Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is too much (charging to 100%)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a fuel gauge. It's showing the amount of actual energy, and I've been trying to help you not make it into something it isn't. You're trying to use that as a customized estimated projection of your unique driving style. It isn't that.

I edited my post above because perhaps you are confused about which EV's I was talking about at the time...

In a NON Tesla, the guess-o-meter is 100000000% NOT a fuel gauge.
End of story, period, anyone that has owned one will agree with this.
It will change, both upwards and downwards depending on the way you drive the car (and many other factors). For this reason, the ability to increase, it cannot be considered a fuel gauge. Fuel gauges NEVER go up (while in use), they only go down. Guess-o-meters go up or down.
The battery % gauge is the (NON TESLA) cars fuel gauge, these are two very different things.

Just because Tesla does things one way (the backwards way) doesn't negate the way other manufacturers do it. There are legit owners manuals that explain how the guess-o-meter works in NON-TESLA EV's.

The estimated is elsewhere, not on that little battery icon.

Again, perhaps you are confused, I'm speaking about NON-Tesla's.

And that very guess-o-meter is also in the car in a different place. People have BOTH, and they can look at whichever one they like at whatever time they like. It's really disappointing that most other electric cars force people to only have that one way to view the energy available. Why is this so upsetting to you for people to have both options available?

Its CONFUSING, now I have to teach them all of these steps to look at the energy page as opposed to just looking at the icon predominantly displayed on the dash. I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend. Having these choices is clearly confusing to Tesla owners as we've seen here today and we'll likely see next week, the week after that, etc. Every post or comment "I drove 10 miles and my range dropped 15 miles" is a confirmation that this is asinine. But I know there are Tesla owners and enthusiasts that will defend Tesla no matter the cost.

No--not opinion. Having both, so people have choices is objectively better than not having choices.

Again, its CONFUSING. Give us an option in the settings to set the battery icon to display estimated range, that would be the real choice.

The battery icon range display could definitely stand improvement. I choose to skip using the range display and only display the battery state of charge % indicator.

If Tesla was to start over with this indicator what metrics should be included in any range estimate? Here's my list:

I would tie the range estimate to the user profile so that Driver A's range estimate reflects their heavy foot on the accelerator pedal, etc. I would track driving history including: driving style (vehicle driving settings, most efficient, normal, aggressive, least efficient), route (shortest route, fastest route, elevation change), seasonal temperature variations, battery pack temperature, current outside air temperature and any current extreme weather/road conditions, historical use of climate control, historical use of preconditioning. I would include a factor for the tires that are on the vehicle (wheel size and type (all season, summer or winter; include a factor for actual versus recommended cold tire pressure.) For the driving history I would want the ability to track this over several months with an option to erase the driving history (if for example Driver B changes jobs and has a different commute.)

Last edited:
Reactions: imola.zhp
But here is the thing guys (or gals), every other EV (that I am aware of) DOES display a guess of mileage range. So some of us coming from other manufacturers are blown away at this nonsense. I've always got my eye on the guess-o-meter, now I have to have the Energy page up to see a real estimate? I have to have that up instead of maps, music or whatever? Ridiculous. I'm not going to enter all of my destinations in so I can have an idea of my range, who has time for this? I get in the car and drive, the guess-o-meter tells me how many miles I have, I can quickly adjust climate or driving style to stretch range if I need to.

I'm sure I'll get over this after delivery, again, we don't drive that much and living in Memphis, we will likely not have to worry about range. Especially coming from a 2014 i3 and 2015 Leaf which have less than half of the EPA rated range of a Model Y combined.

But this is still asinine, no wonder its so commonly discussed.

I don’t disagree, but you may find this is not that big of a deal once you have your car. A lot of it is due to the car’s range - it just isn’t that big of a deal.

For road trips, the built in navigation will tell you your protected charge at arrival, and it’s pretty darn accurate.

Enjoy the car when you get it!

Again, its CONFUSING. Give us an option in the settings to set the battery icon to display estimated range, that would be the real choice.

I've always wondered why Tesla did this.

I think the preferred option would be to have both - battery percentage shown, and then somewhere else on the UI (maybe directly below the percentage/bar graphic) is the number that is shown on the energy bar using the "last 30 mile" average consumption.

Reactions: imola.zhp