Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an enthusiast with no Tesla that I own.. :( but anyhow.. just wondering how much is for the services for the car? how often is a service required? (Does it need oil change? :p). Although the motor is electric, i am sure there are moving parts and lots of it that still need service and oil.

Can someone that owns one provide some insight on what is the the cost after the purchase?

I am an enthusiast with no Tesla that I own.. :( but anyhow.. just wondering how much is for the services for the car? how often is a service required? (Does it need oil change? :p). Although the motor is electric, i am sure there are moving parts and lots of it that still need service and oil.

Can someone that owns one provide some insight on what is the the cost after the purchase?

I bring my car in once a year for its official service. It costs around $400 but the price can differ whether you buy prepaid visits or pay as you go visits.
They check the battery, brake pads, alignment, and many other items. I prefer to bring it in since it is a fairly new technology.
In between official visits, whenever I bring my car in for anything, Tesla gives it a thorough going over.
At one point, Tesla said you could bring the car in whenever you wanted for service (no mileage limit or time limit for visits). I'm not sure what their current statement is.

Only required fluid changes that are beyond the scope of your average owner are battery coolant and brake fluid. No oil. While in for service other needed updates may be done also.
Of course washer fluid needs to be periodically refilled, wiper blades changed, pollen filter changed and battery key fob replaced but those are easy and I take care of myself. I just had my car serviced for the first time in 3 years of ownership and around 65k miles.
Brakes should last a very long time since much of the braking is handled by the regenerative braking system and not the brake pads.

Last edited:
Tesla strongly recommends that you bring in the car every year for service. In Canada Year 1 is $450, Year 2 is $750, Year 3 is $450 and Year 4 is $950.
They don't anything significant except in year 4 where they change the coolant and every other year they change the brake fluid.

While Tesla claims the car require little service, they prices they charge are higher than almost any other gas powered car.

I had a different experience. I brought my MS in for a 40000 service and left with a $1900 bill. I was told the 40k service was approximately 850 initially and then they called to align and service breaks which I actually thought was included. So 850 for the 40k + $100 for parts(wiper blades etc) and another $900 which wasn't itemized. Kinda strange to me but at the end of the day I still love my MS.

I had a different experience. I brought my MS in for a 40000 service and left with a $1900 bill. I was told the 40k service was approximately 850 initially and then they called to align and service breaks which I actually thought was included. So 850 for the 40k + $100 for parts(wiper blades etc) and another $900 which wasn't itemized. Kinda strange to me but at the end of the day I still love my MS.
<raises eyebrows> I'd be not paying for something which isn't itemized. It was bad enough when looking at a service invoice the dealer (not Tesla) charged me $60 for tightening a bolt (among other things).

<raises eyebrows> I'd be not paying for something which isn't itemized. It was bad enough when looking at a service invoice the dealer (not Tesla) charged me $60 for tightening a bolt (among other things).

Lesson learned I guess. I am still to email them but haven't had the time. They did a survey which I answered and thought would have done the trick but the next time I'll most probably get the breaks and alignment done before I go. Has anyone done a 80000k service? Wonder what's the cost on that?

The annual service is $650 - I just had my first annual service last week. So although there isn't that much to do on a regular basis, like oil to change, the regular annual maintenance isn't going to be a savings vs comparable cars, at least not when cars are young.

- - - Updated - - -

I am in my third year and have only need to pay for the annual inspection. I thought it was $ 650.00 each time but could be wrong. Tesla has covered everything else...........
Have you had to have your drive train replaced? It seems like lots of early Model S owners have had issues with this.

I drive quite a bit and will be at 80,000km later this year. (bought January 2015)

I haven't paid for any service yet, but I was thinking it would be a good idea to get it serviced before I am out of warranty, as I know they check over a lot of systems and logs. I guess with the new service system if I was going to do it, I would get the 80k service.

Does this seem like a good idea to get done before I am out of warranty?

Or should I save the money, as the battery and DU are still covered till 250km anyway? How vital is the brake fluid change?

The annual service is $650 - I just had my first annual service last week. So although there isn't that much to do on a regular basis, like oil to change, the regular annual maintenance isn't going to be a savings vs comparable cars, at least not when cars are young.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you had to have your drive train replaced? It seems like lots of early Model S owners have had issues with this.

Yes I have had one motor replaced, it was done at around 60,000.00. Currently sitting at 81,000.00 KM and expect to be at 100K later this year.

I'm at 27 months and 49,000 km and I have not paid a cent for service after paying for the service plan when I bought the car. I got the 8 year plan for $4000, so $500/yr. I thought it was $650/yr if you pay as you go, but other people here seem to have paid varying amounts. I've had a drive unit replaced, one door handle replaced, two ranger calls to fix my charging station at home, and a number of other minor repairs, including several I didn't even ask for: a parking brake, 12V battery (twice), 12V jump post, stabilizer link, plus the usual filters, fluids, wiper blades, wheel alignments, etc. that they do annually.

Service has been nothing short of awesome. When I was driving home from Florida last year, I stopped in at the Paramus NJ store & supercharger to charge (no appointment), and while I was there, I mentioned that there seemed to be a new noise when driving at low speed. They sent a mechanic out to take a drive, agreed there was a problem, asked me what was my home service centre (Montreal), and arranged with them to have the drive unit replaced. When the unit was in, they sent a loaner Tesla in a trailer to Ottawa, took my car to Montreal for the repair, and sent it back. It needed to be fixed, but I hadn't even asked them to fix anything - just commented on the noise.

Given the comments here on varying costs if you pay as you go, I'd recommend getting the service plan.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm at 27 months and 49,000 km and I have not paid a cent for service after paying for the service plan when I bought the car. I got the 8 year plan for $4000, so $500/yr. I thought it was $650/yr if you pay as you go, but other people here seem to have paid varying amounts. I've had a drive unit replaced, one door handle replaced, two ranger calls to fix my charging station at home, and a number of other minor repairs, including several I didn't even ask for: a parking brake, 12V battery (twice), 12V jump post, stabilizer link, plus the usual filters, fluids, wiper blades, wheel alignments, etc. that they do annually.

Service has been nothing short of awesome. When I was driving home from Florida last year, I stopped in at the Paramus NJ store & supercharger to charge (no appointment), and while I was there, I mentioned that there seemed to be a new noise when driving at low speed. They sent a mechanic out to take a drive, agreed there was a problem, asked me what was my home service centre (Montreal), and arranged with them to have the drive unit replaced. When the unit was in, they sent a loaner Tesla in a trailer to Ottawa, took my car to Montreal for the repair, and sent it back. It needed to be fixed, but I hadn't even asked them to fix anything - just commented on the noise.

Given the comments here on varying costs if you pay as you go, I'd recommend getting the service plan.

Almost everything on that list are warranty items, not service items and would have been free regardless of what service plan you did or didn't get.

The only thing that's part of the service plan is the wiper blades and the cabin air filter (maybe the brake fluid if you've already had your 2 year service).

Right (except alignment is also part of annual service), but I was just pointing out that with the service plan, I am essentially "locked in" at the $500/yr that I've already paid, where I'm hearing other people are being charged varying amounts for annual service. I'm happy that it's just "all covered".

So was it worth paying for a service? I haven't spent a cent since I got my Tesla. There were a few fixes and upgrades but they were recalls or warranty items. I haven't even changed my wipers once yet.
In review of the bill it was detailed so its my fault for looking at my phone. Overall though I thought that this stuff was included in the 40k service. When I spoke to the service rep he made it seem as if i didnt need the annual service. Instead he said to do what I did. 40k and 80k and that would have been cheaper. To answer your question though would be difficult though as this is just my first year and my service bill is already 1800 and im not sure if the annual service would have saved me. Please be mindful for your 40K and let us know what your bill comes up too.
1.JPG
2.JPG

Right (except alignment is also part of annual service), but I was just pointing out that with the service plan, I am essentially "locked in" at the $500/yr that I've already paid, where I'm hearing other people are being charged varying amounts for annual service. I'm happy that it's just "all covered".
i am in same situation as Peter and very please that we are fully covered with annual servicing plan. Just wish Tesla would have servicing centre in Ottawa