Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much more would you pay for a driver instrument cluster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the OP that Elon is likely to be surprised at how important an instrument cluster is to a lot of people.

A car without a dedicated instrument cluster feels like a cheap cost-cutting measure to me. Tesla is an aspirational brand and should not be taking a risk like this that will undermine this perception, especially on their most important car to date. I think that a very high percentage of Model 3 buyers would opt for an instrument cluster if it were offered as a $500-$1K option.

I am going to wait for the final reveal before deciding whether to keep my Model S or to go with a Model 3, but I am not holding my breath on this - Elon's recent tweets have been very clear - no display and no HUD. The only strand of hope left is the "It feels like a spaceship" comment from a year ago. Fingers are crossed...

Agree, Don't under estimate the ability for people to adapt to change.
We've known for a long time there would be no HUD so I'm anxious and looking forward to see what Tesla has designed.
I think we've seen what tesla has designed. An ipad and that's all you get. These new test cars are being built on the production line aren't they? Therefore production cars will have an ipad like these first run models. He's not going to rebuild the production line at this point.
And a gas engine and maybe just the small 12v battery rather than the freakishly large one underneath the car...
Again, I dont understand the assumption that because tesla customers think ICE engines are outdated, that that means they think traditional control surfaces should be abandoned too.

$0

It'll probably be fine, but I'll reserve final judgement for when I eventually sit in a Model 3. I generally like the interface of my Model S and I can think of ways for a single screen setup to work, so I'm not particularly concerned at this point.

I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $45K on a car, I shouldn't have to count on aftermarket accessories, to make the interior right. I can spend $45K on a loaded Acura TLX and get a gorgeous car inside & out that will last me 15 years.

But your TLX might be obsolete in 3 years. Actually, might be obsolete in 9 months. 2018 is going to change a lot of things. Not sure what the cheapest Caddy will be with semi-autonomy, nor what the M3 will run with semi-autonomy, but Honda isn't setting records.

BTW - I'd never buy a TLX that did not come with a full tank of fuel each morning. That's tech from 8 years ago. How the HELL can a car be considered 'luxury' if you must drive somewhere and pump foul smelling fuel into it? How freakin' primitive! Do you have to hand crank the engine also? Are the headlights electric? Do you have to run it awhile before the engine and heater work as they are supposed to in the literature?

Last edited:
Reactions: ssrajputev
I'd be happy if the instrument cluster was as readable as it was in earlier releases, and that it wasn't dumbed down like it is in the AP cars. Why should "modern" equal "barely usable and invisible on a sunny day"?

Reactions: Model 3
For me the center ipad IN YOUR FACE all the time might be a deal breaker. If it's really about cost cutting, I'd happily pay $1000 more for a normal driver cluster and to get that floating ipad out of my face. I might pay $2000 more to add some AC and volume knobs, regular door lock buttons and stuff like that. I think musk is going to lose more customers than he realizes over his one-big-touchscreen-is-all-you-need nonsense.

I signed up for a good looking car with a revolutionary powertrain. I think musk is misreading his customers, assuming if they're willing to try an electric car, then they must be willing to try anything, like a car without any info in front of the driver.

Good news, you can have everything that you are looking for in the Bolt. Of course you have to give up a little but it is still a great car. If you pay attention to how many times you look at the speedometer vs the radio/nav you might be surprised. I didn't realize that the center might be a better spot, especially with the colored background indicators.

Again, I dont understand the assumption that because tesla customers think ICE engines are outdated, that that means they think traditional control surfaces should be abandoned too.

No one says that all traditional control surfaces should be abandoned. Just those in a Tesla, cause otherwise it would be a bolt with better charging infrastructure.

No car is perfect for everyone.

I would pay $5k for a proper interior. I wish Musk had thought a little harder and pitched this car at a $40k price way back when. $39,999 has a nice ring to it and still keeps it in the 30s.

If $35k means pinching so many pennies that we have to remove the dashboard, the car is too cheap.

Agree.

You hit on a point that drives me nuts about marketing people :eek: Decades ago when you could still buy something for $10 at a store, then $9.95 was a half percent cheaper and MAYBE sounded better, but it means nothing to chop $1 off of a $40,000 product in hopes to trick me into thinking it really isn't $40,000. Every time someone quotes me a price in the store or on the phone such as "it's just $99.99". I tell them... "So it is a hundred dollars. If you think I'm dumb and suckered by the penny savings on $100, then you are the dumb one, not me." :D

I wonder when the millennial generation of marketers will start advertising a car price as "JUST $99,999.99 !!!

When I get my Model 3 I want my co-workers to start salivating over it, I want them to ask me questions on how they can get in line and get one too. I want to send them to review sites that call the model 3 amazing and the car of the year. I don't want to have to defend why there isn't an info cluster, or why it looks like IKEA got the interior design contract. I don't want to hear from all the mainstream review sites out there about how it's weird there's no instrument cluster on this thing.

I sure don't want to catch an episode of Grand Tour next year where Jeremy Clarkson dings the car for a crappy interior, no useful driver info and how it's a good car DESPITE all the missing stuff. I want him to gush over every aspect of the car.

I'm not saying all my fears will come true, we haven't seen the inside- but yeah I'd pay extra for a decent interior, including some driver side info cluster. I hope there's some sort of meaningful interior upgrade that's option.

When I get my Model 3 I want my co-workers to start salivating over it, I want them to ask me questions on how they can get in line and get one too. I want to send them to review sites that call the model 3 amazing and the car of the year. I don't want to have to defend why there isn't an info cluster, or why it looks like IKEA got the interior design contract. I don't want to hear from all the mainstream review sites out there about how it's weird there's no instrument cluster on this thing.

I sure don't want to catch an episode of Grand Tour next year where Jeremy Clarkson dings the car for a crappy interior, no useful driver info and how it's a good car DESPITE all the missing stuff. I want him to gush over every aspect of the car.

I'm not saying all my fears will come true, we haven't seen the inside- but yeah I'd pay extra for a decent interior, including some driver side info cluster. I hope there's some sort of meaningful interior upgrade that's option.
Meh. People complained when floppy/cd drives went away and then again now as headphone jacks disappear. This is a routine thing that the tech world has had to challenge and I think the simplified interior is the right way to go even if it takes people a while to adjust.

I'm waiting for the removal of side mirrors in lieu of a camera based solution. That will be a nice change and improve the highway range.

Reactions: SpiceWare

Can't the same fears be said when some cars eliminated such "normal" things as manual/standard transmissions, spare tires, front grilles, tailfins, wing vents, front bench seats, 8-track/cassette/CD decks, some physical/mechanical buttons in favor of touchscreens, or even gasoline engines? Yet, people are not running away from such vehicles in droves.

Sure, there will be some resistance and griping initially from some people who don't like anything that's different from what they're accustomed to. But sometimes you have to lead people rather than just follow the status quo if you want to effect any change. Is there risk associated with change? Sure, but there's also risk in NOT changing. If you don't take risks, you'll never improve. Time will tell if this particular design change will be accepted and succeed or not. If the vast majority of the Model 3 reservations convert to sales and new orders continue to come in at a rapid rate, its interior and user interface will become the new norm. If it flops, then Tesla will have to modify their interior/UI accordingly.

Anyone who can't accept what's shown after the final reveal or are concerned about what others might think of their future car should consider canceling their current reservation. No one should feel "forced" into buying something they don't like or about which they have to feel apologetic.