Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does gas have to be to match Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in socal ( well for me ) SC rates are basically the same as home rates. Even not peak hour rate is around .20 cents per kw. So if i would charge my M3P 0-100, it will be about 15$ if I can even charge during off peak hours. A SC will run me 22.4. Gas i. socal for premium is about 3.30. Before the oil wars, it was around 4.10-4.30 . I used to drive a 2016 Miata with a 11 gallon tank. It would cost me around 40$ (you don't actually get the whole 11 due to air space) which gave me about 300 miles. So I'm saving roughly 25$ a week.

Reactions: house9
These numbers don't factor in everything. The supreme inconvenience of dealing with gas stations - you'd have to pay me to start doing that again.

Yeah, I'm happy I don't have to be a sitting duck at a gas station in the ghetto. If you don't get robbed, you just have to say no to a super aggressive pan handler.

And starting out near full is like the idea of never going to a gas station. Not being required to stop at a gas station saves so much time in the long run, that I am fine having to supercharge on longer trips because they don't have very frequently, i would say I had to supercharge only 2-3 times in a year to make it home. I live in OC so its usually like going to Santa Barbara or San Diego for a day trip.

Reactions: JøhP
Here's what I think are my worst-case figures. Given that I charge at a local Supercharger that has a rate of $0.28 / kWh, my last charge (to 100%) added 70 miles of range and cost me $5.60. This works out to 285Wh/mi (5.60 / 0.28 = 20kWh; 20000Wh / 70 miles = 285.71Wh/mi), which is more than what I see on my lifetime odometer so that's what leads me to believe it's above normal:

20200326_011611_small.jpg

That last charge effectively cost me $0.08 / mile ($5.60 / 70 miles). My previous ride, a 2000 BMW 323i, got about 25 miles per gallon combined city-highway driving; pretty much the same type of driving I did before this charge. In order for me to get $0.08 / mi from the Bimmer, gas would have to be $2.00 / gal (25mpg * $0.08). That's not going to happen around these parts for some time, but the current COVID-19 situation could make a liar out of me.

I was in Kissimmee, Florida a couple of weeks ago and regular was $2.19 (87 octane, ethanol blend I think), so there I'd be about even if I was using regular. BMW recommended using 91 octane and that was $2.69 in FL; these prices I'm quoting were at a Wawa. I'm not exactly sure what the local gas prices are nowdays, so I just went on Gasbuddy.com and it lists $2.99 for regular and $3.27 for supreme as the lowest prices in my area.

I'm lucky to have access to few free Type2 chargers so for gas to match even it would have to have negative price because of all those regular servicing and ICE needs... oil, filter, belt.
If I'd have to pay for energy, the gas would need to be about free to match even.

Reactions: aronymous
My Model 3 has a lifetime kWh of 262 Wh/mi and I pay $0.12 per kWh at home, so that’s roughly $0.03 per mile. My wife’s Jeep probably gets around 25mpg and the cheapest gas I’ve seen in my town recently is $2.09 a gallon, so that’s roughly $0.08 per mile. Gas would have to approach $0.80 a gallon for her Jeep to match my 3 in fuel costs.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Ok I am having a slow day, I have solar on my roof.
I would love to do the math but I am a lazy person.
Lets just say I now hate the smell of gas, and I spent
years cleaning parts with that stuff. You would have to pay
me to go ICE.

It depends on your electricity rates. For superchargers, the average it costs is $0.26/kwh . Since our model 3s have 75kWh batteries, 90% of that is 67.5. So hypothetically, if you were to charge from 0-67.5 kwh (90%), then that would cost $17.55, which would roughly yield you 292 miles, assuming you hit the EPA rating.

So, if you were trying to do an apples to apples comparison like you're inquiring about above, then here are my calculations:

gas guzzlers @10 miles/gallon based on $2.85/gallon of gas (based on national avg according to Tesla) for a tank of 292 miles: $83

normal sedans @30 miles/gallon: $27.74

hybrids @ 60 miles/gallon: $13.85

Mind you, the above comparisons are based on supercharger rates. Again, we (or at least most of us) get much better rates charging at home.

I like your calculation but you missed charging losses which is the same for everyone and you can't get around.

Optimistically say 90% efficient. So that brings you back to around 75kWh to get 90% of the battery.

That moves your number of $17.55 to $19.50

BTW, Most people that say they pay $0.07/kWh don't know how to read their electric bill.

This doesn't include phantom drain either.

My Model 3 has a lifetime kWh of 262 Wh/mi and I pay $0.12 per kWh at home, so that’s roughly $0.03 per mile. My wife’s Jeep probably gets around 25mpg and the cheapest gas I’ve seen in my town recently is $2.09 a gallon, so that’s roughly $0.08 per mile. Gas would have to approach $0.80 a gallon for her Jeep to match my 3 in fuel costs.

I love when folks compare a mid size sedan to a Jeep.

Most mid-size sedans are in their high 30's and Hybrids are in their 50's.

If your model 3 displays 262 Wh/mi then you are paying ~288 Wh/mi to charge it.

Reactions: holmgang
I compare my Model S to my previous Camaro SS. The Camaro averaged 16 mpg and had less acceleration. It did sound great though, if loud pipes is your thing. :D The Camaro was faster too since I had it up to 163 mph once. I don't think I've gone over 135 mph in the S. Top speed is only for bragging rights though.

FYI - I got my 2012 Prius up to 113 mph ... eventually ... on a slight downhill section of road. It started smelling really hot though, and felt very sketchy. :)

Here in central texas and im sure many places, we have the option for free overnight usage of electricity, which benefits the grid. so gas would have to be free and still the cost of maintenance and service would still make the tesla a better economic purchase, given I drive 80 miles a day for my commute. never going back

Not all of us :(

Home costs range from $0.24 - $0.28 cents here, Supercharger rates are basically the same for me.

What part of California are you located in? I'm in San Diego and SDG&E offers a program for ev owners @ $.09 kWh if you charge after midnight + ($18 monthly fee. did the math still much cheaper then $.31 supercharger I use)

PG&E in the the bay area/northern California offers a similar program (where I'm from, family still lives there). And from my research, most if not all power companies offer this. You should look into it.

• Informative
Reactions: JøhP and adhoc
One way to find your cost per kWh is to take the bottom number, the one you write the check for, and divide it by the number of kWh used. Very simple and is the actual cost to you including tax, fees, bonds, fuel charges, coal ash deposit cleanup fees, bonus money for the CEO, payoffs to the public utilities commissioners, etc., whatever they can add. The number shown as their kWh cost has little meaning to the end consumer.

What part of California are you located in? I'm in San Diego and SDG&E offers a program for ev owners @ $.09 kWh if you charge after midnight + ($18 monthly fee. did the math still much cheaper then $.31 supercharger I use)

PG&E in the the bay area/northern California offers a similar program (where I'm from, family still lives there). And from my research, most if not all power companies offer this. You should look into it.

Before solar, that is what I paid. It takes nothing to charge the car overnight.