Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does Home Charging installation cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got two quotes to run 100 amp service on #2 AWG wire about 50' across the basement to and through an outside wall on the back of my house, into a Shutoff Switch (apparently required by local code) and then around the corner of the outside of my house to a very nearby HPWC on the brick. Both estimates were almost exactly $1,600. I went with the one that gave me the estimate in 1 day and got my address right on the estimate. The work took one morning and looks great.

I'm planning on purchasing a Tesla MS before the end of the year, so I'd like to get a general idea how much Home Charging Installation will cost me. My problem is that my garage is detached, and it is pretty far from my electric panel in my basement. However, my idea is that I can install the charger on the side of my house and run wires to my basement. It would definitely be less than 50 ft from the side of house to my panel. There's a supercharge about 10min away from my house, but I think it will become too troublesome if I need to go there every other day. I asked one of my co-worker's husband, and was told that it would be $1500-$2000. I thought it was way too high. Please let me know how much you have spent when you installed yours.

Cost could be between $300 for a simple install where the breaker box is right next to the garage to over $10,000 if a major electrical upgrade is required to your home. I paid about $4,600 originally for my installation, but most of that was because my house had to be fully brought up to current electrical code in order to install a new outlet and that meant purchasing and installing 10 new networked smoke detectors. The actual cost for the outlet install was about $1,600 which included running the cable about 40 feet from the breaker box in the basement to my garage, installing conduit in the garage to run the line through, and installing the actual outlet itself. I probably over-paid a little since I used a nationally branded electrical company for the work. I only installed a 40amp line as the outlet was originally used for a J1772 EVSE that only pulled 30 amps.

I have gotten several quotes to install a 100 amp line so I can use an HPWC and upgrade to the 72 amp charger for the Tesla, but that would cost me over $10,000 as I'd have to upgrade to 300 amp service and completely replace my existing electrical boxes among other things.

I am in the process of having the 100 amp line installed in my garage. I had a second electrician come out that actually did a load calculation (the first one apparently did not), and they discovered that I was already at 270 amps on only 200 amps of service. The only reason I hadn't already had a problem is that we never run all 3 HVAC systems plus the dryer and both ovens and car charger all at the same time.

They are upgrading me to 400 amp service by installing a second stand-alone 200 amp panel (in addition to the 200 amp panel I had already). We are leaving my existing 40 amp line in the garage for use with a second EV down the road, and installing the 100 amp circuit for the Tesla wall connector. I've already ordered the 72 amp charger from the service center as well. When all is done I'll be able to charge at the full 72 amps (instead of the 32 amps I'm charging at now). Total cost for the electrical upgrade and installation of the 100 amp circuit is just under $10,000 (not including the charger upgrade to the car).

At least I'll be ready for more power-hungry EVs down the road.

We have a MS on order. We had originally planned to use our 10-30 dryer connection, adapt that to 14-50, then run it out to garage with a hole in wall and extensiion cord, cost would have been under 150 we would have had a 30 amp charger
That changed when the wife correctly pointed out that our existing 10-30 was in an extremely tight spot, and we would not be able to connect an adapter and plug to it without moving the outlet
So I called our electrician and he is installing 14-50 outlet in the garage. Fortunately, the service panel is very close to where the oulet goes
It will cost 275
Who did yours for you? I have my S in production right now and live in a Moreno Valley, Ca. I can't find an electrician except for the $1000+ Tesla recommended ones

Live in the Texas panhandle, and just had my house upgraded from 100amp service to 200amp service total for the whole house.
Went ahead and had the electrician install a Nema 14-50 plug, total cost for upgrade and all was $1,650. Was quoted $1500 for the service upgrade, so the Nema 14-50 plug and install was $150... not sure what it would have been by itself.
Reasonable though, charges ridiculously fast, so much so that I usually turn down the amp draw.

Who did yours for you? I have my S in production right now and live in a Moreno Valley, Ca. I can't find an electrician except for the $1000+ Tesla recommended ones
I had Joe Ramirez do ours.He owns Illectric, Inc 562-243-2579. He's in Menifee so I think he would be working in your area. He did ours in Orange County

He was out in November last year and we are very pleased with the work.
Very reasonable. We paid $300 for the install. Our panel was very close to the 14-50 outlet he installed

I have gotten several quotes to install a 100 amp line so I can use an HPWC and upgrade to the 72 amp charger for the Tesla, but that would cost me over $10,000 as I'd have to upgrade to 300 amp service and completely replace my existing electrical boxes among other things.

Even with two central AC units you could probably safely design to pull 80 amps total for two Teslas. In my experience 5 electritians will have five different answers as to what is a safe overall design.

Many newer houses with 200 amp service have probably never pulled 100 amps. The number of people needing to ever charge at 50 amps is probably small.

Even with two central AC units you could probably safely design to pull 80 amps total for two Teslas. In my experience 5 electritians will have five different answers as to what is a safe overall design.

Many newer houses with 200 amp service have probably never pulled 100 amps. The number of people needing to ever charge at 50 amps is probably small.

I had multiple electricians come out. All of them said I would have to upgrade my service to at least 300 amps in order to install a higher amp circuit in my garage. I have 3 completely independent HVAC systems, two full size ovens, one electric range, two full size refrigerators, two microwaves, a dryer and outlets, lighting, etc. for about 5,500 square feet of finished living space. The electrician calculated the total load (excluding any EV charger), and I was already at 240 amps. With my existing 40 amp EVSE line that put me at 280 amps.

I am in the process of having the service upgraded to 400 amps total. I will have a 100 amp circuit in the garage connected to the Tesla Wall Connector, and I'm keeping the 40 amp line that was there previously as a backup for a second EV later down the road since the circuit was already in place. I just had the service center order the parts to upgrade my car to the 72 amp charger. All in it will be about $11,000 for the service upgrade and upgraded charger, but it will let me charge almost three times as fast as I can now.

Reactions: electracity
I had multiple electricians come out. All of them said I would have to upgrade my service to at least 300 amps in order to install a higher amp circuit in my garage. I have 3 completely independent HVAC systems, two full size ovens, one electric range, two full size refrigerators, two microwaves, a dryer and outlets, lighting, etc. for about 5,500 square feet of finished living space. The electrician calculated the total load (excluding any EV charger), and I was already at 240 amps. With my existing 40 amp EVSE line that put me at 280 amps.

I am in the process of having the service upgraded to 400 amps total. I will have a 100 amp circuit in the garage connected to the Tesla Wall Connector, and I'm keeping the 40 amp line that was there previously as a backup for a second EV later down the road since the circuit was already in place. I just had the service center order the parts to upgrade my car to the 72 amp charger. All in it will be about $11,000 for the service upgrade and upgraded charger, but it will let me charge almost three times as fast as I can now.

Sounds good. With three HVAC units you have already used up your service line capacity. Most two HVAC households, especially with natural gas, often need just a 150 amp service (without EV). Even when available, a 150 amp service doesn't save any money over standard 200 amp.

If you ever add a third EV it could be a slave off the 100 amp master.

I live in North Carolina. Where I live, you need to get a permit and there needs to be inspections for installing the 50A breaker.

Went to the Tesla approved electricians list for my area. Picked the first guys off the list. Got quoted $1,650.

Took the quote, emailed the second company with it. They said it's a bit high and they could do it for less.

At the same time, I emailed the third company. The guy called me, said that's outrageously high, and asked me for a few pictures of the garage. After I sent it, he quoted me (never having visited) for $650 - a full 1,000 dollars less. I said sure - he got the permit, came, did it, got it inspected, everything went great.

That's the end of the story. :D

Lesson: Get quotes

Reactions: JHWJR
Spend a little more and be future proof. My 1st EV was a Chevy Volt, Max charge rate 3.3K. I knew the Model S would be here in a couple years, so instead of installing a 20amp 240 (more than enough for the Volt). I installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet and pigtailed my level 2 charger. Later when the S arrived I just pigtailed a HPWC and was good to go. Won't mention adding a 30 amp outlet for the Leaf and subsequent Chevy Bolt in the other garage bay.

Reactions: JHWJR
My job came in at about 1600. I bought the HPWC, so I had 100amp service in conduit run from my box in the basement to the garage. Was between 70 and 80 feet that had to be run. Luckily I had space in my small box, so I didn't need to upgrade anything else. They did a professional job, and hopefully in a few years I will get another wall charger, so we can hopefully be all electric at our household.
Looks like you live in the same area as we do. Can you share the name of the electrician you used. thank you!

i decided not to go with 100A service after realizing what a strain on my local power grid that would be. On super hot days everyone in the neighborhood runs their AC and the voltage in my car drops from 243V to like 228V.

I think 100 Amp is probably over engineering -- which I favor -- as nothing then is stressed to its limit. But the car will only draw what the car wants and can handle. My Model X, with single on-board charger, will only draw 48 Amps from my 100 watt charger. But were I to get a second on-board charger, or were my brother in law to visit with his 72 Amp Model X, then a higher amperage draw could be achieved.