free at work so I probably use less than what they charge.

I imagine the model you drive (Performance or not) also affects how much electricity you will use.

You will want to check on your utility's rate plans.
If they have an EV time of use plan, you will likely want that.

In general, you can plan on using about 1kWh for each 3 miles you drive. So if you drive 1000 miles per month and charge only at home, you will use about 330-350 kWh/month.

For your question, we pay $60-$70/month for two Teslas, driven about 3000 miles/month.

I have driven 46792 km this year so far and it cost me CAD$ 1235.00 in home charging electricity. A lot of the driven km was on trips with free Supercharging. My calculations show that I saved CAD$ 5140.00 in gas ( based on equivalent MB S500 consumption ). Fuel operating cost is 2.6 cents / km.

I use approximately half of my 80% charge (capped max charge limit at 80% total capacity) 5 days a week, with less use on the weekends. When I first got the car, I had not switched to my local PG&E's tiered rate plan. I simply used "off peak" hours (6pm to 5am or whatever). My monthly bill went from about $200 to over $500/mo. After switching to tiered rates, my monthly bill is now down to ~$300. That said, Ive only had this car for 2 months, so this is a very limited cross section I'm drawing from. I should also note I exclusively charge at home. I've used a supercharger a total of twice.