Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much does the windshield cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
93B98ACC-8959-4F3A-877E-BBD298BEB2BB.jpeg

Toledo, OH service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
Someone here posted around $500 for the 3.

Sounds like there is some variation.

It really depends on where, and when. I posted about the windshield being 495 (the part itself) and part + installation being $900 ish, but my service was a year ago now (Nov 2021). @buckets0fun posted about $1100 cost, in the same state, just earlier this year (2022).

That invoice from @medphys3 is likely just the windshield (which is what was asked by the OP), sometime before the middle of this year. Just guessing here, but I suspect it likely was somewhere between late last year and march of this year. The difference in cost for the windshield as a part is $445 in OH vs $495 in CA, which checks out. I would also guess that the labor portion of their invoice is less than mine (OH vs CA labor charges) so their total installed cost was likely less than my $900 ish.

I also suspect that anyone getting one in OH right now would probably pay at least a couple hundred dollars more for the windshield as a part right now, but thats also just a guess.

Upvote 0
It really depends on where, and when. I posted about the windshield being 495 (the part itself) and part + installation being $900 ish, but my service was a year ago now (Nov 2021). @buckets0fun posted about $1100 cost, in the same state, just earlier this year (2022).

That invoice from @medphys3 is likely just the windshield (which is what was asked by the OP), sometime before the middle of this year. Just guessing here, but I suspect it likely was somewhere between late last year and march of this year. The difference in cost for the windshield as a part is $445 in OH vs $495 in CA, which checks out. I would also guess that the labor portion of their invoice is less than mine (OH vs CA labor charges) so their total installed cost was likely less than my $900 ish.

I also suspect that anyone getting one in OH right now would probably pay at least a couple hundred dollars more for the windshield as a part right now, but thats also just a guess.

That invoice was from June, 2022.

Here's one from February, 2022.

Yes- two windshields in four months :(

Attachments

• 0420167F-AD0F-4A2B-935C-3A1A8F935996.jpeg
    0420167F-AD0F-4A2B-935C-3A1A8F935996.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 124
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Almost makes it worth the driving distance to Ohio to get a windshield replaced if you live in San Francisco LoL! Almost $2,000 here :)

I have seen someone state that they got a windshield 3 weeks ago or so in northern california for $1200 ish, so unless you are talking aftermarket, from someone other than Tesla, that seems to be a bit of an embellishment.

Upvote 0
I have seen someone state that they got a windshield 3 weeks ago or so in northern california for $1200 ish, so unless you are talking aftermarket, from someone other than Tesla, that seems to be a bit of an embellishment.
Things down south must be going well! This is for a Tesla OEM windshield...

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
Nope, Tesla quote $1,786.00 with tax $1,969.06. I think that qualifies as "close to $2,000" :) Silicon Valley... What can you do? LoL!

The only thing cheaper here are CPUs :)
Tesla estimate as of yesterday.

Parts (Windshield, sealant, etc.): $759.18
Labor: $301.00
Subtotal: $1060.18
Tax: $55.06
Total: $1,115.24
Turns out you only have to drive to Roseville

• Informative
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
Upvote 0
Is Safelite not doing them yet? My understanding is that Tesla doesn't take insurance (which just seems idiotic to me and one of those things that Elon could fix easily and increase street cred for people considering a Tesla). You have to pay the whole nut and file with insurance afterwards. . . .

Upvote 0
Is Safelite not doing them yet? My understanding is that Tesla doesn't take insurance (which just seems idiotic to me and one of those things that Elon could fix easily and increase street cred for people considering a Tesla). You have to pay the whole nut and file with insurance afterwards. . . .

Thats how it worked with me (pay tesla up front and get reimbursed). it wasnt an issue, at least for me. Thats what credit cards are for. I got reimbursed before the credit card bill was due (I dont keep a balance on my CCs).

Upvote 0
Thats how it worked with me (pay tesla up front and get reimbursed). it wasnt an issue, at least for me. Thats what credit cards are for. I got reimbursed before the credit card bill was due (I dont keep a balance on my CCs).
When I had to replace my Model 3 windshield back in 2018, I had to pay with my own credit card as well and then my insurance reimbursed me. Interesting enough, because I have rental car coverage for loss of use ($50/day) and glass only deductible of $100, I actually made money on the replacement because Tesla took 3 days to replace my windshield. Back then, they gave me a brand new Model S as loaner but my insurance still gave me $150 for loss of use without me asking for it. They just look at the day in and day out from Tesla's Invoice and gave me the money.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0

Same with me. In fact, I chose Tesla to do it over Safelite. AFAIK, Safelite uses Tesla windshields so if there were any post installation issues, I figured Tesla would be the best ones to handle them.

Actually- Tesla did have to reinstall the Firmware post install for the new camera/temp sensors to work correctly. Not sure if Safelite knows how to do that...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
Upvote 0