Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is electricity in your neck of the woods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious the range of electricity prices people are paying. I know we have it pretty good where we live from reading the rates in California...

Our cost is 9.515c/kWh for the first 300kWh and 8.286c/kWh after that (per month). We're on Rappahannock Electric Coop in central Virginia.

I checked on off-peak charging and I don't think it makes sense for us:

I have our garage on a separate meter and could get a Time of Use (off peak) schedule, but the rates for that would be 21.578c/kWh (20.348c/kWh after 300kWh) on peak* and 6.074c/kWh off peak (4.844c/kWh after 300kWh).

* they define on-peak as: May thru Sept 3-7pm on weekdays (excluding weekends, Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day)
Oct-April 6-9am and 5-8pm on weekdays, excluding weekends, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day)

Not sure if it's worth doing the on/off-peak think because if I did need to charge during peak hours (or use other stuff), the 21.578c/kWh would be a killer!

The upside is saving 3.5c/kWh but the downside is paying an extra 12c/kWh during peak hours.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]To charge the Tesla from empty (which wouldn't happen that often) would theoretically take 85kWh, which on the regular rate would be $8.08, and on the off peak rate it would be $5.73 (both the under 300kWh price).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]At the over 300kWh price it would be $7.02 on the regular plan and $4.12 on the offpeak plan.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The drawback of the on-peak plan is that any power used at the on-peak times about is pricey! Charging the car during those times would be $18.34. Cheaper than gas, but, not cheap![/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Could definitely charge the car on the cheap from 8pm-6am and 9am-5pm Oct-April and 7pm-3pm May thru Sept... though. So... the off-peak plan might make sense (for our detached garage only).[/FONT]

Last edited:
PSE&G Northern NJ 17.3 cents per Kilowatt Hour average as the rates vary from house to house. I have two electric bills both at a different rate. No tiered rates or anything here. I have solar panels does about 55% of the bill.

To charge the Tesla from empty (which wouldn't happen that often) would theoretically take 85kWh, which on the regular rate would be $8.08, and on the off peak rate it would be $5.73 (both the under 300kWh price).

Actually, be sure to add about 20% to what the car says you need to recharge for charging overhead. That is about what i have been experiencing over the last 5k miles on my MS.

Actually, be sure to add about 20% to what the car says you need to recharge for charging overhead. That is about what i have been experiencing over the last 5k miles on my MS.

Makes sense, though I'd almost never charge from empty, and almost never charge to full capacity. So "fill ups" should be less than quoted about.

I'm guessing with the relatively low rates we have, solar would take a much longer time to pay back down here.

9.5-17.5 depending on tier in NorCal.

Very expensive out here. But people "love" their green energy... :(

That's cheap!

In SoCal Edison in Irvine, the basic tiered rate is as follows:

January (winter baseline) 285KW.

Tier 1 - up to 285 kWh = $0.12 kWh - 285 kWh total
Tier 2 - next 86 kWh = $0.15 kWh - 371 kWh total
Tier 3 - next 200 kWh = $0.29 kWh - 571 kWh total
Tier 4 - next 285 kWh = $0.32 kWh - 856 kWh total
Tier 5 - anything more = $0.36 kWh -> any excess over 856 kWh

Moving to TOU can save quite a bit of money since it doesn't take much electricity until you're in the $0.29 kw tier.

Yeah, been wanting to post this as well. Basic math tells me that my last bill good old Con Ed hit me for 31.5 cents per kilowatt. Bayside, NY. How does that work? And trust me, this is not 'green'. Guess I'm getting taken to the woodshed no matter what. Tis what itis.

about $0.08 /kWh here in Lynchburg, VA - Appalachian Electric Power. That's an average from my bills and I've emailed them to see if there's a tier structure. Scott, you may want to check out Dominion Power as they have some special EV programs. Unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the James River for Dominion.

Unfortunately I don't think we have a choice. We were switched to Rappahannock about a year or two ago, and they have no EV programs that I've been able to find.

about $0.08 /kWh here in Lynchburg, VA - Appalachian Electric Power. That's an average from my bills and I've emailed them to see if there's a tier structure. Scott, you may want to check out Dominion Power as they have some special EV programs. Unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the James River for Dominion.

Here in the north (Ottawa, ON) our electricity seems a touch cheaper.

Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 10.35.39 PM.png

Makes up for the fact that I pay $5.34 / gallon for premium gas (as of 30 minutes ago). I can't wait to not pay for gas anymore.. ugh.

Here in the north (Ottawa, ON) our electricity seems a touch cheaper.

Unfortunately, that is only the provincial commodity charges and they do not include loss factor adjustments and delivery charges. In actual fact, it would be closer to:

Off Peak: 11.96 cents
Mid Peak: 16.17 cents
On Peak: 18.40 cents

These are my rates in the Toronto suburbs with a utility loss factor of 1.0349 and combined delivery charges of 4.07 cents then 13% HST added. If you are a rural Hydro One customer, I'm sorry to say it will even be higher.

In my billing cycle I go from tier 1 to tier 4 pretty quickly, but for the first 7-10 days, we pay $0.05/kWh to charge the Model S from midnight to 7am. Near the end of the billing cycle, we pay $0.35/kWh to charge off peak.
I can't wait for our new house with 36 solar panels...