TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much is too little

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by AustroTom, Sep 5, 2017.

1. AustroTom

AustroTom Member

Hello All,
    Now that we own our TMS 60 since October 28 '16 and have about 19,500 miles on it I'm seriously wondering how much lower the full charging will go.

The first two weeks of ownership we were able to charge to 217 miles.
    Then it was mostly 205-202.
    Now for a week or so 199 miles is the max we get from a full charge.
    Is this about right and will it drop much farther than that?

Thanks for any replies
    Thomas

2. number12

number12 Active Member

Have you cycled? Deplete battery completely from full charge? I'm not actually sure what it does, but google that.

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

There are a bunch of threads about battery degradation, which is what it sounds like you're asking about. Having a software limited 60 adds the possibility of an unbalanced pack contributing - the software limited 40s had big problems with that, I'm not sure if it's a factor with the 60/75s.

Here's one of the many threads:

Model S Battery Degradation

4. AustroTom

AustroTom Member

We do run it down pretty often (two days ago I arrived at the sc with 2 miles left ). So depleting shouldn't be a problem.

5. AustroTom

AustroTom Member

Although the final verdict isn't out yet, most tesla owners and service centers agree that a 60 software lock eliminates the need for reduced capacity charging thus staying well within the limits of preserving excessive charging degradation.
    So I'm wondering if the frequent charging might play a roll.
    We average about 100 miles per day

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Yup. The 40s were encountering issues where because the batteries never got over ~70% SoC, the BMS never did any balancing between cell groups and so they showed lower capacity than they actually had. I'm not sure if that's a risk for the 60s or not.

Staying below the range for accelerated degradation doesn't mean that you won't experience any degradation - the ~6% for the first year chart that's been floating around in some of those threads was based on data from cars charged to 90% I believe - supposed to be below the threshold for accelerated aging.

7. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

For what it’s worth I have a Dec. ‘16 MS 60 with 25k miles and my observed degradation is right in line with yours, full charge today is ~199.

I average about 120mi per day, with a normal charge cycle of 100% -> 30%.

8. AustroTom

AustroTom Member

So, we're about the same. Do you charge primarily at home, Superchargers...?

9. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

To avoid any bigger problems down the line from an unbalanced battery, I did the 75 upgrade and I don't regret it at all. I suggest you guys do that too.

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

95%+ at home using 240/40A UMC. I've probably supercharged less than 20 times.