Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much energy does a model 3 use on average every month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case, Con Edison runs net metering and you get kwh credit, one for one. There is no payment back. As far as I know the credits don't expire. I didn't exceed my current usage to get $ credits but just to allow some expansion. That expansion won't be another Tesla though, I hardly use the one I have. 5200 miles since Feb 28. That works out to just under 9000 miles/year and it is our only car.

Can you get a payment from the electric company if you put in more than you take out?
Depends on your location - different rules in different states, different utility districts, and for different installation times.

In WA, if you install after 2019, you can only recoup up to the amount of electricity you buy, less a daily service fee. My service fee at SnoPUD is 53¢/day, so I have to buy about 5 kWh/day whether I use it or not.

As someone not familiar with solar, can someone explain why the power company has any say or involvement in determining what you can install on your roof? Is this because they're subsidizing your investment cost? If you generate more than you use, does it run your meter in reverse?

To answer your question - I've averaged about 340w/mile in my P3D over the last year (yes, I know that's terrible but I don't drive to conserve charge). So if you're driving 1,000 miles per month that comes out to 340kw / month. But, I've read that the charger is only about 80% efficient so in reality you're going to draw/use 425kw extra per month.
The efficiency of the charge cable is way higher than that if you do 240V, 32A. The wall connector is even more efficient.

I just finished signing the contract for a solar install on my house. The system will produce 111% of my electric needs based on the last year's usage, and that would include 8 months of owning my SR+. It should cover the extra 4 months too. I'd have put more up but this max'ed out the best part of my roof for panels. The cost after rebates will be offset in about 4-5 years and the whole package just made a lot of sense.
I've had solar for 5 year now. What are the information that they are telling you?

How many panels?
What's the total generation?
Cost of your full system?
Brand of panels?
Single inverter or micro?

Just want to see if they are feeding you BS.

I've had solar for 5 year now. What are the information that they are telling you?

How many panels?
What's the total generation?
Cost of your full system?
Brand of panels?
Single inverter or micro?

Just want to see if they are feeding you BS.
There will be 18 LG Neon 2 370 panels so 6.66 kw, producing 8905kwh annually. Enphase IQ7 micro inverters. My roof faces due south and is pitched at 37 degrees and is just about perfect for solar without modification. No trees, no blockage, from sun up to sun down. My sister's boyfriend does solar in another state but took a look and said it was all good. His opinion was that it would be hard to mess up with the roof being so perfect.

Two neighbors across my yard had solar done a few years ago and he said it was a terrible job as the roof just doesn't hold enough to even be worthwhile and if they get 40% efficiency he'd be surprised. My installation will be 96% efficient.

Last edited:
@Zacster - your setup is similar to what i did here in Los Angeles, California. I have 20 of 330 watt panels. In me very own unique case, before Model 3, over past 3 years i used about about 7,000kWh per year. Once I added my model 3 and drove some 15,000 miles per year before covid, i needed extra 3,500kwH in total being 10,500Kwh is what i needed (Wanted) to cover my 100% usage. In my own case, those 20 panels produce around 10,300 and change per year.

@ryanbush - does make a compelling point, depending where you live, how extra Electricity is treated, expected rise in cost, rise on use, per hour, Net Metering, credit, etc it might be a good idea to just cover your house. I wanted to keep my Electric bill lower, and decided to include EV because i expect it to last long enough and hopefully if when i sell/rent in next X years, there will be many more EV on the road, where it will be future proofing.

Now back to your original question, how much will you need extra is solely depending on how many miles you going to drive with very rough and crude average being 1kWh will cover 4 miles. So if you going to drive 16,000 miles a year, and if you want to offset by 100%, you will want to account for extra 4,000kWh in the system. How many solar Panels is that? 8? you can plug in your info here and see PVWatts

280 kWh vs 300 kWh vs 330 kWh is kind of moot when the OP is trying to justify keeping two solar panels, which will generate less than a half that in a month’s time.

The bottom line is that the Model 3 will add more consumption than those two panels will ever produce, so it should be no problem to justify keeping them. If anything, power company should authorize adding even more if you have the roof space for it.
Thanks for your support

Two panels is probably 750 - 800 watts.
Depending on shade, orientation, and inclination, those panels will generate in the range of 1.3 - 1.7 kWh/watt annually

So a generation estimate without more information is between 750*1.3 and 800*1.7 kWh a year
or 975 - 1,360 kWh a year

Figuring 4 miles per kWh in the EV, the panels will cover
as few as 975*4 = 3.900 miles
to as many as 1360*4 = 5,440 miles

For better documentation, avail yourself of PVWatts

Reactions: Big Earl
Two panels is probably 750 - 800 watts.
Depending on shade, orientation, and inclination, those panels will generate in the range of 1.3 - 1.7 kWh/watt annually

So a generation estimate without more information is between 750*1.3 and 800*1.7 kWh a year
or 975 - 1,360 kWh a year

Figuring 4 miles per kWh in the EV, the panels will cover
as few as 975*4 = 3.900 miles
to as many as 1360*4 = 5,440 miles

For better documentation, avail yourself of PVWatts
Yep, PVwatts will help resolve how many panels. It is not feasible to count per month as generation is different per season here in Northern America. in summer one gets most and in winder generation is halved due to sun being lower. if 2 panels produce about 4,000 miles worth, then @PUDGYKINS8$ will want 4-6 maybe of this 370. In other words, your 2 panels by themselves is not enough to cover your 9,000 miles per year. try to win your fight to keep them.

Working for a utility company my only opinion is, these systems were designed for one way flow. The burden we are putting on them is great for these companies as a capital investment but it will take time.

Might as well buy batteries and live entirely off grid.