Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much money do you have in TSLA?

How much money in Tesla?

• <$10,000

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Between $10,000 and $100,000

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Between $100,000 and $1,000,000

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • >10M

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • None of your business

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am puzzled at the open discussion of how much money one has invested in TSLA. I find it in poor taste, unacceptable. I do not discuss such things in real life. I find it does not contribute to investor discussions. It can come across as bragging. The way I view things, many here have more than me, many have less.

Please discuss. What is your view on this and why?

I recall a moderator saying to not disclose such things, spent a few minutes looking, only found AudobonB saying not to talk about how many shares one buys, sells, or holds. Sharing an account balance seems to be of the same ilk?

Are there times outside of the home to openly discuss ones own financial situation with specifics, not generalities?

Thanks.

Mod input desired.
Terms of service does not seem to address this.

Some people are comfortable with talking freely about the size of the penis portfolio, others not so much. Besides upbringing and cultural preferences, those with a smaller P may be shy about it - irrespective of whether that's rational. It may thus be a topic that some are uncomfortable with and therefore I don't bring either one up in a conversation.

Those with a bigger portfolio should also consider that this is a public forum when they share their net worth in combination with information that can reveal their identity or location of their future residence. Moderators and other members have discouraged such posts as this puts the poster and their next of kin at risk.

Last edited:
The specific post that brought this on someone talked about having like 1.8M, but it was not material to the discussion. Simply saying 100% of my net worth is in TSLA would be sufficient. Or I have enough to retire on could serve just as well.

Steven King book on writing described some writing techniques, when to be general. The example I recall is a sports bar. One can tell a narrative of someone going into a sports bar, describe the bar, where the TVs are, how things are layed out, what is where, the noise level, what music is playing. King suggests this is all superfluous, everyone has been to a sports bar and better uses their own imagination automatically filling in all the details.

I don't think there is a good reason to discuss portfolio specific amounts in a public forum. Talking with financial advisors is fine. But generalities can do just as well here, allow others to use their imagination while not bragging or putting off those with less. Investing specifics could be talked about in terms of percentages (what percent is acceptable to allocate to Options?).

Not everything has to serve a purpose, but talking financial specifics seems to offer little or no benefit while potentially turning away others or opening oneself up to malfeasance.

I too do not especially enjoy the posts full of "I'm a teslanaire!" "I was a teslanaire yesterday but I'm not today" "I'm a multi-teslanaire!" "I lost $##M between SP XX and SP YY" "I earned a year's income just today!" and etc. Surely in part because that's not me and all I can gain by reading that is jealousy or regret. But it also doesn't seem to meaningfully add to the discussion.

On the other hand, I sympathize a bit, since I have next to nobody to talk to about my Tesla investment. I don't know anyone who's really a believer... some are always in and out of TSLA, some sold after very impressive gains yet before this year's rise, some were only convinced enough to invest in ARK, some think it was a great run but the TSLA appreciation is over and done with. So this is about the only place I share with the like-minded.

Here are the answers you're craving so much...

Congrats on your 1.8M Thanks, but it was heading to $3m two weeks ago.
Why do you keep talking openly about how much money? It's a Tesla investor forum, if I can't talk about it here, with people in a similar situation to myself then where? As it is, my openness has brought some positive criticism and suggestions from others, which I appreciate
I thought a mod had said to not talk about such things months ago? AudobonB recommended against it, but there's no rule as such
Are you insecure? No, are you?
Do you tell everyone you meet IRL also? I don't understand this question, what's IRL in this context?
Do you really find such things acceptable? What things? Talking about money? Has never bothered me at all, why should it?
If you just want to brag, wouldn't this be better off in a buy an island thread or Teslanaire thread? You think it's bragging? You're wrong. First of all, a lot of people here have a way more money that this, many have a similar about, many aspire to have this amount and will.

I talk about the value of my portfolio in the context of ongoing discussions. Some months ago it was about the gains made from the stupid-cheap LEAPS many of us bought this time last year. Then we had a few days talking about exit prices and early retirement. Now it was expressing solidarity with others who took a big hit with the pull-back over the last couple of weeks.

When I (we) met a couple important milestones in life I only told my father and my spouse. Now, only my spouse. Great, that's you, not me. I don't go telling everyone, but as most people I associate with know I hold a lot of $TSLA (and have continually told me to sell it over the years), doesn't take much to work out the obvious either.

If not apparent by the discussions, I find such things to be in very poor taste, low class, just wrong. I was born working-class, apologies for my father being a mechanic
Otherwise, congrats on the big bulge in your pockets! Jealousy is a terrible thing, let it go

Here are the answers you're craving so much...

your response to the question as to why to talk openly about personal finances might fit the bill as far as it being an answer, but it does not really tell why YOU do. In the specific post your talking about having 1.8 M serves no purpose that I can detect.

I have insecurities.

IRL, in real life. Do you go around telling people in real life that your have 1.8M in TSLA?

Talking about money openly with internet strangers might not bother you, but is it appropriate?

I was not calling you low class, I was describing what I think of the personal disclosure.

I do not think I am jealous.

I've tried searching the internet to come up with more professional opinions or way of expressing. What I come up with:
1. Americans don't talk about money as easily, more open discussions might help folks to achieve what they want. Articles did not suggest talking to everyone or even many people, just talk openly with trusted advisors and family.
2. I was able to find some interesting things with regards to hackers and their ability to target people. I am not interested in any attention. If I were a thief, I'd be willing to put in a lot of effort for some portion of 1.8M.

your response to the question as to why to talk openly about personal finances might fit the bill as far as it being an answer, but it does not really tell why YOU do. In the specific post your talking about having 1.8 M serves no purpose that I can detect.

I have insecurities.

IRL, in real life. Do you go around telling people in real life that your have 1.8M in TSLA?

Talking about money openly with internet strangers might not bother you, but is it appropriate?

I was not calling you low class, I was describing what I think of the personal disclosure.

I do not think I am jealous.

I've tried searching the internet to come up with more professional opinions or way of expressing. What I come up with:
1. Americans don't talk about money as easily, more open discussions might help folks to achieve what they want. Articles did not suggest talking to everyone or even many people, just talk openly with trusted advisors and family.
2. I was able to find some interesting things with regards to hackers and their ability to target people. I am not interested in any attention. If I were a thief, I'd be willing to put in a lot of effort for some portion of 1.8M.

I'm not sure which specific post you're objecting to, but lie I said, I had three cases where I talked about the size of my position recently: retirement, buying a house (and maybe needing to sell), $1.2m loss over a week - which was responding to @Singuy bemoaning there losses over the same period, but getting no empathy from @Artful Dodger

What do you mean by "is it appropriate"? You're projecting you own personal values on to me, but I'm not you.

I've also talked a lot about options gains in the Wheel thread, mostly to share info with the other people that are playing with calls.

I think you need to let this go, you're getting all heated-up over nothing.

I'm not sure which specific post you're objecting to, but lie I said, I had three cases where I talked about the size of my position recently: retirement, buying a house (and maybe needing to sell), $1.2m loss over a week - which was responding to @Singuy bemoaning there losses over the same period, but getting no empathy from @Artful Dodger

What do you mean by "is it appropriate"? You're projecting you own personal values on to me, but I'm not you.

I've also talked a lot about options gains in the Wheel thread, mostly to share info with the other people that are playing with calls.

I think you need to let this go, you're getting all heated-up over nothing.

I do not think I am projecting. I've shared my beliefs, said I don't think others should share specifics.
When I have shared account specifics (years ago) it was my ego talking, my insecurity, my yearning for recognition of prowess.

i can't think of a good reason to share my specifics. I am not interested in establishing myself as some authority, don't think I have an ego need. I want to remain unattractive as a target. I am not setting up an advisory service.

The statement "my entire net worth is in TSLA" is sufficient. I asked why adding "my net worth is 1.8M" to the statement was done? Why disclose this? What does it do for you as the writer or me/us as the audience? Is the disclosure and the reasoning appropriate? Everyone can already picture for themselves what entire net worth is.

I am puzzled at the open discussion of how much money one has invested in TSLA. I find it in poor taste, unacceptable. I do not discuss such things in real life. I find it does not contribute to investor discussions. It can come across as bragging. The way I view things, many here have more than me, many have less.

I recall a moderator saying to not disclose such things, spent a few minutes looking, only found AudobonB saying not to talk about how many shares one buys, sells, or holds. Sharing an account balance seems to be of the same ilk?

Are there times outside of the home to openly discuss ones own financial situation with specifics, not generalities?

Thanks.

Mod input desired.
Speaking personally, I would see it as bragging and I try not to do that... which is actually bragging itself. On the other hand, many have reported having personal relationships damaged by revealing how much money they have (I have had that experience) and maybe they feel that here (in the TMC investor's forum) is a safe and friendly place. So I have no problem with others doing it. I only talk about my own trades when I think there's information to impart.

Speaking as ex-mod, no, there are no guidelines either way, and @AudubonB only expressed his personal opinion, not speaking ex-officio.

I think we have a mixed bag here of anonymous posters and those who are not. Most of us are fairly anonymous so we're going to be more likely to talk openly about how much we have or how much we made (or lost). Participants here who are not anonymous are probably much less likely to talk openly about these things.

Another aspect is the shear excitement over the last 6 months. When the stock price goes from 300 to 2300 in a very short time, it makes people giddy with excitement and and puts them in a different frame of mind. More likely to talk openly about things they wouldn't otherwise talk about. We spent a long time range bound between $200 and $400 (pre split). Now I think we are going to find ourselves once again range bound for a year or more and our posting etiquette will probably return to normal.

Reactions: juanmedina
The specific post that brought this on someone talked about having like 1.8M, but it was not material to the discussion. Simply saying 100% of my net worth is in TSLA would be sufficient. Or I have enough to retire on could serve just as well.

Steven King book on writing described some writing techniques, when to be general. The example I recall is a sports bar. One can tell a narrative of someone going into a sports bar, describe the bar, where the TVs are, how things are layed out, what is where, the noise level, what music is playing. King suggests this is all superfluous, everyone has been to a sports bar and better uses their own imagination automatically filling in all the details.

I don't think there is a good reason to discuss portfolio specific amounts in a public forum. Talking with financial advisors is fine. But generalities can do just as well here, allow others to use their imagination while not bragging or putting off those with less. Investing specifics could be talked about in terms of percentages (what percent is acceptable to allocate to Options?).

Not everything has to serve a purpose, but talking financial specifics seems to offer little or no benefit while potentially turning away others or opening oneself up to malfeasance.

The way that the discussion started it was by him expressing how he felt when his portfolio when down by a life changing amount of money and was just giving us the value as reference. I didn't find his post tasteless but actually comforting because I felt the same that day.

It feels to me that the forum is on edge right now probably because most of us are down considerably amount from when the stock was in the $500s but a lot of members are letting their emotions show in a negative way.

• Informative
Reactions: mrmage
Another way I think of this comes from many years of hard fought gains and losses, leading and following.

A friend of mine is considering putting $500 into TSLA. If this friend were to turn to the forum for investing advice, seeing discussions about 1.8M portfolio could bring him to follow lycanthrope, without having lived through whatever trials and tribulations they have lived through. They can seem to be an authority, by gosh they have a lot of money. But if they follow someone that started with 8M, gambled on options, now have much less, they can still seem to be an authority without full disclosure of background (to be clear, I am not saying this is what lyca has done). So newbie trader enters a trade, takes on undue risk, loses money, hates TSLA and TMC, never comes back. Discussions need to be about the trades, the performance. Details yes, specific total dollar amounts in profit or account size no. On a 10% up or down day, everyone feels the same, understands, without saying I gained or lost 100K today. It would allow those with small balances to have a better stake in discussions, and perhaps allow larger account holders to participate also. What if there were someone here with 10X Lycas account, feel like they are not in the right place because of account size?

Paydirt, showing 11M or whatever in profits, isn't that the kind of risky stuff that gets the tiktok reddit wall streetbets crowd swinging for the fences taking on risk? If Paydirt offered value, couldn't the whole discussion and analysis take place without him unzipping and showing the world what he was working with?

In a trading forum, if one wants to show account size, one really needs an easily identified trading history or resume. Nobody does that.

Even though I have no desire to participate, peeking at the results provides a moment of cheap thrills, like reading Dear Prudence or TIFU.

Percent of net worth and age are far more interesting. Knowing only the dollar amount yields little insight. It’s like saying TSLA went up $100 without knowing its price.

Another way I think of this comes from many years of hard fought gains and losses, leading and following.

A friend of mine is considering putting $500 into TSLA. If this friend were to turn to the forum for investing advice, seeing discussions about 1.8M portfolio could bring him to follow lycanthrope, without having lived through whatever trials and tribulations they have lived through. They can seem to be an authority, by gosh they have a lot of money. But if they follow someone that started with 8M, gambled on options, now have much less, they can still seem to be an authority without full disclosure of background (to be clear, I am not saying this is what lyca has done). So newbie trader enters a trade, takes on undue risk, loses money, hates TSLA and TMC, never comes back. Discussions need to be about the trades, the performance. Details yes, specific total dollar amounts in profit or account size no. On a 10% up or down day, everyone feels the same, understands, without saying I gained or lost 100K today. It would allow those with small balances to have a better stake in discussions, and perhaps allow larger account holders to participate also. What if there were someone here with 10X Lycas account, feel like they are not in the right place because of account size?

Paydirt, showing 11M or whatever in profits, isn't that the kind of risky stuff that gets the tiktok reddit wall streetbets crowd swinging for the fences taking on risk? If Paydirt offered value, couldn't the whole discussion and analysis take place without him unzipping and showing the world what he was working with?

In a trading forum, if one wants to show account size, one really needs an easily identified trading history or resume. Nobody does that.

Very true, context is everything.

Last edited:
1. Americans don't talk about money as easily, more open discussions might help folks to achieve what they want. Articles did not suggest talking to everyone or even many people, just talk openly with trusted advisors and family

Fundamentally I think this point is the core issue here. Americans (I would also say Canadians) have been brought up to not discuss finances. There’s a constant mentality of keeping up with the jones’ at any cost (often with families taking on crippling multi generational debt). That and there’s a massive gap of financial literacy in North America. I’m always shocked when coworkers well in to their 40s, earning six figures, are still paying off student debt (at high interest rates).

End of the day, some cultures and people are more than comfortable sharing this information. Much like millennials are much more likely to share what their salaries and finances are than Gen X or Boomers were/are. All a symptom of people now being more comfortable to ask “how can so and so afford that” especially in the context of housing affordability. Millennials being told “when your parent were your age they saved enough to buy a home in a great neighborhood” has led to a much more deliberate and transparent discussion around what is even financially possible in our current decade. Discussing investments and portfolio sizes is part of that dynamic.

Thanks.

Mod input desired.

If people want to share, this is absolutely none of YOUR buisness..imho.

Feel free to think its poor taste, but to go ahead and deem it unacceptable - that is rather.. wow..
I am very happy your are not one of our mods.

One reason I have stayed strong HODL for 10 years, is just because lots of people have shared and shown it is possible to make real life changing money by staying strong..and they have stayed strong through ups and 30-50% downs..and told about how the paperloss scares the *sugar* out of them.

I might have cashed out years ago.. if not for this sharing, that you dislike so much.

Edit: I am not a teslanair yet - but very very close. And I do plan to tell when I cross that line.
Edit2: I have been a TMC member since 2013, and live and breath TMC...

Last edited:
Stating ones account size is
If people want to share, this is absolutely none of YOUR buisness..imho.

Feel free to think its poor taste, but to go ahead and deem it unacceptable - that is rather.. wow..
I am very happy your are not one of our mods.

One reason I have stayed strong HODL for 10 years, is just because lots of people have shared and shown it is possible to make real life changing money by staying strong..and they have stayed strong through ups and 30-50% downs..and told about how the paperloss scares the *sugar* out of them.

I might have cashed out years ago.. if not for this sharing, that you dislike so much.

Edit: I am not a teslanair yet - but very very close. And I do plan to tell when I cross that line.
Edit2: I have been a TMC member since 2013, and live and breath TMC...

Thanks for the passionate response.
Now, why is it acceptable or pertinent with regards to specific account size? The benefits of HODL through 50% retracements can be known, shared, encouraged absent of specific account size. Sharing that one is sitting thru retracements can console regardless of the size of the wad. Did others sharing their size really do these things for you or was it the overwhelming belief in TSLA and the ecar future?

Ok, so you disagree with me. Do you disagree with my reasons?
1. Size not pertinent. Investment performance is, regardless of size or starting point.
2. Size can silence those with less or more.
3. Size can attribute success without showing track record.
4. Showing ones size can encourage those with less wisdom to take on more risk than they should.

What I said back in March was, paraphrased, that it is moronic and dangerous to discuss in open forum such information, and this is an open forum.

In times when this forum proceeded with more comity, I not infrequently would obscure posters’ release of sensitive information, notifying them and giving them time to reflect on whether they indeed wished to make public such material. I believe not one poster ever requested the re-release of same. A significant diminution in civility has not unsurprisingly diminished my own inclination to be so avuncular - in other words, to a far greater extent - you’re on your own.

Remember, though, what they say about the ties between a fool and his money.

My assumption* for online survey results is for every 1 vote there are 10 who didn’t bother voting. So that’s about 150 Teslanaires on the forum at the time of this post. Maybe too low?

*based on my completely unscientific theory but enlightenment by 20+ years of (digital) marketing experience.

What I said back in March was, paraphrased, that it is moronic and dangerous to discuss in open forum such information, and this is an open forum.

In times when this forum proceeded with more comity, I not infrequently would obscure posters’ release of sensitive information, notifying them and giving them time to reflect on whether they indeed wished to make public such material. I believe not one poster ever requested the re-release of same. A significant diminution in civility has not unsurprisingly diminished my own inclination to be so avuncular - in other words, to a far greater extent - you’re on your own.

Remember, though, what they say about the ties between a fool and his money.
Audubon,
Can you start an ‘Audubon word of the day’thread, so my vocabulary might increase in synchronicity with my investing prowess?