Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much mileages do you have with your tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model x is the 2016 model with 20inch wheels. Always use the standard continental tires.
The first set of tires were replaced at around 25k miles, now it's 48k miles and the tires are pretty much wore out, especially on innner side of the front tires.

So we are replacing the set again.

I wonder whether this is typical. Due to the covid situation, we did have a lot of local miles put on the tires recently, I guess that might contribute to the wear. Also I checked the suspension setting, and found the height was to "always" low. I'm changing to only lowing it at 55+ mph, not sure whether that's going to helpl.

On our 2017 model X we did the first tire replacement at 27,000 miles. Now at 51,000 miles, I’m monitoring it closely and don’t think we will make it to 54,000 miles… so getting a bit less out of this set.

I am understanding 20,000-something miles is very typical. There are those who say they have to replace after 10,000 miles and outliers occasionally report to get notably more than we are.

Reactions: keytalker
Upvote 0
2018 MX with 19” Contis here.
19"? AFAIK, 20" has always been standard for the X, are you on the winter wheel set, running aftermarket rims, or is that just a typo? If 19", are they UHP tires with a low mileage rating to begin with (like most people are running), or are they something like touring tires that have a higher rated mileage to begin with?

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0
The tires on our 2018 X 75 with 20" wheels were just about at replacement when we turned it in. We had about 21,000 on the car. That seems about right for a very heavy car that is fun to drive. The weight and quick acceleration wear the tires quicker.

70% city/30% highway

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2020 Model X with 22" tires on OEM tire setup.

Brand new 0 miles -- 7mm thread all around.

14 months and 15k miles later here's how they measured:
  • Front Driver — 5mm
  • Front Passenger — 5mm
  • Rear Driver — 6.5mm
  • Rear Passenger — 6.5mm

About a 50/50 mix of city + highway driving.

Upvote 0
My model x is the 2016 model with 20inch wheels. Always use the standard continental tires.
The first set of tires were replaced at around 25k miles, now it's 48k miles and the tires are pretty much wore out, especially on innner side of the front tires.

So we are replacing the set again.

I wonder whether this is typical. Due to the covid situation, we did have a lot of local miles put on the tires recently, I guess that might contribute to the wear. Also I checked the suspension setting, and found the height was to "always" low. I'm changing to only lowing it at 55+ mph, not sure whether that's going to helpl.

My OEM Continentals were 6/32 all around at 33,000. Until I destroyed one of them by hitting a brick. I should have easily been able to get to 40,000. I run in low all the time. My car has been aligned three times. Once in warranty just after delivery, and twice more with two half shafts replacement. Wheel alignment is critical, both for energy efficiency and tire life.

Upvote 0
19"? AFAIK, 20" has always been standard for the X, are you on the winter wheel set, running aftermarket rims, or is that just a typo? If 19", are they UHP tires with a low mileage rating to begin with (like most people are running), or are they something like touring tires that have a higher rated mileage to begin with?
Typo. 20” stock Continentals.

Upvote 0
I don't know how you all got so many miles on your stock Continental 20s... Both fronts were down to the ply on the outsides (yes, the steel ply was coming out) at around 13k miles... The rears were worn down, but, still had a tiny bit of tread left... Finally had my tires replaced a month ago at 16k (and now running a square setup with 275s all the way around, and NOT Continental)...

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
My '21 is wearing the fronts significantly faster than the rears. The rears are wearing pretty evenly, and still have just under 7/32" on them after 11,000 miles. I was led to believe these were the ones to watch because of the camber built into the rear suspension especially on Low, but they're doing pretty ok considering the OEM Conti tire's many, many design compromises. The fronts are getting pretty worn on the insides. I plan to change them before the winter gets nasty, by which time I'll probably have about 15,000 on them. I guess the question will be "am I keeping this thing long enough to go to buy a second set of wheels and go to 19's?"

I am A) hard on tires and B) not inclined to drive around on worn-out tires. I replace earlier than most.

Anecdotally the Raven cars seem to wear the fronts more than the older ones. This makes sense because that front motor is doing a lot more of the daily work. And the frontend seems pretty traction-limited when accelerating hard. At high SoC in Very Low, the car even breaks the front tires loose from a 35mph roll briefly on polished asphalt, and I assume the front motor is also doing most of the regen, plus all the steering...yeah

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mxnym
Upvote 0
I don't know how you all got so many miles on your stock Continental 20s... Both fronts were down to the ply on the outsides (yes, the steel ply was coming out) at around 13k miles... The rears were worn down, but, still had a tiny bit of tread left... Finally had my tires replaced a month ago at 16k (and now running a square setup with 275s all the way around, and NOT Continental)...
Wheel alignment is super critical. Did you get an alignment with your new tires?

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym
Upvote 0
Well that is why you are eating tires. It Also makes a big difference in energy consumption
Would have been nice if Tesla had done that before delivery.... But, I'm guessing they don't bother. My other cars have all had their original first set OEMs last forever, but, yup, this X, 13k miles and they were shot. I blame my speed on roundabouts and freeway offramps, but, maybe the alignment is something to be carefully examined..

Also possible things went out when they replaced the half shafts for the shudder problem.

Upvote 0
Would have been nice if Tesla had done that before delivery.... But, I'm guessing they don't bother. My other cars have all had their original first set OEMs last forever, but, yup, this X, 13k miles and they were shot. I blame my speed on roundabouts and freeway offramps, but, maybe the alignment is something to be carefully examined..

Also possible things went out when they replaced the half shafts for the shudder problem.
Nice maybe, but probably not worth it. If 90% of the cars are "within spec" upon delivery, it is a waste of their resources (mainly time) to get every single car on the alignment rack. When I got mine, within a few days, I determined it was not right. Thus the warranty alignment.

Upvote 0