Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much model x range lost overnight if unplugged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model X 60D owner , formerly Leaf owner and didn't have this issue.

I had about 16 miles of range last night, more than enough to drive to charger I thought. Go to car this morning 12 hours later and all of sudden 1 mile of range only.

About 40-50 degrees California weather last night no snow. Read in some other threads from 2012 that model s loses 8 miles of range at night.

Any updated info on how much does unplugged Model X lose per night in cold weather? Does hardware 2.0 make difference? Anything to turn off to lower this effect (I didn't check my car via mobile app last night though is always connected).

I do wonder if I had checked one hour later would the car be compleyely drained at 0%? Or instead there was some safeguard to stop from draining more and leave at 1 mile minimum, if so would the drain have been much more than 15 miles overnight?

If you read the manual it suggests always having your car plugged in when not in use. This way any energy needs are provided by the plug, not the battery. A large part of energy use when parked in very cold, or very hot weather, is keeping the battery heated in cold weather, or cooled in hot weather. So the energy used overnight will depend on the ambient temperature.

This is a serious concern for me. I have a Leaf right now and it loses no charge overnight. I also don't have a dedicated socket as I live in an apartment building and have shared use of a pay-per-time charging spot. It's literally impossible for me to leave my car plugged in for more than about 12 hours. Didn't know tesla had this issue

I have a 60D and I charged it to 90% overnight. I usually get 89% when I get in the car during the day.

I unplugged it this morning and didn't drive it. It's been unplugged for more than 12 hours now and I have 86% left. This is with all power-savings off / always connected on etc.

I go by % I don't go by the rated miles.

I am finding that turning always connected off and energy savings on makes a big difference. I connected teslafi.com so I can track the specifics (I have sleep mode enabled too). During sleep time (when always connected is off it can go to sleep) I am seeing virtually no range loss over an hour time span. Over about 2 hours of idle time (when the car is still connected) I am seeing 1 mile of range loss in that time span. Not apples to apples but letting the car sleep seems far more efficient.

Hi Outie!

So, your car lost 4% in that 12 hour span, with always connected on, right? Have you measured the loss with Always Connevcted off?

Thank you very much

Fury
It's now another 11hrs later and I have 85% left. It was 86% 11 hrs ago ~12am. So it's not very consistent. No I did not test with power savings on/always connected off.

For reference, I have a 2015 P90DX and recently left it at National Airport in Washington DC for ten days. I had preconditioning off but everything else to include always connected on and did not activate power saving mode. The temperature dropped below freezing once or twice but probably averaged around 40 degrees F during that period. I am sure the battery heater probably activated a few times. During this period I lost about 7 miles per day.

• Informative
Reactions: jmcclureXPA
I just went on cruise for 7 days and left My MX at New Orleans cruise terminal. When I came back, it lost about 10% battery. so, average about 1.15% per day. I think, it is an average. Thought about turning it off totally, but wanted to see, what happens in that condition.! I was happy that it didn't lost a whole lot more. I even checked from one of the port in the Caribbean, where I had cell signals available and it did connected and showed me the status of the car.

I've had my X for 50 days and have been tracking range loss overnight for 25 of those days. Parked in a 60 degree F garage, connected to WiFi. Range loss normalized to a full day:

Always connected: Average loss 9 miles per day. Min 3 miles lost, max 24.
Not always connected: Average loss 1 mile per day. Min 0, max 2.

• Informative
Reactions: macd1995
is there a way to restart charging from the app when it says "charging complete" but the car has lost range due to inactivity? The only way I can do it is to drag the slider on the battery to 100% wait for charging to start and the. and then back to 80%.
Is there a better way of doing it?