Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is the MCU2 infotainment upgrade supposed to cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MS 75D with ap2 and I just dropped my car off to upgrade the mcu. I've read some posts saying it should be $1500 and other posts saying $2000. can someone clarify? also do they change out the whole screen or just the components behind the screen?

$2,000 for your car at this moment. It's also been $2,500 and $1,500 at different times in the past.

Yes, you get a new LCD screen, and your autopilot computer will be upgraded to AP3.

Thank you for the quick reply 😊 One more thing, how long should the upgrade take to complete? I dropped the car off at 9am this morning and I just got a message saying they are done. This morning they told me that the car would be there overnight till tomorrow afternoon because the garage was backed up. Did I just get lucky?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply 😊 One more thing, how long should the upgrade take to complete? I dropped the car off at 9am this morning and I just got a message saying they are done. This morning they told me that the car would be there overnight till tomorrow afternoon because the garage was backed up. Did I just get lucky?
It took them about a day and a half to do mine and then they had to do some OTA fixes a few days later after the install because they didn't enable *sugar* i had in my car (heated wheel)

Upvote 0
I have a 2017 MS 75D with ap2 and I just dropped my car off to upgrade the mcu. I've read some posts saying it should be $1500 and other posts saying $2000. can someone clarify? also do they change out the whole screen or just the components behind the screen?
It's confusing because Tesla changed the price several times. It was $1500 for everyone including AP2/2.5 cars from about mid January to mid March 2021. Prior to that it was $2500 for everyone. It is now $2000 for AP2/2.5 cars and $1500 for everyone else.

I wouldn't consider myself very lucky overall but I lucked out by getting it before the price went back up.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Upvote 0
The one caveat in pricing that was true for me and discussed in many other threads is that they are charging you $500 for the AP 3.0 computer install . if you have paid for FSD and already had AP3.0 computer installed, Then the MCU2 is $1500. I paid $2000 because I also got the $500 radio add on.

Upvote 0
Don’t forget the extra $500 if you want the FM radio
I passed on the Radio upgrade as it didn't include AM which I occasionally listened to for Mariners games. I was not eligible for the Sirius XM as my car didn't come with that originally (base audio). All of my local stations that I listen to are available via one of the streaming channels although some are heavily compressed and sound terrible.

Upvote 0
Ok so I picked my car up and I still can't subscribe to FSD. I've spoken to the SC three times and I've been given 3 different answers about what I paid for when I took my car in. Initially I took the car in for the $1000 AP3 upgrade so I could subscribe to full self driving. However I decided to get the infotainment upgrade for $2000 so I could get the complimentary AP3 upgrade when I dropped my car off. When I picked up my car I asked if I would be able to subscribe to FSD now and the tech said that I should be able to. I had to drive to a supercharging station to charge up since they didn't even charge my car and I was not able to subscribe to the FSD in the app. So I called them this morning and the SC is telling me that I have to pay $1000 for the AP3 computer?? I'm like what? Why wasn't it installed? That is the whole reason I took it in in the first place. Then the SC tells me that the infotainment upgrade was $1500 and the other $500 was for the radio? I didn't ask for radio, and their is no radio in my car. I'm really confused now and am waiting for SC manager to reach out to me to see what is going on. I mean my car says that it has the AP3 computer so I don't know what else they would need to install. The guy I spoke to at the SC seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about but at this point I'm now very confused as well. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0
Ok so I picked my car up and I still can't subscribe to FSD. I've spoken to the SC three times and I've been given 3 different answers about what I paid for when I took my car in. Initially I took the car in for the $1000 AP3 upgrade so I could subscribe to full self driving. However I decided to get the infotainment upgrade for $2000 so I could get the complimentary AP3 upgrade when I dropped my car off. When I picked up my car I asked if I would be able to subscribe to FSD now and the tech said that I should be able to. I had to drive to a supercharging station to charge up since they didn't even charge my car and I was not able to subscribe to the FSD in the app. So I called them this morning and the SC is telling me that I have to pay $1000 for the AP3 computer?? I'm like what? Why wasn't it installed? That is the whole reason I took it in in the first place. Then the SC tells me that the infotainment upgrade was $1500 and the other $500 was for the radio? I didn't ask for radio, and their is no radio in my car. I'm really confused now and am waiting for SC manager to reach out to me to see what is going on. I mean my car says that it has the AP3 computer so I don't know what else they would need to install. The guy I spoke to at the SC seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about but at this point I'm now very confused as well. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
If your car indicates that it has the Full self-driving computer there is nothing else you can do. Maybe they forgot to change something in their database to enable the in app subscription purchase. It sounds like your SC person is clueless which wouldn't be the first time as others have had similar experiences.

Upvote 0
If there is anyone on the fence about upgrading your MCU, do it. I sat on the sidelines for a year and got it done a few months back and it is worth its weight in gold. Not only is the screen responsive, everything else just works vastly better. Even my cell reception is much more consistent with a stronger signal (already had LTE prior).

I was kicking myself for waiting so long.

• Helpful
Reactions: dfndr90
Upvote 0
Confirm: Does the car show "full self driving computer" in the "more info" section of the software page?

Do you now see extra driving visualizations in the instrument cluster? Cones, trash cans, etc?

If so, you have the computer. Whatever is happening is on the back end, in software, might just take a day or two, etc.

Upvote 0
We had it done for both our ‘17 S and X. On the X they also replaced the mainscreen bezel which was nice as wife had scratched it up. The smaller screen was also replaced on both. The only isssue with our upgrades were some of the Homelink settings got hosed.

But if you are on the fence, jump. The improvements are well worth it.

Upvote 0
My SC today told me the MCU2 upgrade is $1800 for my 2014 Model S about a week after I asked for them to install it. I didn't ask for radio and I already have LTE (if that should make a difference). I said they were incorrect, that it is $1500. The Tesla webpage here Infotainment Upgrade indicates for all other vehicles other than AP 2 or 2.5 (I don't have any AP or hardware for it) that the price is $1500. When I asked to purchase about a week ago, they told me $1500. Do you think I can get them to honor the advertised price?

Upvote 0