Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is free Tesla Supercharging worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H*ll yeah.

Just did a 1,600 mile roadtrip, L2 charged for an hour+ in VA (free) and overnight in NJ (free but the garage wasn't).
Stopped at just about every supercharger I could find, promiscuous mode! The trip wouldn't have been possible
without the superchargers.

/Ed

Tesla have used about around 2.6 million kWh (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40349&d=1389349655), at approx off peak rate of 15 cents/kWh and 22,000 cars shipped, average user spends = (2,000,000/22,000) * 0.15 = $18 of electricity so far.

I'd guess it won't exceed $150 total by end of vehicle life in 10 to 12 years. With demand charges this still won't cost much more than $300 to $400 per car to Tesla, and that's not even accounting for solar feed-in for future stations, plus potentially other automakers buying access in future.

Great decision from Tesla to make it free like data -- roll the cost into the car. It costs almost nothing for the extra sales it surely leads to.

Tesla have used about around 2.6 million kWh (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40349&d=1389349655), at approx off peak rate of 15 cents/kWh and 22,000 cars shipped, average user spends = (2,000,000/22,000) * 0.15 = $18 of electricity so far.

I'd guess it won't exceed $150 total by end of vehicle life in 10 to 12 years. With demand charges this still won't cost much more than $300 to $400 per car to Tesla, and that's not even accounting for solar feed-in for future stations, plus potentially other automakers buying access in future.

Great decision from Tesla to make it free like data -- roll the cost into the car. It costs almost nothing for the extra sales it surely leads to.

Double it to allow for linear growth. 36 per car. There's also a limited network and you'd expect growth as the network expands.

I'm not sure if I would consider the Tesla Supercharger as "free". Owning a P60, I was unaware that the car was not configured for supercharger use until I pulled up to the one in Milford CT. I called Tesla on my cell and they configured my MS online remotely, so that I could charge up and complete my trip. The cost to keep this configuration was $2500. I did pay it, as having a Tesla without it (especially with superchargers now populating the northeast) didn't make sense. Yet, if I had to calculate it by $'s, with the amount of times I actually use a supercharger, it could be years if ever before I charge up $2500 of energy. (I would of bought the P85 if I known better). So in any case, "free" probably is not the proper term.

Hi Tom,
I'm a great supporter of the pre-paid Supercharger model and have already taken several road trips, with more scheduled for this year. I just wanted to point out that your math of 15 cents per kwh is not a good number to use here in California. That is only a portion of the equation as the larger utilities in the state also have a "Demand charge" that impacts billing as well. In fact, with EV DC fast chargers in general, the demand charge is the dominant number on the bill, and here in our area, worst case, can amount to about $30 per kw of peak demand per month. At full power with all 8 stalls in use at a typical station, that could be in the $10K - $15K range per month for the demand charge alone since their peak load can be in the 0.5 MW or 500 kW range. Probably the main reason why Tesla wants to put PV panels and storage batteries eventually at these sites...

So, I for one really appreciate Tesla building out a DC charging network when I know that it is costing them a lot of money on the installations and also a lot of money on the monthly operation...It makes me love the car and Tesla just that much more....

I'm not sure if I would consider the Tesla Supercharger as "free". Owning a P60, I was unaware that the car was not configured for supercharger use until I pulled up to the one in Milford CT. I called Tesla on my cell and they configured my MS online remotely, so that I could charge up and complete my trip. The cost to keep this configuration was $2500. I did pay it, as having a Tesla without it (especially with superchargers now populating the northeast) didn't make sense. Yet, if I had to calculate it by $'s, with the amount of times I actually use a supercharger, it could be years if ever before I charge up $2500 of energy. (I would of bought the P85 if I known better). So in any case, "free" probably is not the proper term.

Wait, what? Enabling supercharging on the car is purely a software function? I always thought there was some additional hardware required on the car, too. Huh.

Wait, what? Enabling supercharging on the car is purely a software function? I always thought there was some additional hardware required on the car, too. Huh.

There is, but it comes installed with the car anyway. They figured that people would (eventually) want to activate it even if they didn't do so at time of purchase.

As was alluded to in previous responses, the value of free Supercharging (to me) isn't just in the energy. It's in the convenience of a high powered DC charge and the true ability to road trip. For me, it cleared up the one deficiency of the Tesla vs. an ICE and made it superior all around.

don't forget land/lease + parking spots
this is possibly more than the rest of it unless some landowners are 'giving away space' for the incentive to shop or use the facilities or whatever of the land owner

I'm certainly guessing this is part of the negotiating factor, and why you'll find them at Factory Outlets often. It seems like an easy decision for the retail location - you're going to get owners of $70-$130k cars browsing for 30-60 minutes in exchange for 8 parking spots? Done.

The value of supercharging is much more than the cost of electricity. If I cannot supercharge on a road trip, it means the model S stays home. The alternates are to fly and rent a car or to take an ICE car. I know that a round trip between L.A. and San Francisco costs about $180 in gasoline in a low 20s mpg ICE vehicle for me. So when I plan a trip in the model S, I think about the equivalent cost of gasoline not the cost of the electricity.

Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors
Sunday, March 31, 2013

The customers who ordered this option will instead receive the 60 kWh pack, but range will be software limited to 40 kWh. It will still have the improved acceleration and top speed of the bigger pack, so will be a better product than originally ordered, and can be upgraded to the range of the 60 kWh upon request by the original or a future owner.

Tesla is also revealing a small Easter egg today: all 60 kWh cars have been and will be built with Supercharger hardware included. Tesla is taking a slight cost risk that ultimately all customers will want to buy the Supercharger upgrade and receive unlimited, free long distance travel for life. Even for those that never drive long distances, this will improve the resale value of their car to people that do.

I actually talked to a couple at a supercharger who had a 60 without supercharging capability. They were never told it was extra and not part of the car when they purchased. They had been counting on it. They called tesla who "turned it on for 24 hours" for them as a gesture of goodwill. Tesla also explained the cost. So it can be turned on and off remotely.