Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much more did you spend on your Model S than you would have on your next car?

How much more did you spend on your Model S than you would have on your next car?

• $0 - $10k

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • $11k - $20k

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • $21k - $30k

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • $31k - $40k

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • $41k - $50k

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • $51k - $60k

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • $61k - $70k

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • $71k - $80k

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • More than $80k

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The Model S was cheaper than my next car

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know the Tesla is amazing and it is pretty easy to justify spending more for the performance, safety, technology, environmental factors, [add your own reason]...

Approximately how much more or less did you spend on your Tesla Model S than you would have on your next car? To keep it simple, please use total cost without tax or rebates.

Also, please only complete this poll if you have already purchased or reserved a Model S.

25k.

What I didn't appreciate is how much more time I'd be spending on this quest. There's no way i would've spent this amount of time on another car. I'm not complaining. Most days, I retain my tesla grin during forum time!

There is no next car. I was waiting for a 2014 Corvette Convertible, but spent more on my P85+. I don't have the exact pricing on the 2014 convertible as you can only order a coupe. I am guessing I paid about $30k more than the convertible.

I answered, though it's misleading, since I discovered the Model S before I got to the point of needing to replace my car. ;-) So . . . $0, in a way? But I answered $41-50K. But who knows; I'm not sure what I'd've bought or how much cars even cost these days.

It's hard to say. I spent $40-50k more than I had on my previous car. But since I waited almost 4 years to get my Model S after placing my order I'm not sure exactly what I would have gotten if not the S. I was determined to have a plug-in of some sort and the Volt was the closest thing to what I thought was acceptable (around $40k car), but I wouldn't have purchased that b/c it only seats 4 and I had to have seating for 5.

Maybe I'd have gotten a Leaf and kept my Prius for a travel vehicle, or maybe a Plug-in Prius (also around $40k) and totally replaced my 2nd Gen Prius. But the bottom line is I wanted a "real" EV and when the Model S was announced starting at $50k, the decision was made.

I'm in the $40k to $50k majority as well. My "mental limit" for a car is normally somewhere around $60k. I've been driving soulless kid transporters for the last 14 years and had really thought I'd lost my passion for cars. I really didn't care much what I got next. Probably just get the same thing I have now. Then I saw the Tesla for the first time and all that changed. First car I've really wanted in a very, very long time. Would I have liked to get it for $20k less? Sure. But it's for a good cause so... what the hell.

As per another post, I too got my S before my 'usual & customary' replacement cycle. My wife & I have historically bought high end Lexus vehicles new and drove them for 8-10 years. I sold a 4-1/2 year old GS450h with 80k miles when I got my S, and spent about $25k more that I would have planned to spend at 10 years on a new Lexus. My wife is driving a 2011 LS460 with 3 more years on the lease. Will likely replace with an X at that time.

I'm in the $40k to $50k majority as well. My "mental limit" for a car is normally somewhere around $60k. I've been driving soulless kid transporters for the last 14 years and had really thought I'd lost my passion for cars. I really didn't care much what I got next. Probably just get the same thing I have now. Then I saw the Tesla for the first time and all that changed. First car I've really wanted in a very, very long time. Would I have liked to get it for $20k less? Sure. But it's for a good cause so... what the hell.

I'm with you $50 is my normal cut off but now that Elon has changed the world forever I have no choice lol

I was looking at Mid-Size luxury sedans (E350, A6, 5 Series) and my target was to keep them around 60k. Once I figured out about the MS I blew my budget completely out of the water. I was going to buy my next car cash and that obviously wasn't going to apply to the MS so I just financed the balance :( I love the car though and wouldn't trade it for the world.