TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much is the 85kwh battery worth?

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by AMPd, Mar 11, 2017.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I have a friend who purchased a salvage model S he wanted to fix himself but is having a hard time doing it.
    He decided to part it out.

How much is the battery worth?

2. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

I don't have a good idea but I would imagine it would be worth much more when the 8 year warranty runs up.

There's certainly a value to it but only another salvage owner would want/need a battery right now.

3. Yaro

Yaro Member

Where is your friend from? If he hasn't started to part it out. I might be interested in buying the car. Shoot me some pictures.

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Sacramento CA
    But the car has been mostly sold for parts.
    He still has the battery pack which I would like to purchase and use as storage.
    I just don't know what the fair value of it is.

5. Yaro

Yaro Member

Gotchya. That's where I'm from.

One battery module is around $1,200 on eBay. An 85kWh battery has 16 of those modules. So, 16*1,200=19,200. Factor in eBay and PayPal fees(2,100). Include shipping costs, at least $50 a module, that's another $800. So now that's $2,900. Now you're at $16,300. If you buy all of them, you should surely get some type of discount. You would also have to factor in how many miles were driven on those modules.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

That's what I thought it would be around 15-16k
    I'm not worried about the mileage even though it was low a bit over 8k miles on the car.
    It'll be used for residential storage
    I'm hoping to purchase a few of these packs to be completely free of the utility.

• Like x 2
  7. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

FYI- whole 85 cars can be had at salvage auctions for less than $15K. The two I purchased were both less than $10K with good low mileage 85kwh batteries.

8. Yaro

Yaro Member

How'd you get away with getting them so cheap? There was one last week that was smacked in the front and the whole left side was scraped. Sold for $16,000

9. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

How do you covert to home storage? Do the batteries still need to be cooled and heated?

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

11. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

They don't need to be heated unless you are storing them in a freezer or outside in a snow bank. Cooling, yes, that is an issue that you'd have to pay attention to inside a house.

12. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

You just need to look at the ones that aren't worth fixing. People who rebuild them always pay more. With used parts getting cheaper and more plentiful, the salvage yards are unwilling to pay top dollar anymore.