Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do highway chargers influence your EV purchase poll.

How much do highway chargers influence your EV purchase?

• Public chargers are like public toilets, always use the clean one at home.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Highway chargers are nice but not critical

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Highway chargers will be built eventually, I need an EV now though.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I won't use anything but highway chargers, no working DC no EV purchase full stop.

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model 3 natively, and an S/X with the CCS adapter, can use the Qld electric hwy all the way to Cairns. Sure it's only 50kW charging but at 200km/h (or a bit more for the 3) it's not bad. Once better chargers come in the cars can charge at supercharger (120kW) rates.
You can also use the ChadeMo adapter and do the trip today. Interestingly the difference between a 50kW charger and a 120kW charger is moot when the car tapers as it charges. In my experience the car is ready to go before we are, so the extra time charging would probably make very little difference.

Thanks for the responses, I'm just starting to learn all about this, and to be honest, all the acronyms and terminology have my head spinning at the moment.
Basically even a Tesla on a supercharger starts at a fast 120kW charging speed if the battery is near empty (say 20%).
It will keep this charging speed until the battery is about 60% full, then it progressively slows down as the battery gets fuller. By the time you’re at 90% the charge speed might be only 20kW.

So, long story short, if you’re doing a long road trip with several supercharging charging stops, your best bet is to try to arrive at each stop with about 20% battery, and leave as soon as you have enough juice to get to the next stop with 20%.

ChaDeMo is a bit simpler, and basically just gives you about 50kW the whole time. Still pretty good.

How do you pay for CHAdeMO?
CHAdeMO is just the plug type and charging protocols. The cost depends on the owner of the CHAdeMO charger.
The QLD Electric Super Highway is owned by the QLD government.
Queensland's Electric Super Highway | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government
In NSW the local motoring association NRMA is rolling them out and they are currently free.
In Victoria it’s ChargeFox and whilst initially free, I would install the ChargeFox app on your phone and create an account.
Model S and X need a CHAdeMO adapter to use this type of charge plug but Model 3 so far are not compatible and it’s not guaranteed that they ever will be. Most if not all non Tesla quick chargers in Australia will have dual plugs, CHAdeMO and CCS2 and it’s understood that Australian Model 3’s will have CCS2 ports natively so will be able to use that plug on other networks without an adapter.

CHAdeMO is just the plug type and charging protocols. The cost depends on the owner of the CHAdeMO charger.
The QLD Electric Super Highway is owned by the QLD government.
Queensland's Electric Super Highway | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government
In NSW the local motoring association NRMA is rolling them out and they are currently free.
In Victoria it’s ChargeFox and whilst initially free, I would install the ChargeFox app on your phone and create an account.
Model S and X need a CHAdeMO adapter to use this type of charge plug but Model 3 so far are not compatible and it’s not guaranteed that they ever will be. Most if not all non Tesla quick chargers in Australia will have dual plugs, CHAdeMO and CCS2 and it’s understood that Australian Model 3’s will have CCS2 ports natively so will be able to use that plug on other networks without an adapter.
Thanks for the info and link, the QLD site says it was free up till Dec 2018,

I guess if our M3 is compatible, I'll find out in due coarse.. Cheers

I would have thought the car would specify the charge rate, not the charger?
It’s a combination of both, that’s what the protocols are for.
The original CHAdeMO standard was 50 Kw but later development has increased the capacity of these chargers, but a 2012 Nissan Leaf will still charge at 50 Kw max.
Similarly the CCS2 chargers being rolled out by ChargeFox are rated at 350Kw and I understand only the Porsche Taycan will be able to charge at that rate. All others will charge at the max rate of the car which for the Model 3 is about 150Kw IIRC.

It’s a combination of both, that’s what the protocols are for.
The original CHAdeMO standard was 50 Kw but later development has increased the capacity of these chargers, but a 2012 Nissan Leaf will still charge at 50 Kw max.
Similarly the CCS2 chargers being rolled out by ChargeFox are rated at 350Kw and I understand only the Porsche Taycan will be able to charge at that rate. All others will charge at the max rate of the car which for the Model 3 is about 150Kw IIRC.
Actually a Model 3 can do 250kW on a V3 supercharger.
Very impressive.
average-time-charging.jpg