Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much electricity does it take to produce a gallon/liter of gas/diesel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To get oil out of the ground, produce the gas/diesel and pump it into you car how much electricity does it take?

Electricity used
- Drilling takes huge amounts mostly produced by diesel generators
- Pumping
- Refining
- Pumping into transport trucks
- Running a gas station.
- I'am sure there are other electrify users in the process

Just wondering if the electric used to produce the gas/diesel would drive a electric vehicle further than the gas/diesel does?
If this is so then there is all the electrify that is needed to power electric transport available right know if it was not used to produce gas/diesel.

Reactions: APotatoGod
To get oil out of the ground, produce the gas/diesel and pump it into you car how much electricity does it take?

Electricity used
- Drilling takes huge amounts mostly produced by diesel generators
- Pumping
- Refining
- Pumping into transport trucks
- Running a gas station.
- I'am sure there are other electrify users in the process

Just wondering if the electric used to produce the gas/diesel would drive a electric vehicle further than the gas/diesel does?
If this is so then there is all the electrify that is needed to power electric transport available right know if it was not used to produce gas/diesel.

I think most of us are aware that there is a lot of fuel used to provide the fuels our ICE run on other than just the barrels of crude. But a more interesting question is how much fuel does it take to produce the electricity our EVs run on?

Having EVs that can be driven by other than fossil fuels isn't enough. We still need to obtain energy from sources other than fossil fuels.

Also, please be aware that eliminating fossil fuels entirely won't do much more than to put a dent in the growth of CO2 in the air much less reverse the trend we've been following for the last 200 years.

This question has been asked and answered ad-nauseum -- just search.

The answers that do not distinguish electricity from energy are garbage. As another person said, refineries typically burn their own oil for the electricity part of the refining process. The EPA estimates that ~ 20% of the oil removed from the ground is consumed in turning it into transportation products. Whether that oil is combusted directly for heat or combusted to make electricity is irrelevant.

This 20% well to wheel cost of using oil (products) for transport lets us come up with a reasonable figure for vehicle transport related well to wheel (WtW) CO2 emissions: A gallon of petrol 'gasoline' releases 19.2 lbs of CO2 upon combustion. Since there were 20% losses the WtW of a gallon of petrol is 19.2/0.8 = 24 lbs of CO2 emissions. If an average passenger vehicle in the USA is is 24 mpg then CO2 emissions are one pound per mile.

Comparing that number to an EV depends entirely on how the electricity is made. The average carbon intensity of the USA grid is ~ one pound per kWh. If the average EV consumption is say 300 Wh/mile then CO2 emissions from that type of fueled EV would be 0.30 pounds per mile. Put PV on your roof and the calc is easy: ~ 0 lbs per mile CO2 emissions. It is not quite zero due to the cost of making and installing PV but it comes close.

Last edited:
And as I pointed out even if you completely eliminated the carbon released from road transportation (10.5% of all human released carbon on a global basis) the 90% remaining still needs to be addressed.

So driving an electric car doesn't do much to solve the real problem. It's barely a start.

When you walk out to your car why even take that first step? It's <1% of the distance to your car. Taking that step doesn't do much to get you to your car.

When you walk out to your car why even take that first step? It's <1% of the distance to your car. Taking that step doesn't do much to get you to your car.

So you take the first step and start cheering yourself that you are doing such a great job?

I try to be real about what I'm doing and admit freely that I didn't buy the car to save the planet since it does very, very little toward that goal. On the other hand, I also minimize many other aspects of my consumerism which also have only a little impact. Doing them is fine, I just don't go around talking as if my contributions are overly significant. That's the problem, so many people do just a little, then talk as if they just saved the planet.

The current problem exists because people aren't realistic about the impact we all have on the planet. Not being realistic about what we are doing to deal with the problem isn't very good either.

So you take the first step and start cheering yourself that you are doing such a great job?

.... no... then you get solar... then you stop flying... then you make your home more energy efficient and help your friends put solar on their homes and so on and so on and so on until our pathetic addiction to fools fuel is kicked ;)

.... no... then you get solar... then you stop flying... then you make your home more energy efficient and help your friends put solar on their homes and so on and so on and so on until our pathetic addiction to fools fuel is kicked ;)

All those things still only deal with a small percentage of the problem. Have you ever looked at the info available on just how much carbon is produced and where it comes from? Then there is the issue that before we can lower our carbon emissions, we have to stop GROWING them! Yes, global emissions are growing at a huge rate and we can't even put at dent in THAT!

People so often forget that this is a problem we have spent 200 years creating. We aren't going to solve it by buying a different car.

Reactions: APotatoGod
All those things still only deal with a small percentage of the problem. Have you ever looked at the info available on just how much carbon is produced and where it comes from? Then there is the issue that before we can lower our carbon emissions, we have to stop GROWING them! Yes, global emissions are growing at a huge rate and we can't even put at dent in THAT!

People so often forget that this is a problem we have spent 200 years creating. We aren't going to solve it by buying a different car.

Your use of 'small percentage' doesn't appear to match the mathematical definition of 'small' or 'percentage'. Shifting our energy for transportation, heating and electricity from fools fuel to solar or wind removes >80% of CO2 emissions. In what language is >80% referred to as a 'small percentage'?

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 10.05.28 PM.png

I'm a sociopath if I get on an airplane?
And the whole cabin is filled with the same?
Scary.

You certainly are if you feel no remorse about flying. Or you don't understand the harm. So you may be an idiot instead of a sociopath.

So they're not all sociopaths... some are morons and some fly because they have to and feel shame because of it.