Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does gas have to be to match Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get free charging at work so gas would have to be free.

Same with me, free charging while parked at work. Can't beat that!

Anyway, I'm a speed junkie so my last 2 cars required premium fuel. Assuming to and from work only, I paid about $30 a week with my last car. Based on 0.11 / kwh, it would cost about $4.47 dollars a week with my model 3 if I had to charge at home. Right now, I'm paying $0 :).

Reactions: JøhP
Bet mine's cheaper: I charge at work for free. :p

In the 11,473 miles I've driven Nikola, I have spent a grand total of $3.30 to charge (one time at a ChargePoint), so my cost per mile has been $0.0003 per mile

I actually have that option too... but since it'd save me about 25 cents a day, but require parking in a much crappier location, it's not worth the savings.... (also if you don't get there early enough all the EV spots are full- and getting up earlier SURE ain't worth saving a quarter!)

What part of California are you located in? I'm in San Diego and SDG&E offers a program for ev owners @ $.09 kWh if you charge after midnight + ($18 monthly fee. did the math still much cheaper then $.31 supercharger I use)

PG&E in the the bay area/northern California offers a similar program (where I'm from, family still lives there). And from my research, most if not all power companies offer this. You should look into it.

I am on Monterey County utility - but its really just PG&E at the end of the day. The county sources from renewable sources and hydro as much as possible. I can opt out and join PG&E which has basically the same rates.

PG&E does offer EV2-A plan:
$0.17 from midnight - 3pm
$0.37 from 3pm - 4pm
$0.48 from 4pm - 9pm
$0.37 from 9pm - 12am

I haven’t done the math but eye-balling it, looks pretty close to the same? Maybe a little bit cheaper.

I don’t have very heavy car charging needs at the moment.

• Informative
So how much does gas need to cost per gallon to drive the same distance as a Model 3 for the same amount of cost? I have not really figured out what it costs to drive a fully charged Tesla Model 3, or at 90% since that's what you're supposed to charge at for normal use.

Gas guzzler (Hummer / F-150 / Escalade / G-wagon) : 10 miles gallon

Normal sedan (Civic / Mercedes C-class / BMW 3) : 20-30 miles gallon

Hybrids (Prius) : 40-60 mile gallon

This is the best I can do. Maybe someone here is more knowledgable and can make a better table, but as a normal person that just sees a car on the showroom, this is the best I can do. Plus it seems like luxury cars don't seem to push for the lowest cost per mile when they make hybrids, I think the longest range hybrid is a normal car like a Toyota, not Lexus / BMW / Mercedes.
Depends how your driving style is, how much you’re paying for gas, how much you’d pay for electricity.

I have a model that indicates the break point using charging at 25c/kWh to be $1.75/gal on most sedans in the same size/power range of the Model 3.

So if you’re paying 10c/kWh average, gas would need to be well under $1/gal to break even. (We’re not there yet but we could be if the price wars continue)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Wow some of you are paying some oppressive rates. We are paying somewhere between .09 and .11 a month. I can’t imagine paying my bill during the summer when the a/c is making us use 4,000kw a month.

Yeah, lucky for me I live near the coast and do not need or have AC.

Majority of my utility bill is for Gas from running heaters during the winter. House has subpar insulation and its a rental so no fixing that anytime soon.

These numbers don't factor in everything. The supreme inconvenience of dealing with gas stations - you'd have to pay me to start doing that again.

And the cost of things like a home charger are not included either. Gas stations are everywhere and take all of 5 minutes a week to use. NEMA 14-50 installations can cost over $1000 in this area. That pretty much ruins any savings. Then you have the issue of forgetting to plug in at night and waking up to find that you have to scramble to locate a supercharger, get to it and wait for 30+ minutes to get the needed charge.

I really love my hybrid....

And the cost of things like a home charger are not included either. Gas stations are everywhere and take all of 5 minutes a week to use. NEMA 14-50 installations can cost over $1000 in this area . That pretty much ruins any savings.

That's about what mine cost.

I made that back in 5 months of savings not buying gasoline though.

Then you have the issue of forgetting to plug in at night

Roughly 550 nights of ownership so far- never has happened.

I walk past the port and charge plug to get from the drivers seat to the door from garage to house. Pause 5 seconds to plug in, then continue to house.

Full (well, 90%) every morning.

Instead of having to worry about being late to work stopping for gas, or hitting worse rush hour having to do it on the way home. Ever.

I really love my hybrid....

Can't see why. Gotta worry about eventual battery life, and the EV systems... PLUS all the baggage, noise, smell, and maintenance of an ICE as well AND you still have to keep stopping and buying gas at gas stations? ... it's the worst of both worlds.

Right now my M3P is new so my energy use is high since I keep blasting around. Even with my current consumption, gas would need to be 81c to match my previous ICE car. If I am good and drive more reasonable it drops to around 60c. That assumes I baby my ICE car.

I think there are still some pretty good tax incentives for home charger installs?

I just used an existing dryer plug, $35 for the adapter and all good.

Yep, my electric company offered a $500 rebate for buying an EV, so I used that towards an install of a nema 14-50 outlet. I eventually bought a Tesla HPWC for $500 that can be plugged into the 14-50 outlet just to "complete" my set up of having a tesla car and matching charger, which I hardly use because I too get to charge for free at my work.

• Informative
Without going through the machinations, a Model 3 cost of ownership will beat any ICE vehicle, end of story. All of the other costs to maintain an ICE vehicle in addition to the gas is way more than an EV (even more so with a Model 3). Also add in the intangible benefits and it’s not even a conversation/debate to be had.

Just remember that gas prices are hugely variable and open to manipulation.

It has little to do with Covid-19 and everything to do with Saudi trying to kill the US oil industry. There is a drop in demand, but they are increasing output to force the oil price even lower. US operators, especially shale, need at least $40 a barrel, Saudi only needs $18 a barrel to still make profits. It looks as if they are going to manipulate the markets down to about $20. A prolonged price like this will certainly kill off the US shale producers.

And the prices will rise in the summer again.

So how much does gas need to cost per gallon to drive the same distance as a Model 3 for the same amount of cost? I have not really figured out what it costs to drive a fully charged Tesla Model 3, or at 90% since that's what you're supposed to charge at for normal use.

Gas guzzler (Hummer / F-150 / Escalade / G-wagon) : 10 miles gallon

Normal sedan (Civic / Mercedes C-class / BMW 3) : 20-30 miles gallon

Hybrids (Prius) : 40-60 mile gallon

This is the best I can do. Maybe someone here is more knowledgable and can make a better table, but as a normal person that just sees a car on the showroom, this is the best I can do. Plus it seems like luxury cars don't seem to push for the lowest cost per mile when they make hybrids, I think the longest range hybrid is a normal car like a Toyota, not Lexus / BMW / Mercedes.

it is already cheaper to drive a diesel car then it is to supercharge...In America probably petrol too.

• Disagree
Just remember that gas prices are hugely variable and open to manipulation.

It has little to do with Covid-19 and everything to do with Saudi trying to kill the US oil industry. There is a drop in demand, but they are increasing output to force the oil price even lower. US operators, especially shale, need at least $40 a barrel, Saudi only needs $18 a barrel to still make profits. It looks as if they are going to manipulate the markets down to about $20. A prolonged price like this will certainly kill off the US shale producers.

And the prices will rise in the summer again.
Yup Russia and Saudi couldn’t agree on limiting production. Russia wanted to keep production up. They didn’t agree so the price war began. Russia didn’t want to lower prices if anything they wanted to boost production to kill the us shale industry. Heck who cares I have an EV. Im not into fracking. It’s super bad for our drinking supply.

Reactions: JøhP and emailrob