Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much did your electric bill go up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use approximately half of my 80% charge (capped max charge limit at 80% total capacity) 5 days a week, with less use on the weekends. When I first got the car, I had not switched to my local PG&E's tiered rate plan. I simply used "off peak" hours (6pm to 5am or whatever). My monthly bill went from about $200 to over $500/mo. After switching to tiered rates, my monthly bill is now down to ~$300. That said, Ive only had this car for 2 months, so this is a very limited cross section I'm drawing from. I should also note I exclusively charge at home. I've used a supercharger a total of twice.

What was your gasoline bill for your drive before you got your S?

Driving about 1500 miles/mo around Northeastern MA costs me about $90/mo. As National Grid requires a minimum monthly average use of 2500 KWh to be eligible for TOD rates and as New England continues its transition from low cost base load plants, I'm afraid my costs are only going to increase. Because of National Grid's ridiculous high minimum load criteria to access TOD rates, I can and do charge my Models S whenever I want even if that drives up their peak load.

63,000 miles has cost just over $1500 in electricity during 34 months. 1850 miles for $45 or 2.4 cents per mile.

You're paying 7 cents/kWh including distribution charges???

- - - Updated - - -

Driving about 1500 miles/mo around Northeastern MA costs me about $90/mo. As National Grid requires a minimum monthly average use of 2500 KWh to be eligible for TOD rates and as New England continues its transition from low cost base load plants, I'm afraid my costs are only going to increase. Because of National Grid's ridiculous high minimum load criteria to access TOD rates, I can and do charge my Models S whenever I want even if that drives up their peak load.

They SHOULD decrease, but there's a scam going on. 10 years ago average retail was 12c/kWh. Last winter, despite the main source fuel being at historic lows, the price was 24c/kWh.

I just got my first bill and it was $40 more than the same last year. The "super-off-peak" part of the bill was $36. I assume 80% of that was charging as we don't run much else from 11pm to 5am. So $30 for charging.... not bad for 1800 miles driven!

While rebates are still around, I would strongly suggest solar panels. After one year since having them installed I just received a credit for $150 from PSEG. So in essence, the cost was free driving. Solar and EV just go together.
You're right, they do, but spending $30k after all rebates for 50% of your electricity when the monthly bill is ~$100 just doesn't make sense. I wish it did.

6.7c per kwh delivered. (Thank you coal :rolleyes:)

About $30-$40 per month, but I drive 2k per month or more.

This replaces a Tahoe that got about 18 mpg, so needless to say I'm saving quite a bit each month even though gas prices are crazy cheap.

It's that excess wind power that you guys get in TX. Awesome overnight plans...
$0/mo
I have a free nights plan that I charge my two cars for free, with.
That's so not fair!!! We have excess wind power in MN at night that gets wasted & yet our TOU rates are a rip off & our local utility offers an EV plan which requires sub-metering at a cost of multiple thousand dollars which makes their plans worthless.
Our Energy charge with standard rates is $0.0804/kWh for winter & $0.08671/kWh in the summer, plus the fuel cost charge (about $0.03/kwh) & all the other fees/taxes. The TOU plan would be $0.03015/kWh from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am plus weekends/holidays. The peak rate would be $0.20077/kWh in the summer & $0.16454 in the winter. Additionally, the monthly basic service charge would go up by $4 per month to have TOU versus standard service. Since we live in an apartment it wouldn't make sense for us to go TOU since our EVs don't charge on our circuit. We use a small enough amount of electricity in our apartment that the $4 increase in monthly service charge would cost us more than we'd save. Our EVs charge in the underground garage which is three-phase industrial power which is billed to the complex owner. They charge us $40 a month for about 1300 miles of EV driving between the two cars. We track our kWh used via the Trip Meters of each car to make sure we aren't using more power than we're paying for. It's been about 1.5 years & it's worked well. If we end up replacing our two EVs with a Model S we would expect to keep the same cost & a similar amount of monthly kWh used.

My SCE bill went down about $30 with the Tesla on the time of use plan (11c off peak and 34c high peak) compared with the old without theEV.

Agree, I also live in T.O. and my SCE bill went down about $50 but I changed the pool equipment to run during the TOU period. That won't work in the summer but for now it's additional savings.