Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much has your Model S' battery degraded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Intertesting, thank you for the info... How do you get it to exactly 0? Drive it around the block until it's at 1 then back and forth out of the driveway? haha

Don't drive all the way to zero. I have done OK driving to about 10 or so miles rated range left. I usually do this on a road trip and modulate my speed and HVAC settings to use more or less energy such that when I get to about 10 miles I arrive at my destination. If you plan on going to zero and your range calculation is way off, you might find yourself stranded on the side of the road when you thought you still had 10 miles of range left.

That's exactly what the Tesla rep told me to do though? So is it actual battery decay or is it just estimated range loss that can be recouped by charging to 100%, draining and charging back up?

It's a good thing for the battery, but 60% is especially bad for the calculation.

When you charge back up to 100% a few times (and let it sit there for a few hours), something happens... I don't think anybody definitely knows if it's just range recalculation or rebalancing. You may have some real loss in there, but you wouldn't know for sure until a couple of deep charge/discharge cycles.

I try to only do this on colder days (< 70 degrees). I know the BMS should cool down the battery, but Elon did give specific guidance some time back to not range charge it to 100% and have it sit in high heat for days at a time. Up to you though.

In my experience, I have noted only 2 times where I had significant range loss over a relatively short period of time. 1) When charging to 70% daily. Although it seems to be recoverable range loss. 2) Driving the car very hard on a hot day with a low battery (<25%), this appears to be more permanent. Lost about 3 miles of rated range in one day doing that.

Don't drive all the way to zero. I have done OK driving to about 10 or so miles rated range left. I usually do this on a road trip and modulate my speed and HVAC settings to use more or less energy such that when I get to about 10 miles I arrive at my destination. If you plan on going to zero and your range calculation is way off, you might find yourself stranded on the side of the road when you thought you still had 10 miles of range left.

VERY true, I wonder how long it would take to get to from 10 to 0 by blasting the AC

- - - Updated - - -

It's a good thing for the battery, but 60% is especially bad for the calculation.

When you charge back up to 100% a few times (and let it sit there for a few hours), something happens... I don't think anybody definitely knows if it's just range recalculation or rebalancing. You may have some real loss in there, but you wouldn't know for sure until a couple of deep charge/discharge cycles.

I try to only do this on colder days (< 70 degrees). I know the BMS should cool down the battery, but Elon did give specific guidance some time back to not range charge it to 100% and have it sit in high heat for days at a time. Up to you though.

Yeah, I live in SoCal, so it's basically never cold here (save the nights)...

In my experience, I have noted only 2 times where I had significant range loss over a relatively short period of time. 1) When charging to 70% daily. Although it seems to be recoverable range loss. 2) Driving the car very hard on a hot day with a low battery (<25%), this appears to be more permanent. Lost about 3 miles of rated range in one day doing that.

I can only recall a handful of times where I've driven on a super low battery (it's pretty much always hot here though :frown:) ...

- - - Updated - - -

About 20 minutes.

Wow, that's crazy... I'll get it to about 10 miles tho. But as other have noted, driving it at a low capacity when it's hot out damages the battery and, as I've stated, it gets very hot where I live (especially on the highways/freeways).

I can only recall a handful of times where I've driven on a super low battery (it's pretty much always hot here though :frown:) ...

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that's crazy... I'll get it to about 10 miles tho. But as other have noted, driving it at a low capacity when it's hot out damages the battery and, as I've stated, it gets very hot where I live (especially on the highways/freeways).

I have driven my car on a low battery on a hot day many times (although I try to avoid it when possible). However, you will want to refrain from driving it hard. In my case on that particular day I was driving it hard enough that when I stopped (I didn't have the HVAC on at all) the cooling fans were screaming like they do at the supercharger.

83k miles. Deliv 11-2012, s85. Range charge 5-10/yr, supercharge ave 4/month. 90% 221 rated miles and range charge last month was 282 ideal miles
67c609f6f3861b4c2bc95947e4bba0ac.jpg

I have a 2014 S85 VIN 36873. I used to charge to 70% daily and my 90% rated range was ~222 miles. A couple of months ago i read somewhere on this forum that by charging to 90% you balance the battery pack a bit better so I've been charging to 90% daily over the last several months. My 90% rated range is now 235 and it continues to go up every couple of weeks. I believe the rated range when brand new at 90% was 238 miles.

P85D with 7500 miles on it. 80% charge still says 205 miles on it the same as it was when it was new. 70% says 178 miles. So although I've only got 7500 miles, it appears I haven't suffered any range loss. Just finished a 1600 mile round trip drive going up Friday and coming back Monday. Friday was 106+ degrees most of the drive and I supercharged a lot. The fans were screaming when charging.

I would never leave a battery charged at 90% all the time. The higher the charge, the more damage you'll do over time. I leave mine around 60% and set the timer to charge to 80% finishing about 15 minutes before I leave. It spends very little time above 60% and daily never gets below 35%.

A couple of months ago i read somewhere on this forum that by charging to 90% you balance the battery pack a bit better so I've been charging to 90% daily over the last several months. My 90% rated range is now 235 and it continues to go up every couple of weeks. I believe the rated range when brand new at 90% was 238 miles.

Yes, this is what many (not all) have observed: charge to >90% and pack seems to balance more effectively, resulting in small improvements in range weekly (doesn't have to be 100%, just 90% or higher); maintaining the battery charge in the upper middle range (e.g. 65 to 80%) is generally considered better to minimize degradation when not in use (this is where I leave mine when going on extended business trips); however, the lower charge levels will pull down max range again. I have gone through this cycle several times, so it seems consistent. Last 100% charge I was at 260 miles (2013 S85, "B" pack).

My 2012 has 58,500 miles roughly. Battery pack was replaced at 19,000 (contactor failure - now they repair them).

So after 39,500 miles on my battery pack, the car range charges to 267, 90% charge to 239 - one mile less than when I got the battery pack.

I normally leave it at 90%, I range charge at will (probably once every 3-4 weeks). I charge at 80A all the time, and supercharge occasionally (probably once a month).

My 2012 has 58,500 miles roughly. Battery pack was replaced at 19,000 (contactor failure - now they repair them).

So after 39,500 miles on my battery pack, the car range charges to 267, 90% charge to 239 - one mile less than when I got the battery pack.

I normally leave it at 90%, I range charge at will (probably once every 3-4 weeks). I charge at 80A all the time, and supercharge occasionally (probably once a month).
That's insane, your battery seems to have done the best...

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but for an accurate comparison shouldn't we all be reporting these numbers as ideal range? Doesn't Rated take into account driving style when trying to figure out range?