Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does a Roadster battery really cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My "Ranger" visit last week was conducted by a true professional who after a few minutes of diagnostics looked at me and said with empathy "Your Battery is a brick"! My eye began to quiver and my heart started to race...No, really this was no surprise as the car was in storage before I purchased it and had not been charged. We needed to confirm it before our next step.

I received an invoice from TM which included the cost of the new Battery and labor. Now I've seen a bunch of numbers on paper before but these were big! Before I attempt to negotiate a lower, more reasonable price, has anyone had to replace a Battery? If so, what was your total cost?
I've heard and read a Battery can cost between 20 and 30K and if you purchased the warranty 12K. I'm not looking for hearsay or rumors, but actual numbers. If anyone can assist, I would greatly appreciate it. If you want to keep your info private, PM me I will not repost your information.

Thanks again...

My "Ranger" visit last week was conducted by a true professional who after a few minutes of diagnostics looked at me and said with empathy "Your Battery is a brick"! My eye began to quiver and my heart started to race...No, really this was no surprise as the car was in storage before I purchased it and had not been charged. We needed to confirm it before our next step.

I received an invoice from TM which included the cost of the new Battery and labor. Now I've seen a bunch of numbers on paper before but these were big! Before I attempt to negotiate a lower, more reasonable price, has anyone had to replace a Battery? If so, what was your total cost?
I've heard and read a Battery can cost between 20 and 30K and if you purchased the warranty 12K. I'm not looking for hearsay or rumors, but actual numbers. If anyone can assist, I would greatly appreciate it. If you want to keep your info private, PM me I will not repost your information.

Thanks again...

You could probably get Tesla down to 38k but they are not very negotiable. Tesla will be coming out with reduced capacity-cheaper ReMan batteries in the next few months. You may want to talk to Tesla service about this option. The warranty will be of the 1 year or 12k mile variant- for all battery replacements.

$38K sounds about right after labor (was told 40 hours to do the change-out) I would ask for the old battery and sell it here. There are tinkerers who would want such a part for a project.

You might also ask if they want to use you as a test bed beta driver for the cheaper batteries or the longer range batteries that are rumored.

$38K sounds about right after labor (was told 40 hours to do the change-out) I would ask for the old battery and sell it here. There are tinkerers who would want such a part for a project.

You might also ask if they want to use you as a test bed beta driver for the cheaper batteries or the longer range batteries that are rumored.

40 hours sounds very high, probably close to 20 for a pair of inexperienced techs. I have seen it done in a day. Tesla will not let you keep the defective battery as it is a structural part- this is the same reason why you cannot purchase the battery and install it yourself.

40 hours sounds very high, probably close to 20 for a pair of inexperienced techs. I have seen it done in a day. Tesla will not let you keep the defective battery as it is a structural part- this is the same reason why you cannot purchase the battery and install it yourself.

Agreed a day swap sound more reasonable. I was told 40 :(

In California mechanics are legally required to give you any replaced parts you ask for. Up to recently most all repairs were all under warranty so they could keep the parts.

I suppose they cannot stop anyone from buying any part. Body shops buy structural parts all the time.

Hope Tesla doesn't do something odd like a "core charge" where you'd have no choice due to the high core charge.

In California mechanics are legally required to give you any replaced parts you ask for. Up to recently most all repairs were all under warranty so they could keep the parts.

I suppose they cannot stop anyone from buying any part. Body shops buy structural parts all the time.

Last edited:
Hope Tesla doesn't do something odd like a "core charge" where you'd have no choice do to the high core charge.

They get around laws like California's by charging very high core charges. For the ESS I would guess at least 50% of the price would be added on if they couldn't keep the old one. They have sold a lot of used cells from battery replacements. I was told by a guy who worked for a medical equipment manufacturer that Tesla has a good reputation for their used cells because they are usually in pretty good condition.

EVsport: did you get a chance to drive the car before you bought it to confirm it worked?

If the market value of a used Roadster is about $70k, and a new battery is $40k - then is the market value of a used Roadster with a dead battery $30k?
If the new Roadster is $110k, how much of the discount is due to battery wear?
The other components are: drivetrain wear, paint wear, interior wear, lack of warrantee.
I'd argue its more than $30k, because the biggest scare factor of a used Roadster is battery wear. With a new battery, the single most important component is like a new car.

I hope you knew the battery was likely dead and paid an appropriate price.

If the market value of a used Roadster is about $70k, and a new battery is $40k - then is the market value of a used Roadster with a dead battery $30k?
The other components are: drivetrain wear, paint wear, interior wear, lack of warrantee.
I'd argue its more than $30k, because the biggest scare factor of a used Roadster is battery wear. With a new battery, the single most important component is like a new car.

The problem with this scenario is that your warranty is only 12k miles or 1 year for a brand new battery. The battery is by far the most expensive piece of equipment on any Tesla- comparable in cost to a high end ICE in a luxury vehicle. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti and Lexus all offer a long powertrain warranty on their ICE motors when replaced. Tesla should at least offer a 3 year 36k mile warranty on a new pack when purchased.

The current replaced battery warranty is borderline ridiculous.

Agree completely...I'd bet a used Roadster with a new battery and (anticipated) forthcoming performance motor & PEM upgrades could be worth more than the original Roadster price (a few years down the road)...scarcity+ performance = value^

Thanks for the information! The average cost is about $38,500 for a new battery, labor included. My understanding at the time of purchase, the battery was a brick but the rest of the car was in good working condition with no major issues. Originally the car had been in an accident that required a new passenger door and right rear quarter panel. The repair shop did an outstanding job completing the body work with replacement parts to near perfect conditions. Hopefully the Roadster will perform as expected and be back on the road shortly.

Thanks again...