Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much mileage do you lose if you remove the aero wheel cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

how much mileage do you lose if you remove the aero wheel cover? do you lose significantly many miles if drive without aero wheel cover? I want to get a center hud cover but not sure if I will lose alot of mileage during winter. Thank you!

I have driven with the Tesla caps only since the start (I think the M3 Aero covers are hideous, although I like the new MY ones much better).

I drive in Canada (winters down to -30 C / -22 F) and find I attain the same driving range as Tesla's planner suggests depending on my speed. So I think removing the aeros is negligible compared to speed and heat settings impact. Mind you, all told, I find I lose upwards of 40% range in cold winter temps. So I bought the AWD model for the winter traction, but I'm glad it's the LR for winter range it adds!

I haven’t received my LR yet but I read somewhere you can configure the tire / wheel options including removing the aero wheel cover in your settings. This the way the range will update based on the loss of efficiency of the covers.

I have driven with the Tesla caps only since the start (I think the M3 Aero covers are hideous, although I like the new MY ones much better).

I drive in Canada (winters down to -30 C / -22 F) and find I attain the same driving range as Tesla's planner suggests depending on my speed. So I think removing the aeros is negligible compared to speed and heat settings impact. Mind you, all told, I find I lose upwards of 40% range in cold winter temps. So I bought the AWD model for the winter traction, but I'm glad it's the LR for winter range it adds!

I don't hate the look, but if you do run them the dirt they trap plus the clips will eventually score the wheels. This is considered normal wear by Tesla.

For this reason and ease of cleaning I only put them on if I really need every last bit of range. Similarly, I find temperature to be a much bigger factor. I'm also happy for the LR during winter.

Reactions: coolmanfever
I had the aero wheels when I first bought the car and I would just put the caps on for road trips. The rest of the time I couldn’t stand to look at them.

The refresh cars’ caps look a bit better though.
That's exactly what I do. For the long road trips, I figured 3-4% each leg of charging makes a big difference by the end of the road trip.

If you decide you want to take them off and on, you'll probably want to get the Aero Wheel Cap Kit from Tesla which covers the lug nuts and also adds a center cap. The problem is it's a pain to get that center cap off but if you buy this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GLC1PTU), it's super easy to take them off. I have used it many times now to put on my aero hub caps.

Reactions: RoyT and mhiran1
I had my Aero wheels on the first 20k mile, until I discover it was scratching the crap out of the rims below. I took it off after that. Now my car is at 42k mile. I looked at my energy consumption wh / mile. And did not noticed any significant difference. I think other factors affect it more than those Aero wheel. Just do what you like and enjoy it. This car is already very efficient to begin with.

That's exactly what I do. For the long road trips, I figured 3-4% each leg of charging makes a big difference by the end of the road trip.

If you decide you want to take them off and on, you'll probably want to get the Aero Wheel Cap Kit from Tesla which covers the lug nuts and also adds a center cap. The problem is it's a pain to get that center cap off but if you buy this (Amazon.com: AMTION Mini Vacuum Suction Cup Handle ONLY for iPad iPhone iPod Mac Screen Repair Tool Kit Glass Lifting Puller 2pcs(Not for Home use Such as Mugs and Pottery etc) : Electronics), it's super easy to take them off. I have used it many times now to put on my aero hub caps.

They replaced the original Aero kit with a single piece that is easy to remove. I actually like the look better too.

edit: look like you can still get the OG ones, but they are way more expensive than they used to be.

They replaced the original Aero kit with a single piece that is easy to remove. I actually like the look better too.

edit: look like you can still get the OG ones, but they are way more expensive than they used to be.

Interesting. Thanks for that info. I didn't realize they replaced it. I think I like the older look better, even if it was harder to take off (unless you bought that suction tool). I can't believe it's $70 now.

I had my Aero wheels on the first 20k mile, until I discover it was scratching the crap out of the rims below. I took it off after that. Now my car is at 42k mile. I looked at my energy consumption wh / mile. And did not noticed any significant difference. I think other factors affect it more than those Aero wheel. Just do what you like and enjoy it. This car is already very efficient to begin with.
City driving they don’t make as much of a difference but on highway long road trips it’s a lot more significant.

City driving your not going to notice much difference but on highway long road trips it does add up to quite a bit. I only put mine on for those long trips that are going to be almost constant highway speed. I.E. when I drive from Florida to the middle of nowhere Tennessee to pick up my niece I have to round trip plan it from the Chattanooga supercharger once I get up there to where she lives and back to it since there’s none anywhere around where she lives unless I want to go another hour north, west, or east of her. So I charge to 90% and always put the covers on for that trip. She literally live dead center of Tennessee in the “hills have eyes” town of rockwood. Where people stop what they are doing to stare at my Tesla like it’s a delorean or Ferrari or something.

Anyone try these?

Screenshot_20220730-141249_Brave.jpg

Reactions: BigNick