Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much hysteresis in full-charge/plugged-in behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
So.... Stacy's Mom was plugged in yesterday evening and reached 90% at ~11pm... earlier this morning it was at 85%/240... a minute or two ago it was reporting 85% and 235. ... seconds ago it was 85% and 240, yet still it shows that its complete and not charging...

I'm pretty sure the difference between a minute or two ago and seconds ago was the battery warming up ever so slightly because I woke the car.

Is it expected that the car not start charging until so far (5%) below the setpoint, or even more, since I've not actually seen it restart charging after it finished last night.

Yes... its my second winter with my 3, and you'd think I would have noticed this last year. I don't charge at home overnight, instead telling the car to wait until 15-30 mins before my expected driveaway time so the battery and car are warming up by the time I leave. Any overnight losses would usually be hidden, and I charge to full at work.

I also recall one thread which pronounced that this hysteresis was considerably greater on later SW, but I might have that backwards.

Is it expected that the car not start charging until so far (5%) below the setpoint, or even more, since I've not actually seen it restart charging after it finished last night.
Traditionally that has been 3%, but there is a setting that can change this. If you are using scheduled charging, it will wait for that next scheduled time. So it might drift down 3%, but if it's still several more hours until your scheduled point (like for cheap nighttime rates), then it will continue to drop to 4%, 5%, 6%, etc. until it gets to that recharging cycle.

But if you have scheduled charging off, where it will recharge whenever, I thought they were still using that 3% threshold.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3