Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much floorspace for dog in 7-seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I currently drive a Raven S and am considering moving to an LR X. One of my arguments (to convince the wife) is that an X would have more room to take the family dog on trips with us (as I'm skittish about letting our Labrador retriever in the S).

I know our dog could easily fit between the 2nd-row seats of the 6-seater, but I'm more interested in the 7-seater with fold-flat seats. Can someone please help measure the max distance (on the floor) between the 2nd-row seats and the base of the center console (the one with the cupholders and charging ports)? This would help me compare to the floorspace of our S.

Sorry, besides photos of dogs in the X, I wasn't able to find this info on my own and I didn't think to measure an X the last time I was at the Service Center. Thank you if someone can help with this request.

Managed to find more videos of legroom in the 7-seat Model X. It doesn’t seem like that much floor space compared to the Model S, especially with the seat tracks in the way. Looks like most people have their pet(s) in the trunk area of the X or in a crate.

Currently, I’ve been too afraid to bring the dog anywhere with us in the S and resort to borrowing my Dad’s Tundra Double Cab. The backseat tumbles out of the way and our Lab can lay down flat in the rear cabin of the truck.

I don’t like driving/borrowing the truck for family trips with the dog. At the same time, I worry that the trunk area of the S is too hot for our dog (as reported by those with kids and jump seats).

My plan was to have our dog lay down on the floor of the S, if possible, and have one person sit in the rear with her. I suppose other options are covers over the rear seats, or fold down the 60% portion of the rear seat of the S and let the dog use that plus the trunk to stretch out in. I just wasn’t sure if that’s safe in the event of an accident. Unfortunately, our dog crate is too tall to fit in the S and, surprisingly, probably wouldn’t fit in an X either!

Can someone please help measure the max distance (on the floor) between the 2nd-row seats and the base of the center console (the one with the cupholders and charging ports)?
It’s about 10.5” from the console to the 2nd row seat in the 7 seater, when the second row seat is all the way back. There is approximately another 6” under the console on the floor, which I don’t think would play a role in space for a big dog. Pictures attached.
1DE34545-8830-4C6A-9BA8-3D407400C7B8.jpeg4B4C2803-3891-471D-BD21-D8708E5026FF.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: FatherTo1
It’s about 10.5” from the console to the 2nd row seat in the 7 seater, when the second row seat is all the way back. There is approximately another 6” under the console on the floor, which I don’t think would play a role in space for a big dog. Pictures attached.
View attachment 628401View attachment 628402

Thank you for taking the time to measure, @Bigriver! I can't believe it's no better than the Model S really. I measured our S at 9.75" from the console, but since the Model X 2nd row center seat cushion is slightly recessed then the outboard seats are about the same clearance as the S bench seat.

@dannycamps, I also have the 3D Maxpider Kagu on our Model S. Fitment is perfect and stays nice and tight against the edges. Much better than the WeatherTech/Tesla branded ones that curl up at the edges.

They are 3D Maxpider. A bit dirty, which the pictures accentuate more than in person.

@dannycamps, I also have the 3D Maxpider Kagu on our Model S. Fitment is perfect and stays nice and tight against the edges. Much better than the WeatherTech/Tesla branded ones that curl up at the edges.

Thank you both. I am going to need to check them out. Right now I am using the stock floor mats in my rear seat and it's terrible. Basically anytime anyone sits back there, the mat moves all over the place. The ones you have look like a nice fit.