Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much does the windshield cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Safelite not doing them yet? My understanding is that Tesla doesn't take insurance (which just seems idiotic to me and one of those things that Elon could fix easily and increase street cred for people considering a Tesla). You have to pay the whole nut and file with insurance afterwards. . . .

That's actually better.

It means I got a couple thousand valuable travel points on my insurance companies dime since I got the run the spend through one of my credit cards.

if my insurance had been able to pay directly I'd have missed out on that.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0
Safelite can do them cheaper than Tesla (650 vs 1000)… but they have to wait for the glass to arrive. I was quoted 4 months and went with Tesla.
So, Safelite where you are is $650, but Safelite in San Francisco where @dho112 is $2000 ish? ( post #12 in this thread). I know there are regional differences, but wow that is a huge difference.

Upvote 0
So, Safelite where you are is $650, but Safelite in San Francisco where @dho112 is $2000 ish? ( post #12 in this thread). I know there are regional differences, but wow that is a huge difference.
Actually safelight where I am is over $2,000 not including tax, the Tesla cost was $300 less not including tax as told to me on a phone quote from my local showroom. I’m not sure if he might have gotten it wrong, but that Safelight quote came right from their website for my zipcode *shrug* and the email they sent me. There was no mention of delay times though, that’s a big consideration.

The strange “zones” in this this financial micro area are extremely weird. Statefarm, my insurance carrier is taking no new house insurance business in my immediate area, but 20 miles down the road, they are. my agent neighbor says it has to do with earthquake zones, but also the fact that the prices here are so insane the Statefarm actuarials deemed it a money loosing proposition to insure anyone here. I had a quote to install a front door in my house and the lowest bid was $6,000, my friend had almost the same door installed in his house in Marysville (125 miles away) for 1/3 that, and his quote was the average of 5 contractors. :(

Upvote 0
Safelite where I am, at last check, won't even do Teslas.

Anyway- the weirdest part of your 2k story is you got someone on the phone at Tesla. It's frequently reported that's not a thing that happens but I suppose YMMV by location.

Put in a service request via the app and see what you get back- it was under 1k for me (though not in CA obviously)

Reactions: dho112
Upvote 0
Just had my windshield replaced as part of a flying debris repair. Part was $700, and 4 hours of labor at $110/ea, including camera recalibration. Was done at my local (Tesla certified) body shop.

Couldn’t be more pleased with the work. The rest of the repairs went great too; car looks better than new.

Attachments

• 45F68D5D-D2CA-4017-9DBB-91E33E394BA1.jpeg
    45F68D5D-D2CA-4017-9DBB-91E33E394BA1.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
Yep weird. The quote received was through my insurance company (USAA) as Safelite manages it for them. Maybe Safelight does a cost break for USAA? When Safelite told me it was going to be months to replace (due to glass avail) I told them Tesla had it in stock and would do it for a grand… they said ok and USAA paid it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Safelite where I am, at last check, won't even do Teslas.

Anyway- the weirdest part of your 2k story is you got someone on the phone at Tesla. It's frequently reported that's not a thing that happens but I suppose YMMV by location.

Put in a service request via the app and see what you get back- it was under 1k for me (though not in CA obviously)
I know! The funniest thing is that I don't even NEED a windshield LoL! The subject came up because my car was going in because the trunk wasn't "pulling down" when it latched; that motor whine sound as the trunk initially clicks closed and then it gets momentarily pulled down tighter. Mine just goes *clunk* and doesn't get cinched down tighter after that like I see every other Tesla doing. Plus it's pretty badly misaligned. After several back and forths in the chatting feature of the app I just asked if I could call because it was easier to explain things.

I asked about a windshield replacement during the conversation only because I was curious about how much it would be and that's when he told me the quote price. It didn't sound like he looked anything up and he just said the quote then and there. I was a bit shocked. I don't know, maybe he was mistaken? Or heard something different? That's when I went to the Safelight website (It's the only name I know for windshield stuff :) ) and plugged in the details for their quote and the number was even higher than $2,000! So I just took his quote as accurate for my area, the Tesla quote was $300 less (on the Safelight website you enter your zip code as part of the details) Try it for zip code 94568 and see if it's different for you....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's when I went to the Safelight website (It's the only name I know for windshield stuff :) )
It's Safelite, not Safelight. Safelite is the biggest of the chain windshield repair shops, though there are smaller chains also. Other than the small number of chains, there are dealers or manufacturer affiliated shops (some of whom contract the work out) and numerous small local shops (some of whose shops are just one van or truck advertising their service at low cost).

In terms of quality... the glass itself can be OEM, aftermarket from the OEM supplier, or aftermarket from a different supplier. The last of these is the riskiest in terms of poor fit. Installation labor quality can vary with any kind of shop.

Upvote 0
It's Safelite, not Safelight. Safelite is the biggest of the chain windshield repair shops, though there are smaller chains also. Other than the small number of chains, there are dealers or manufacturer affiliated shops (some of whom contract the work out) and numerous small local shops (some of whose shops are just one van or truck advertising their service at low cost).

In terms of quality... the glass itself can be OEM, aftermarket from the OEM supplier, or aftermarket from a different supplier. The last of these is the riskiest in terms of poor fit. Installation labor quality can vary with any kind of shop.
Ooops! Yes, Safelite. I googled safelight auto glass and Safelite comes up as the top choice. I guess they figure a lot of people other than me would make that bonehead mistake LoL!

Upvote 0

At least with Tesla, there isn’t any aftermarket glass right now. So even Safelite is installing OEM panels.

Upvote 0