TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much is Tesla spending to re-paint cars?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by MarkBrokeIt, May 20, 2018.

1. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

Tracking some of the latest photos, it looks like they've started putting front end/rear end wrap on some cars. But it's not all cars, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious pattern to it (like cars that are on the front/back of the carrier get it). I can't get a good sense from the pics, if they are always wrapping S/X cars & just not wrapping 3's.

But there are so many threads here from people saying they had to get rock chip damage repaired, or other more serious paint rework done. Wonder how much cash they are burning through with all of the repairs they're doing vs. the minimal cost of wrapping the cars before they get on the carrier.

2. slotti

slotti Member

Mine is being repainted, or better say was, getting it back today. But not based on rock chips but overspray with blobs of paint forming at the fender tips.
    They are spending a lot!

• Informative x 2
  3. Cali_wete

Cali_wete Member

2k for 2 doors.

• Informative x 1
  4. gambit48

gambit48 Member

I honestly doubt they know themselves.

They're a lot less organized than you'd think. Imagine a brand new (like 6 months old or newer) startup.

It probably amounts to a rounding error and is lumped into some giant expense category like "material costs".

• Like x 1
  5. beantownrich

beantownrich Member

Mine was repainted front bumper but more due to bubbles than the shipping rock chip, but my SC advisor told me they're working on a new recyclable "bag" to ship the cars in versus the non-reusable wraps. Kinda cool!

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

I see more and more wrapped new cars on car haulers. Imagine that this is going to become the norm for shipping new vehicles.

7. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

$10k to repaint my whole car, i am sure there is plenty of money being spent on local body shops for the rework, lots of body shops are scrambling trying to get tesla certified so they can get a piece of the tesla rework action.

Body shops around Fremont are raking it in, as well as any certified shop next to a tesla service center

8. MistaEV

MistaEV Member

According to the guy who did my delivery, my car and others at the shop were shipped in covered containers.