Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much discount is fair for a NEW P3D with 2k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you buy a NEW P3D if it had 2k miles on it? How many thousands discount would you expect off the price? Does it mean it's a demo car, or an older service loaner from this spring?

I ask because there's a chance the tires are worn out, etc. Anything else to look for when picking it up? Would I have the right to expect the tires are replaced with new ones, since I heard the 20" performance tires are thin?

Personally, I would insist on at least a grand before I'd even consider it. However, from what I've seen here, the discount is likely to be much less than that.

2000 miles isn't really enough for significant tire wear (unless they spent a bunch time doing burnouts), and they are not likely to replace them.

My S P85D and S P100D were "inventory new" (meaning never titled, but potentially used for test drives). The discounts was in the ~$10k range with ~2k miles. Note that for both of them timing was apparently important -- the P85D was bought only a couple weeks before they announced P90D, and the P100D was bought on New Year's Eve. YMMV.

No regrets.

Would you buy a NEW P3D if it had 2k miles on it? How many thousands discount would you expect off the price? Does it mean it's a demo car, or an older service loaner from this spring?

I ask because there's a chance the tires are worn out, etc. Anything else to look for when picking it up? Would I have the right to expect the tires are replaced with new ones, since I heard the 20" performance tires are thin?

How much do you want one now or do you want to wait?
I've seen people ponder this decision and then become moot as someone else wanted it more.

Thank you Dave and Brian! My discount is in the $3k range which seems similar to your $10k, given that the P3 is at least half the price of the P model S in those days, and also considering there is value to getting the car presumably 2 months earlier than a custom order, so I could use it during the holidays, and finally to make sure I can get the car in time for $1,850 credit. So potentially it's really a savings of $5k+ if I think of it this way, and nice that I don't have to worry about upgrading range or acceleration later. I'm going for it!

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
My sticker on my Model X P100D 2017 was $174,000!!! Crazy I know I have no idea how it was that high? Blue, white interior, 6 seat with center counsel. It was an inventory car never titles with 21000 miles in it. I had to pick it up in 2 days or the deal was lost end of quarter pricing. They took $60,000.00off sticker. My sales man said this was the largest discount he has ever seen. I was also able to claim the $7500 tax credit since it was never titled. I have been very happy with the X only one issue was new wiper blades.

My sticker on my Model X P100D 2017 was $174,000!!! Crazy I know I have no idea how it was that high? Blue, white interior, 6 seat with center counsel. It was an inventory car never titles with 21000 miles in it. I had to pick it up in 2 days or the deal was lost end of quarter pricing. They took $60,000.00off sticker. My sales man said this was the largest discount he has ever seen. I was also able to claim the $7500 tax credit since it was never titled. I have been very happy with the X only one issue was new wiper blades.

Wow! 60k off but the sticker was relatively inflated.. i doubt we will see that type of % or $ discount now with the new MSRPs. On the other hand like the X, the P3 does have more margin vs the other trims.

Last edited:

I forget what I was told by a Sr Sales Adviser, but I think the standard discount is like $0.25/mile with Tesla... so $500 is probably what they would knock off. Anything above that probably is getting lucky.