Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much necessary for a family daily driver?

SGM1980

Oct 28, 2019
USA
I've got a white M3 on the way, and i don't want to do anything stupid to it, but I'm also questioning how much i really HAVE to do.

I park in a garage at home and at work most days (sometimes on the roof level, though!). I live in NC so not much to speak of as far as winters go.

This isn't a show car. It's going to be a commuter and a baby hauler.

Can i really not even go though a car wash without ruining something? I read about swirls and micro scratches and i wonder how much that really matters to the naked eye.

So anyone just use the car as is? Run it through a wash when it's dirty. Not spend thousands on wraps and protective coatings?

vletnguyen

Nov 20, 2016
FL/MN
touchless is fine. the swirls etc are from dirty brushes left from other cars (or yours) and smeared on your paint. That happens with every car. Some people dont care , some do. I recommend touchless , might not be as clean but no risk.

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
So anyone just use the car as is? Run it through a wash when it's dirty. Not spend thousands on wraps and protective coatings?
Yes that's basically my case. I park in a garage, so that's also help. For someone parking in the street, this might be different.
I found those wraps to be quite expensive, but they might be worthwhile, it's just up to you.
I only put some door edges protections and side molding to avoid getting some scratches and dings when parked next to other cars.
I put also some sill guard film in various door locations which could get some scratches from feet or fingers, and above bumpers edges.
Otherwise you should get some floor mats and trunk liner, and may be some seat covers.
I'm not too much into detailling, but I would recommend at least once to clean the inside of the windshild,
as I noticed some marks from the robot suction holder and it was a little bit greasy.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC