Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much money do you have in TSLA?

How much money in Tesla?

• <$10,000

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Between $10,000 and $100,000

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Between $100,000 and $1,000,000

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • >10M

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • None of your business

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well..........I'm a tad confused on the question, per se. Was the question actually "How much money did you invest in Tesla initially?" Or was the question "How much is your Tesla stock worth now?"

Bill, the discussion came about as a result of folks posting how much money they had and/or how much TSLA they owned. I dont really care how much money you or other people have in the stock, my answer was none of your business. I am surprised how many people vote in a poll but seem to not really disclose their positions in posts.

BTW, yeah 2K!

Bill, the discussion came about as a result of folks posting how much money they had and/or how much TSLA they owned. I dont really care how much money you or other people have in the stock, my answer was none of your business. I am surprised how many people vote in a poll but seem to not really disclose their positions in posts.

BTW, yeah 2K!
Well, you know that a lot of people build decks on their houses? Either in the back, or front, or even surrounding their entire house? I thought that's what this was about? You know, my decks bigger than your deck?

I am puzzled at the open discussion of how much money one has invested in TSLA. I find it in poor taste, unacceptable. I do not discuss such things in real life. I find it does not contribute to investor discussions. It can come across as bragging. The way I view things, many here have more than me, many have less.

Please discuss. What is your view on this and why?

I recall a moderator saying to not disclose such things, spent a few minutes looking, only found AudobonB saying not to talk about how many shares one buys, sells, or holds. Sharing an account balance seems to be of the same ilk?

Are there times outside of the home to openly discuss ones own financial situation with specifics, not generalities?

Thanks.

Mod input desired.
Terms of service does not seem to address this.

My own view - I like hearing about the decisions people make around the stock, including the trades they are making and why. For the trades themselves, the size of the trade is irrelevant to me - we are all where we are. I can't learn from knowing the size of somebody's portfolio, but I CAN learn from the trades a person is making if they also explain what they're looking at and how that leads to the specific trade.

Doesn't mean I'll go off and replicate the trade.

What's valuable about that info is it's not just a view on the company that person has - it's a strongly held enough belief / position that the person is putting money behind that. If there were % portfolio type of information, that normalizes across any size of portfolio, and provides an additional indicator of how seriously that person takes the information and trade. And yet it is also misleading - a 5% portfolio trade is huge for something with 10% in TSLA, and relatively trivial for somebody with 100% in TSLA. And it can be hard to calculate - what % of a portfolio is a call option anyway?

But the core point / question about actual size of portfolio - I'm ok with discussing such things, but I don't find the actual size all that helpful to me (I don't learn anything from it). This has also become a (rarely used) criteria for me to add to my ignore list, but that's just me.

It has also been my experience, hanging around with Tesla owners since 2012, that there is always somebody who is better off than oneself, and others that are less well off. I've also learned that for all of us, there is a threshold where below that, the $ amount is noise. It might be $2 for a pack of gum, and it might be $1000 (just not worth the time below $1k to do much research to figure out the best / cheapest). Whatever that threshold is, it is. And hanging around Tesla owners, I've discovered that there are people in the world for whom $100k is their noise level. I've known that intellectually all my life - being around Tesla owners has made this significantly more real to me.

Anyway, we are all off us well off, even those that stretch bigly to buy a Tesla. And yet like you, I find portfolio size to be useless space filler - but individual trades, positions, and why; that stuff is very useful.

My own view - I like hearing about the decisions people make around the stock, including the trades they are making and why. For the trades themselves, the size of the trade is irrelevant to me - we are all where we are. I can't learn from knowing the size of somebody's portfolio, but I CAN learn from the trades a person is making if they also explain what they're looking at and how that leads to the specific trade.

Doesn't mean I'll go off and replicate the trade.

What's valuable about that info is it's not just a view on the company that person has - it's a strongly held enough belief / position that the person is putting money behind that. If there were % portfolio type of information, that normalizes across any size of portfolio, and provides an additional indicator of how seriously that person takes the information and trade. And yet it is also misleading - a 5% portfolio trade is huge for something with 10% in TSLA, and relatively trivial for somebody with 100% in TSLA. And it can be hard to calculate - what % of a portfolio is a call option anyway?

But the core point / question about actual size of portfolio - I'm ok with discussing such things, but I don't find the actual size all that helpful to me (I don't learn anything from it). This has also become a (rarely used) criteria for me to add to my ignore list, but that's just me.

It has also been my experience, hanging around with Tesla owners since 2012, that there is always somebody who is better off than oneself, and others that are less well off. I've also learned that for all of us, there is a threshold where below that, the $ amount is noise. It might be $2 for a pack of gum, and it might be $1000 (just not worth the time below $1k to do much research to figure out the best / cheapest). Whatever that threshold is, it is. And hanging around Tesla owners, I've discovered that there are people in the world for whom $100k is their noise level. I've known that intellectually all my life - being around Tesla owners has made this significantly more real to me.

Anyway, we are all off us well off, even those that stretch bigly to buy a Tesla. And yet like you, I find portfolio size to be useless space filler - but individual trades, positions, and why; that stuff is very useful.
Thank you.
I wish more people, especially those that disclose or disagree with me would discuss more. Perhaps I was a little sharp calling out or directing this at one person when many do it. I think like 30 or more people gave negative rating to the post yet they don’t seem to discuss.

I don’t think I ignore anyone but someone that shares $ specifics raises my warning or BS detectors.

Reactions: adiggs
My 2cents:

- my personal opinion is that I don't share account value online with strangers. It's the same reason I won't share my name, adress or age. Sharing information like that online has no benefits that I can think of, only possible downsides (for example identity theft).

- if others want to share personal information online, that is entirely their choice so I'm not "against" it. I just don't think it is wise. Also I don't see the point. I feel as connected to fellow Tesla bulls by talking about general investment strategy and how much we love the company, even if we know nothing of each others wealth or lack thereof.

- like @adiggs and @MABMAB I am more interested in % increases of someone's portfolio, or how much % of their holding consists of TSLA. Also, the trades/investments that are made (in general terms) are interesting, but not the monetary value of those trades. (The % of portfolio size however is very important).

We'll never truly know if the Twitter account Option Sniper (@option_snipper I believe it was) was a fraud or not, that guy posted live trades and gave very good insight on how to manage risk whilst day trading weekly options by referring to % off portfolio size. And how to allocate gains and such. It's the same info I like to read on TMC (for example in the thread "trading").

There, had to get this off my chest.

Cheers to all longs, big or small!

Reactions: Cape Coddess