Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does the trunk open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search but couldn't find anything concrete. I am wondering how much does the rear trunk open at the highest point with the high suspension setting? Just trying to figure out if I need put some sort of a padding on the roof in case the trunk opens taller than my garage roof. Thanks!

I tried to search but couldn't find anything concrete. I am wondering how much does the rear trunk open at the highest point with the high suspension setting? Just trying to figure out if I need put some sort of a padding on the roof in case the trunk opens taller than my garage roof. Thanks!

Trunk opening in an S is programmable. Read the manual. Basically get to your garage, manually open the trunk to your desired height, press and hold the trunk close button on the inside lip. Wait for the beeps. Press once to close. Then open the trunk and carefully watch and monitor as it opens. Should be good. But not GPS linked. The height you set is the height you will get everywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX and ishareit
I have my car's suspension set to max at home and have a standard roll up garage door. with the hatch open all the way it misses the garage door, even when the door is moving. It's close to the door, but not in danger of hitting one another.

Thanks. The vertical clearance in my garage exactly 7 ft. I don't know if that's standard but seems low.

I think that's pretty low. The opening at our door is around 8 feet and the ceiling of the garage is another couple of feet above that.

In any case, you can set the opening height of the car's hatch to whatever works best for you and it will keep that setting.

You can stop the lid opening manually by applying pressure. Then you can move it manually to the height you want, then press and hold the closing button until you hear the beep. That sets the opening height as JPP said. My suggestion is to do this with your car 3/4 into your garage so you can more accurately judge he height without fear of damaging your car. With the lid open slowly drive in with someone watching to guide you. If you find it is not opening enough, then, with lid open, simply push it to the correct position and again press and hold the close button to program the new setting.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit