Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much has your Model S' battery degraded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh! I don't know why I obsess about this so much but it surely bugs me when my similarly aged car does so much worse. Tesla has checked it out and told me everything is working as designed. I guess I'm just on the low side of the curve for some reason.

Last week, I asked Tesla why my car never, ever, ever runs the cooling system when I'm Supercharging while every other car is screaming away like they're ready for takeoff. Again they checked and said everything was okay and if my car needed cooling, it would come on.

1. Can you ask service to provide a CAC?

2. It's probably due to your A pack. Read Owners blog post on the 90 v 120 kW charge off. Roblabs A pack did not activate the cooling fans while charging at 90.

You know what I've learned from this thread? And I say this with the most polite intensions as possible.

No one has a freakin clue how the battery works, how balancing works, how rated works, how ideal works, etc....

So I wouldn't worry about it, since you have 8 years unlimited miles warranty for your battery. Come 7 years from now, if it's really horrific, Tesla should take care of it. Until then, quit worrying about the perceived mileage loss/non-loss/maybe loss/etc...

As a side note, I have a 2014 S85 90% gives me 231 rated after about 25k miles. It used to be 240 at 90% I believe and 266 @ 100%. I will be charging to 100% again soon so will look just out of curiosity.

Now if you're off by 25 - 50 miles, ask Tesla as I've heard people say they asked and they replaced batteries that weren't in spec. So if they say it's fine, then I'd go with it's fine.

You know what I've learned from this thread? And I say this with the most polite intensions as possible.

No one has a freakin clue how the battery works, how balancing works, how rated works, how ideal works, etc....

So I wouldn't worry about it, since you have 8 years unlimited miles warranty for your battery. Come 7 years from now, if it's really horrific, Tesla should take care of it. Until then, quit worrying about the perceived mileage loss/non-loss/maybe loss/etc...

As a side note, I have a 2014 S85 90% gives me 231 rated after about 25k miles. It used to be 240 at 90% I believe and 266 @ 100%. I will be charging to 100% again soon so will look just out of curiosity.

Now if you're off by 25 - 50 miles, ask Tesla as I've heard people say they asked and they replaced batteries that weren't in spec. So if they say it's fine, then I'd go with it's fine.

Warranty doesn't cover capacity degradation.

1. Can you ask service to provide a CAC?

2. It's probably due to your A pack. Read Owners blog post on the 90 v 120 kW charge off. Roblabs A pack did not activate the cooling fans while charging at 90.

Sorry, not sure what "CAC" is. I did ask them about my battery capacity "concerns" at a service visit, and they told me they ran some diagnostics and found no trouble with the battery and that it was "operating as designed". I assume they were looking for bad cells. Around that same time, my battery contactors failed and my car was in for a week undergoing repairs with the battery removed. Again, Tesla said the battery pack was "fine".

I assume you're right about it being an A-pack. (Bugged a little by the fact that B-packs were shipping for months and somehow my car came with an A). Another forum member told me his A-pack does engage cooling. This was more of a "curiosity" than a "concern" because it didn't seem to affect anything. The reason I brought it up to Tesla is because another owner actually approached me at a Supercharger and thought I should tell them about it when he noticed my car was silent.

To be honest, I expected this degradation when I ordered my car (ordered about a year before the Model S began shipping) and it was one of the reasons I went with an 85 over a 60. I figured a 60 would just cut it, but I didn't want to be in trouble if it degraded so went for the 85 thinking that even if it dropped to 60, I'd be okay. It seems I'm about equivalent to a new 70 right now. What I don't like is being one of only a very few who has seen this much of a drop.

November 2012 Sig P85 Version A battery:

90% @ 223 miles with 47,000 miles on the battery.

(52,000 car miles minus 5000 miles using a loaner battery during a power switch upgrade).

Lowest charge level one time was 21 miles. About a half-dozen full charges (265 at first, last one at 250). I charge to 90% almost daily at a 5 to 24 amp rate with only occasional 80 amp speeds if I forget to plug-in at night. Supercharger trips on the version A battery as far as Idaho and Utah and a half-dozen shorter distances of about 500 to 800 miles. (Loved using the loaner version B battery at the 120 kW Superchargers to Oklahoma. Version A only accepts 90 kW.)

I disagree with that. Warranty doesn't cover "normal" wear.

I guess the question is how do you define normal wear and I suspect Tesla has what are acceptable parameters. So I still say if you've got really bad degradation, they will replace it as they have for other people in the past.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/de...rranty_NA_Touchscreen_6.2_R20150402_en_US.pdf

"The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time

and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is

NOT covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.
"

November 2012 Sig P85 Version A battery:

90% @ 223 miles with 47,000 miles on the battery.

(52,000 car miles minus 5000 miles using a loaner battery during a power switch upgrade).

Lowest charge level one time was 21 miles. About a half-dozen full charges (265 at first, last one at 250). I charge to 90% almost daily at a 5 to 24 amp rate with only occasional 80 amp speeds if I forget to plug-in at night. Supercharger trips on the version A battery as far as Idaho and Utah and a half-dozen shorter distances of about 500 to 800 miles. (Loved using the loaner version B battery at the 120 kW Superchargers to Oklahoma. Version A only accepts 90 kW.)

Wow... Your car appears to be mine's closest twin. I also have an A battery. Also just hit 52,000 miles and also about 5,000 miles on a loaner pack due to a failed module that required 6-months for them to replace. Also seeing about 222-224 miles at 90%. Also really missed the B loaner battery because Supercharging was way faster.

Wow... Your car appears to be mine's closest twin. I also have an A battery. Also just hit 52,000 miles and also about 5,000 miles on a loaner pack due to a failed module that required 6-months for them to replace. Also seeing about 222-224 miles at 90%. Also really missed the B loaner battery because Supercharging was way faster.

I'm guessing my old battery pack would have been similar. When it was retired last year (February), it was at 228 miles at 90% (246-247 range charge) @ 19k miles. The new one has fared much, much better.

Well that is incredible. I don't recall ever seeing an 85 with that high a range charge number, and certainly not after 83,000 miles.

If we're talking ideal here mine is 284 after 76k miles.

b7d78d671e553f244a9985d1f256c5c0.jpg

Why do I seem to have zero degradation after 2 years and 25,000 miles while others are down 10%? The only thing I did differently was I kept my battery charged at 50% for most of its first year.

I have taken my VisibleTesla data and averaged the battery level out. Over the entire life of my car the average state of charge is 62%. I still have lost about 20 rated miles in 16 months and 56k miles.