TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much faster do your rear tires wear than your fronts in staggered set up?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Mickie, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Mickie

Mickie Member

Like, are your rears at 2/32 or less when your fronts are around 5 or 6/32 given they all started at 10/32? This is chiefly regarding the 21" Tesla staggered turbines and I want an idea on when I should start planning on buying a rear set. Thanks ladies and fellas.

2. rdr1rx

rdr1rx Member

Just replaced my rear 265/35/21 tires on my S75 rear-drive (with coil springs) a month ago at 25,300 miles. Rears were 2/32" at the wear bars. The original 245/35/21 fronts are holding up at 6/32". Alignment within specs. Since rears are wearing about 2x faster than the fronts, looks like I'll need a full set of tires nearing 50,000 miles. Keep in mind that coil spring cars run about -1.1 to -1.3° rear camber while the air cars run -1.5° to -2.0°. Translation: rear 21s on air cars can wear out faster, especially if set mostly to Low.

• Informative x 2
  3. Mickie

Mickie Member

Actually surprised yours held up that long with the stories of people roasting theirs at 5-8k miles.

I suppose a D car may see a bit more wear from the fronts than a RWD, but it looks all things considered I'll probably have a similar issue to yours.

4. Ames

Ames Member

I'm at 25,000+ miles in my P90DL. Still on my original rears but had to change the fronts due to pothole damage.

• Informative x 1
  5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Very similar here......S90D, staggered, coils.
    Original rears last measured 6/32 at 23k+ miles. Fronts replaced due to 3 pothole blows.
    30k here I come! ;)

• Informative x 1
  6. Mickie

Mickie Member

Air or coils?

The 20k+ reports are confidence-inspiring; the pothole blowouts, not so much. I knew that going in though.

7. Ames

Ames Member

I have air suspension. I am pleasantly surprised at the longevity of the rears, considering the weight and power of this car.

8. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Just finished a 12000 mile road trip, mostly at low air suspension setting, total of 14000 on the car. 6/32 left on the rears with even wear.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I find it is about 1.5:1 front:back

• Informative x 1
  10. Mickie

Mickie Member

Helluva road trip! How bout your fronts? Guessing 7-8/32?

11. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Fronts were replaced halfway through due to road damage.

12. Mickie

Mickie Member

Oh God, you too?! Such a disturbing trend..

Maybe I should've just asked this in the opener, but if fronts are at 7/32 and my rears are between 5-6/32, should I pick up a set of rear PS2s now in anticipation? I figure with the PS2s being discontinued, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a set of rear PS2s now so by time the fronts are hitting 2/32s, so will the second set of rears and the PS2s can then all go out at the same time. Then after I'll do a set of PSSs or whatever's new or good at the time.

13. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Maybe a bit anal, but I'm not a fan of mixing old and new tires. Numerous heat cycles harden the rubber and the handling gets funny when you have sticky new tires on one end and hard slick ones on the other.

• Informative x 1