Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much more would you pay for a driver instrument cluster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the center ipad IN YOUR FACE all the time might be a deal breaker. If it's really about cost cutting, I'd happily pay $1000 more for a normal driver cluster and to get that floating ipad out of my face. I might pay $2000 more to add some AC and volume knobs, regular door lock buttons and stuff like that. I think musk is going to lose more customers than he realizes over his one-big-touchscreen-is-all-you-need nonsense.

I signed up for a good looking car with a revolutionary powertrain. I think musk is misreading his customers, assuming if they're willing to try an electric car, then they must be willing to try anything, like a car without any info in front of the driver.

Last edited:
It's not in your face, for crying out loud, it's in the middle of the car. And Tesla has taken the clear position for at least five years now that physical A/C and volume knobs are not made available: you control most of the car from the steering-wheel buttons and the touchscreen. You can argue about losing customers whenever Tesla needs to advertise or has production slack: at this point, despite five years of sales and increasing production capacity, Tesla sales are still constrained by manufacturing capacity.

Certainly a Tesla today is not for everyone: my wife, for example, preferred to have those physical buttons and chose a Cayenne over a Model X. But that's not affecting Tesla's financial well-being at this point: there's more than enough demand for their cars. It simply sounds like you don't like the Tesla user interface, and that's entirely OK... know thyself, and buy the car that makes you happy.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Some will hate it.
Some will like it.
Some won't care.
Some can buy a GPS and display speed wherever they position that GPS unit.

Agree we can all wait to see the final product. Maybe '....it will be a moo point. You know, a cow's opinion....' (Joey)
Thing is, you can eliminate points 1 and 4 by just putting a damn instrument cluster in there. You're not turning anybody off by including that. You are however alienating people. Removing the cluster is a lose-lose situation. Nobody ever said, "What? There's an instrument readout on the dash? Total dealbreaker!" There are no upsides when it comes to marketing and selling a car without a cluster. It just doesn't make sense.

Not to fear.

With the large volumes of M3s likely to be sold, there should an large accessory aftermarket for all kinds of stuff. Many of these products will likely address perceived or real "shortcomings" with the M3.

With the OBD2 connector and modern GPS, there's a lot that can be put in front of the driver (including a HUD).

I would pay $5k for a proper interior. I wish Musk had thought a little harder and pitched this car at a $40k price way back when. $39,999 has a nice ring to it and still keeps it in the 30s.

If $35k means pinching so many pennies that we have to remove the dashboard, the car is too cheap.

I got a guy in TJ, goes by Pepe, who will throw a mean velvet tuck-n-roll in yours for cheap. And faux leopard dashes for the most discriminating of customers.

Not to fear.

With the large volumes of M3s likely to be sold, there should an large accessory aftermarket for all kinds of stuff. Many of these products will likely address perceived or real "shortcomings" with the M3.

With the OBD2 connector and modern GPS, there's a lot that can be put in front of the driver (including a HUD).
Unless something changes, there is no 'OBD2' connector (at least with data). The current ones are just power and ground since that is all that is legally required. Go figure. :)

Not to fear.

I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $45K on a car, I shouldn't have to count on aftermarket accessories, to make the interior right. I can spend $45K on a loaded Acura TLX and get a gorgeous car inside & out that will last me 15 years.

$0

Until the final design is actually revealed, I see no reason to want to spend extra money for an option that could be simply cosmetic at worst. Even if I end up not liking the final display design, there are plenty of other things I'd rather spend my money on.

I'm sorry, but if I'm spending $45K on a car, I shouldn't have to count on aftermarket accessories, to make the interior right. I can spend $45K on a loaded Acura TLX and get a gorgeous car inside & out that will last me 15 years.

Unless Tesla changes their philosophy from the S & X, I think that you may be disappointed trying to compare the 3 with comparably priced ICE cars in terms of just about everything except technology and performance...and maybe some coolness, "fueling", and environmental benefits.

That's just my opinion based on my experience with the MS...and seeing all of the aftermarket stuff out there...some of it is "remedial".

Reactions: ssrajputev