Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much jack height to lift both wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting a floor jack, trying to find the lowest price and size that will do the job well. I want to lift high enough at one jack point so I can put a (low) jack stand under the other point, jack pad included. Options range from 20" / 510 mm lift (big, pricey) to 14" / 360 mm (cheaper, smaller, available used).

Do I need the highest lifting one to get the other point 11-12" off the ground?

The only reason I’d ever jack a car up that high is when rotating the tires with no jack stands. Why would you want to Jack the car up so high just to put a jack stand under the other wheel? Get a good jack and use it as designed. My jack is 3 pumps to get it to its max height. It honestly would take you what, 5 seconds to jack up the wheels independently?

Getting a floor jack, trying to find the lowest price and size that will do the job well.

Please do NOT do that.
Lowest price and size are the absolutely WORST selection criteria when shopping for a floor jack.
Instead, focus on the minimum height (so that you can get the saddle with a puck under the jack point), jack wheel width (for stability), and weight (for portability and comfort of use).

Minimal quality 3+ton low-saddle jacks will do the job.
Aluminum ones will be pricier, but easier to handle.
If you are cheap and frequent HF, the Daytona 3-ton will do:

More info here:

HTH,
a

The only reason I’d ever jack a car up that high is when rotating the tires with no jack stands. Why would you want to Jack the car up so high just to put a jack stand under the other wheel? Get a good jack and use it as designed. My jack is 3 pumps to get it to its max height. It honestly would take you what, 5 seconds to jack up the wheels independently?

For changing tires it's fine, but I'm going to be poking inside the wheel arches to maintain the brakes and to fit an anti rust kit, and I'd like that corner to be on stands then. But I don't want to get the big, expensive jack stands just for that.

Please do NOT do that.
Lowest price and size are the absolutely WORST selection criteria when shopping for a floor jack.

I did qualify it with "...that will do the job well". That 3-ton looks very good, but it's bit too big and heavy for the condo garage and my storage soace. I live in Norway so we don't have HF, but it looks like the whole world has more or less the same jacks under many different brands. Here are two of the ones I'm considering:

2 ton, rotating arm good for tight spaces, similar type available used near me for cheap: Pro-Lift 2 Ton Low Profile Floor Jack-F-767 - The Home Depot
2.5 ton, the good one: 2.5 Ton Low Profile Garage Trolley Jack

The only reason I’d ever jack a car up that high is when rotating the tires with no jack stands. Why would you want to Jack the car up so high just to put a jack stand under the other wheel?

How do you jack up the car and then put a jack stand under the same corner, since the designated jack point is big enough for either a jack or jack stand, but not both? Or do you have to use one of the special jack stands, or jack up using a 4x4 and then put jack stands under the 4x4?

If you are using a jack pad for the Tesla, you need the jack to lift to about 9.5" to comfortably be able to remove both wheels and tires on the same side. I do it all the time with my jacks that have two built-in locking points (so they serve as jack stands as well). The two locking points are at 9.5" and 14.5" and I always lock the jack at the 9.5" point when rotating my tires from front to back. That gives plenty of space under the tire (I use a plastic jack pad for Model 3).

Here's a picture of my jack with the locking bar at the lowest position (9.5" saddle height).
IMG_20200329_140705.jpg

This is the jack I have (well, I actually have 3 of them) Powerbuilt 620479E Xtra Low Profile Floor Jack with Safety Bar - 2 Ton Load Capacity. They are a little more expensive now than when I bought mine years ago.

IMG_20181106_111732.jpg

How do you jack up the car and then put a jack stand under the same corner, since the designated jack point is big enough for either a jack or jack stand, but not both?

That, obviously, presents a challenge.
Normal well designed cars have a central jacking point under the front (near firewall) and rear (around diff) that allow you to lift one end of the car, and put the jack stands under the jacking points. Then repeat the same with the other end.
Those central jacking points are missing on Tesla frames. More below.

Or do you have to use one of the special jack stands, or jack up using a 4x4 and then put jack stands under the 4x4?

All side sills of cars are heavily reinforced for unibody integrity and crash safety. They are even stronger on Tesla's that use them as battery mounting points.
You can safely place a 1-2' (foot) long piece of 2x4 adjacent to the jacking points, and use that to lift a side of the car, then place the jack stand under the jacking point. I've done that on many cars in the past, including our Model 3 that incurred front under-engine shield damage that had to be jerry rigged in place before the customary 3-4 week delay with the SC service appointment.

That's only necessary if you need to jack the entire car up.
For swapping wheels, jacking either end of the car will get both wheels off the ground with any heavy duty jack.

I did qualify it with "...that will do the job well". That 3-ton looks very good, but it's bit too big and heavy for the condo garage and my storage soace. [...]Here are two of the ones I'm considering:
2 ton, rotating arm good for tight spaces, similar type available used near me for cheap: Pro-Lift 2 Ton Low Profile Floor Jack-F-767 - The Home Depot
2.5 ton, the good one: 2.5 Ton Low Profile Garage Trolley Jack

The wheels on both of the above look a bit too narrow for my comfort.
My only advise to anyone shopping for a jack - go bigger and sturdier than you think you need for the current project, or you will go shopping again in the near future. It's not a tool where you want to cut things too close to the margins.

My shop jack is a heavy steel AC Hydraulics unit that I got 20+ years ago. Still works perfectly, and is solid enough to lift anything from small race cars to heavy SUVs. Here its current nearest equivalent (DK20Q) that I could find on Amazon:

If you are lifting on anything other than perfectly smooth and perfectly level concrete garage surfaces, the jack will shift both forward and sideways during the lifting process. You REALLY don't want it to shift sideways and then start leaning over because jack's wheel base is too narrow!

YMMV,
a

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
For rotating my tires I have used the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh 1.5 ton aluminum "racing" jack (Part number 64545)(minimum height is 3.5 inches and max is over 13) to jack up one wheel and the other on that side comes up quite a bit. Then I put the standard scissor jack from my Modern Spare tire set under the other jack point on that side (with a pad on both) so I don't have to do much, or any, heavy cranking of the old-style jack. Of course, the wheels are blocked. This is fine for tire work, but I would not rely on a jack if I were to be under the car, or even have my arms under it. The jack's capacity is 3,000 pounds and the car weighs about 4100 pounds, so I feel there is a faair safety margin.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

If you are using a jack pad for the Tesla, you need the jack to lift to about 9.5" to comfortably be able to remove both wheels and tires on the same side. I do it all the time with my jacks that have two built-in locking points (so they serve as jack stands as well). The two locking points are at 9.5" and 14.5" and I always lock the jack at the 9.5" point when rotating my tires from front to back. That gives plenty of space under the tire (I use a plastic jack pad for Model 3).

Here's a picture of my jack with the locking bar at the lowest position (9.5" saddle height).
View attachment 756125

This is the jack I have (well, I actually have 3 of them) Powerbuilt 620479E Xtra Low Profile Floor Jack with Safety Bar - 2 Ton Load Capacity. They are a little more expensive now than when I bought mine years ago.

View attachment 756126

That's very helpful, thank you! Looks like I won't need the extra height of highest lifting one to clear a jack stand. The car doesn't go far off level either. Wish I could get a locking jack near me, that would be the easiest. The shipping fees to Norway are eye-watering. 😄

Reactions: Andy7
Please do NOT do that.
Instead, focus on the minimum height (so that you can get the saddle with a puck under the jack point), jack wheel width (for stability), and weight (for portability and comfort of use).

Minimal quality 3+ton low-saddle jacks will do the job.
Aluminum ones will be pricier, but easier to handle.
If you are cheap and frequent HF, the Daytona 3-ton will do:

More info here:

HTH,
a
I have had that Daytona jack (the yellow one) for years, I'm pretty sure I got it from Harbor Freight and it works like a charm on my Model 3

I like that Powerbuilt because of the safety bar but I see its 2 Ton. Most of the ones I have seen used on Tesla are 3 tons. Is 2 ton good enough since your not actually hold the full weigh of the car on it?
2 ton capacity is fine because you are not lifting the whole car up with 1 jack. And even if you were (it's not possible to), there is a margin of safety built into the jacks.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle

View attachment 756125

View attachment 756126
Thanks for the information on jacking. The pictures and links are very helpful.