Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you get per mile for business miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems that you can claim 45p/mile according tpo these links.

Expenses and benefits: business travel mileage for employees' own vehicles

"When using a privately owned electric vehicle at work, it is possible to claim for mileage too. These are known as AMAP rates and just like diesel or petrol cars, the amount that can be claimed is 45p per mile tax-free for the first 10,000 business miles. The rate for subsequent miles is 25p per mile."

Reading this link, it says the Advisory Fuel Rates are applicable for company car usage only

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadawinsk
The government has totally screwed us over if I can't.

Not sure about that ... a good overnight rate is around 2-3p per mile, not sure why you are feeling screwed over if you can get tax relief to 45p ?. Rapid charging is 30p (or occasionally 60p if you have to use Ionity and aren't driving a VAG etc ...), but even for a high mileage driver that's unlikely to be more than 20% of their charging for anyone doing out-and-back journeys; not so good for a travelling-salesman with multiple overnight stops.

For anyone without home-charging, or with a landlord that means cannot choose electricity supplier for some reason, that will be a different story. Destination chargers, when shopping etc., are likely to be 30p-ish, that's around 10p / mile

Going to be complicated for taxman to allow for all the various scenarios ... it would be nice to see the high mileage people that visit me (company provided cars of some sort, including NHS-folk etc.) moving to EVs.

"When using a privately owned electric vehicle at work, it is possible to claim for mileage too. These are known as AMAP rates and just like diesel or petrol cars, the amount that can be claimed is 45p per mile tax-free for the first 10,000 business miles. The rate for subsequent miles is 25p per mile."

Reading this link, it says the Advisory Fuel Rates are applicable for company car usage only

Phew, I've been claiming tax on the difference between the gov and company rate for years and I'd hate to be a theif!

Not sure about that ... a good overnight rate is around 2-3p per mile, not sure why you are feeling screwed over if you can get tax relief to 45p ?. Rapid charging is 30p (or occasionally 60p if you have to use Ionity and aren't driving a VAG etc ...), but even for a high mileage driver that's unlikely to be more than 20% of their charging for anyone doing out-and-back journeys; not so good for a travelling-salesman with multiple overnight stops.

For anyone without home-charging, or with a landlord that means cannot choose electricity supplier for some reason, that will be a different story. Destination chargers, when shopping etc., are likely to be 30p-ish, that's around 10p / mile

Going to be complicated for taxman to allow for all the various scenarios ... it would be nice to see the high mileage people that visit me (company provided cars of some sort, including NHS-folk etc.) moving to EVs.
I'm struggling to get a home charger installed and even when I do the rate I'll be able to get won't be anywhere near as good as some of you have atm. Rapid charging is more like 40-50p/kWhr these days. I'm going to need to have a couple of decent supercharger stops next week, at best around half of the charge I use will be at 40-45p/kWhr and the other half free. There was a decent chunk over and above my petrol costs with my previous car (for things like tyre wear & additional servicing caused by doing the business miles) which simply isn't there on the EV rate.

At 40p a kWh that’s still 10p a mile or so isn’t it? Then factor in the free charging and you are probably just about breaking even.

Then claim tax relief on the difference and you will be up overall but yeah it’s a bit tight if you can’t home charge.

I'm struggling to get a home charger installed and even when I do the rate I'll be able to get won't be anywhere near as good as some of you have atm. Rapid charging is more like 40-50p/kWhr these days. I'm going to need to have a couple of decent supercharger stops next week, at best around half of the charge I use will be at 40-45p/kWhr and the other half free. There was a decent chunk over and above my petrol costs with my previous car (for things like tyre wear & additional servicing caused by doing the business miles) which simply isn't there on the EV rate.
If you don't/can't have a home charger then maybe worth a punt Co Charger - Neighbourhood EV charger sharing made easy

Reactions: Lockey
the rate I'll be able to get won't be anywhere near as good as some of you have atm

Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking why is that? I'm curious if there are situations where, for example, landlord contracts prevents changing tariff.

But, yeah, its circa £600 - 1,000 for a home charger, to be found out of car allowance,. along with a much more expensive (but cheaper to run) EV ...

Have Sparky fit an outdoor Commando socket maybe? (and then the Commando adaptor for granny cable). I think that would be cheaper than the wall charger route, but have to disconnect the cable and put it in the car if you need it when away from home.

To be clear, to the HMRC you can claim upto 45p a mile for using a personal car without it counting as a taxable benefit. What your employer chooses to pay is entirely up to them, they can pay at any rate they like, all you can do is quit.

If you receive less than 45p/mile from your employer you can also claim a tax relief on the difference between what your employer pays and 45p, see Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Different employers take different approaches. For example I worked for a company where we got a 'car perk' worth £500 /month that was supposed to cover the cost of car and maintenance, then they paid at the same rate as company cars for miles (so 5p /mile for electric). We could claim back tax relief which then realistically left us with about 20p/mile.

My current employer is more generous (in many ways) and the car perk is just considered salary, and we can claim the full 45p/mile, not that I've done many miles since 2020.

Having worked for large employers most of my life with generous remuneration packages beyond salary, it was quite a shock to move to a smaller company that didn't offer nearly as many benefits. I didn't stay long. As I'm approaching 50 and starting to take stock of planning my future I'm very thankful for all the years that previous employers paid good amounts into my pension.

it was quite a shock to move to a smaller company that didn't offer nearly as many benefits

We are small company; we used to have a range of benefits, but not much any more. Far too much management time spent on "So and so is paying more than us" and then, after wasting a good deal of time on investigation, our benefits, and "package", were far better than theirs - so more time spent persuading people that it wasn't actually better. So now we just pay salary (generous I think ... people tend to stay ...).

If you want to you can navigate-to somewhere else, nearby, to prevent pre-condition ... CONSUMPTION (on the TRIP tab) will show predicted arrival %age, which will go up. Once you get closer you can revert to Navigate-To the Supercharger, to get pre-conditioning on, and see if you are comfortable with the revised predicted arrival %age.

There's been a recent thread about this where pre-conditioning seems to be coming on very early; debatable if that is a bug, or Tesla wanting to maximise battery temperature by arrival and thereby reduce the dwell time to free up the stall "soonest". Pretty sure that pre-condition didn't use to start that far out.
Also not helped when the nav decides the original SC is near capacity so changes your chargestop and starts precharging for a closer one. I had this yesterday so as I decided to still go to the original SC I had 2 periods of conditioning occur, albeit the first cancelled when I reset destination. Not sure how long it had been on for though as I was on a long stretch of motorway, next (original) junction 30 miles away, it was only because I glanced at the screen I realised.

Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking why is that? I'm curious if there are situations where, for example, landlord contracts prevents changing tariff.

But, yeah, its circa £600 - 1,000 for a home charger, to be found out of car allowance,. along with a much more expensive (but cheaper to run) EV ...

Have Sparky fit an outdoor Commando socket maybe? (and then the Commando adaptor for granny cable). I think that would be cheaper than the wall charger route, but have to disconnect the cable and put it in the car if you need it when away from home.
I haven't actually looked at the deals you can get from the likes of Octopus yet but I'm assuming that new contracts will be at a higher p/kWhr than previous ones. I'm just waiting on an installation company to turn up to fit the charger and do the associated cabling (which reminds me I need to chase them again).

To be clear, to the HMRC you can claim upto 45p a mile for using a personal car without it counting as a taxable benefit. What your employer chooses to pay is entirely up to them, they can pay at any rate they like, all you can do is quit.

If you receive less than 45p/mile from your employer you can also claim a tax relief on the difference between what your employer pays and 45p, see Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Different employers take different approaches. For example I worked for a company where we got a 'car perk' worth £500 /month that was supposed to cover the cost of car and maintenance, then they paid at the same rate as company cars for miles (so 5p /mile for electric). We could claim back tax relief which then realistically left us with about 20p/mile.

My current employer is more generous (in many ways) and the car perk is just considered salary, and we can claim the full 45p/mile, not that I've done many miles since 2020.

Having worked for large employers most of my life with generous remuneration packages beyond salary, it was quite a shock to move to a smaller company that didn't offer nearly as many benefits. I didn't stay long. As I'm approaching 50 and starting to take stock of planning my future I'm very thankful for all the years that previous employers paid good amounts into my pension.
You're lucky, I get £500 pm as a car allowance (that the taxman takes his cut from) then 6p/mile. That said the rest of my package is OK, I had a close call with redundancy last year so investigated my pension and found it was better than I thought so it's not all bad.

Reactions: GRiLLA