Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much kw / hp does a 100D (non-P) really have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does anyone know how much power a december 2017 100D (non-P) actually has? I find all kinds of numbers, ranging from 330 - 590 hp.

Got the car a couple of days ago and man, what a nice car to drive! Thinking about upgrading the MCU tho, that's pretty slow. Otherwise fantastic car.

I have that config, great car and going strong after 100k miles, have 8% battery degradation. Definitely upgrade the MCU, I did that and it is like a new car. I don’t know how many HP it actually has, the energy gauge goes quite a bit beyond 300, but it doesn’t show.

Same configuration as well : 12.2017 Model S 100D.
Figures : 525 Nm, 525 HP (386 kW) and almost no batterie degradation after 56'000 km (100% = 621 km (WLTP) rated).
Batterie : 100 kWh, Pack = 102.4 kWh, Usable 98.4 kWh, actual status 97 kWh)
Last 100% charging (20.06.2021) : Rated 625 km, Typical 501 km, Estimated @ 170 kWh = 566 km
Average Winter : 20.5 kW / 100km
Average Summer : 18.1 kW / 100 km
Charging speed @ supercharger V2 = 135 kWh / 900 km/h Max
Charging speed @ supercharger V3 = didn't tried yet ( with CCS retrofit)

Last edited:
*how you've found
HP and kW are based on the Tax dept. info for cars in Switzerland.

Tesla Model S 100D - Spec.jpeg

What do you means with kw/hp ?

Using the conversion tool kW to HP you get 386 kW = 524.81 Metric Horse Power.
I meant either the amount of kw or the amount of hp, like I said I found many different numbers about how much of either the 100d actually has, especially since the software update of late 2017 which seems to have improved acceleration. It's also unclear to me if from late 2017 on, the 100d is different hardware wise. Thanks for your response!

If you look at the energy gauge in the car, you can see that it exceeds 300kW, and 300kW = 400hp, so it gotta have at least 400hp. A 500hp figure is plausible since the gauge goes quite a bit 300 when you floor the accelerator at moderate speeds or higher. At lower speeds, max HP is limited by Torque. As HP is roughly equal to Torque x Speed.

I feel there are 3 zones of power (ignore wheel friction limits)
0 - Some lower speed: Torque limited, max acceleration. Power increase with speed where Torque at max. I feel for my 100D this is around 50kmph
Lower speed to pretty high speed: Power limited. Power at max, as speed goes up torque decrease and acceleration decreases
A very high speed: Motor RPM limited: Power decrease to only maintain speed as acceleration decreases to zero

At lower speeds, max HP is limited by Torque. As HP is roughly equal to Torque x Speed.

Small error, HP is not limited by Torque at lower speeds it is limited by RPM as Torque is fairly flat thought the entire RPM range.

Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe.