TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AnxietyRanger, May 17, 2015.

1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

With some talk of how much Model X mules have changed since the prototype has changed, I thought a new image comparison and a thread might be useful:

model_x_mule_vs_prototype.jpg

This side profile is only a part of the answer of course, especially being so dark, but it is a thus far rare perspective into a shape of the mule that seems like it could be quite near the final. See how much larger the windows are, how much taller the greenhouse seems and how much further back things extend. Front silhouette has also changed, although that is still under heaviest camo. There is less of a natural spoiler at the end of the mule, which might give some credence to the electronic spoiler theory. ;)

After all, this is not about how Are the Model X mules close to the final version? but merely about how different are the mules from the prototype.

Source this message and Tesla Model X Prototype May 8 2015 - YouTube

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Longer falcon doors (now going aft of the center of the rear wheels,) taller rear profile including window/trim line extended further aft and down. Everything else I see is pretty subtle - the fog light area and headlights, mostly.
    Walter

3. Anzir

Anzir Member

I posted this in the Mule Spotting thread, but I do not like the direction that rear 3/4 view looks now. It's overextended towards the back because of headroom requirements. And why does the nose need to be so long considering the lack of front engine? I liked the proportions of the prototype better.

4. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

It would seem the profile changes may be what Elon mentioned about improved aerodynamics mention at the beginning of the year. More slope in the front and either a electronic or natural spoiler in the rear.

5. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

Thank you for noting the rear door/center of wheels point, I don't think it had been said out loud yet.

The rear doors may not necessarily be longer though, the wheelbase might also be shorter. There used to be talk that the Model X prototype had a longer wheelbase than Model S - and it would make sense to reduce that to Model S wheelbase for production.

However, I do agree there are changes in dimensions - including doors - so just putting this detail out there, not disagreeing that the doors have changed.

Finally, there are subtle differences in the perspectives of the two images above and scaling of their sizes may not be accurate, so it is hard to make exact calculations... But Model X mules do seem more rear heavy now than in old prorotype form, that is true.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Perhaps the frunk will have a glass lid and there will be two child seats there, making room for 9!

Hoping the all-glossy black mule is hiding some of the nuance that made the original prototype have nicer proportions. Has a huge Prius look in the latest views.

7. Anzir

Anzir Member

That's literally what my wife said when she saw the video.

8. hill

hill Member

Everyone touted Tesla safety, since the beginning of idiot drivers having horrific accidents . . . . and of course the longer the "crumple zone" is, the safer the Tesla can theoretically be. It's called balancing interests.

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Very hard to determine the real look of the X based on these pictures, however I do not like the rear side view from the rear wheel to the back. It looks to me that the rear 1/4 panel hangs down way to much and makes it look like someone ran into the rear and smashed it forward. I would prefer a more streamlined look for the rear but will reserve judgement until I see the production version in person.