TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How much of a depreciation hit do you take if you sell a very high mileage Roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by John W. Ratcliff, Jun 16, 2016.

1. John W. Ratcliff

I guess we have a possible answer.

Someone just sold a Tesla Roadster Sport with over 76,000 miles on it!

The answer..apparently...$47,700.

So, put that in your pipe and smoke it. Drive the crap out of your Roadster, run it into the ground, and that appears to be the price floor.

Tesla: Roadster Sport

2. gregd

gregd Member

Lots of things can affect resale value, and it's only one data point. This one looks like it's seen a bit of physical use too, judging by the pictures. So, that was probably a fair price (though maybe a little bit low) from what he/she is showing, and given that you can find cars cosmetically a lot cleaner with as good of a battery.

Personally, I'm less fussy about the odometer's mileage, vs how hard those miles were earned.

3. shrink

shrink Member

Reserve was not met in that auction, so it did not sell at that price.

4. gregd

gregd Member

Good catch. I was guessing it should go in the mid-$50's, so $47 would have been a bit low. But there would also be the eBay discount...

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Even if it sold at 47k that's less depreciation than is common for most high-end sports cars with that amount of mileage and age.

6. John W. Ratcliff

Doh, I didn't realize it didn't reach the reserve. Still, it did get a bid that high which I thought was decent.

If I can drive the piss out of my Roadster and still get nearly 50k, I could live with that.

7. jerry505

jerry505 Member

Part of the depreciation of higher mileage is due to battery degradation as Roadsters do not have the same 8-year engine and battery unlimited miles warranty?

Also, replacing a Roadster battery is expensive.

Are prices still depreciating or have they swung up yet?

8. John W. Ratcliff

>Are prices still depreciating or have they swung up yet?

I'm not sure because I haven't been following the prices long enough. What I'm seeing currently is that a lot of cars are not selling. I follow cars for sale on Ebay and AutoTrader and the same cars just keep coming up over and over again without having sold.

What I have seen is that you can reliably get about $70k for a relatively low mileage 2.5 sport. The earlier models are in the mid 50's.

For anyone who's been tracking price for a much longer time, is that up, down, or holding steady?

9. MileHighMotoring

My impressions from watching the market for 3 years are that the price was coming down slowly, but has been ramping up a bit now, I believe the 3.0 upgrade combined with the stronger EV knowledge in the marketplace is making the Roadster more desirable, albeit to a still small community of buyers. So, I would expect priced have stabilized and will keep creeping up, but may take time to sell. Pretty much like any other specialty car.

• Informative x 1
  10. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

I just sold mine, 1.5 w/ 19K miles, for 54K... As a price reference...

11. DeedWest

DeedWest 2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport #1438

Five years of watching the Roadster market intently have shown that prices have gradually come down each year, it seems. I believe that the piece of mind with warranty that comes with the Model S, X, not to mention Supercharging, are the reasons for that. Higher mileage Roadsters, and virtually no-mileage Roadsters seem to take the longest to sell. Also, cars with...interesting...color combinations have a tough time.

Personally, I trust the car too much to even care what mileage is on it, as long as the service history is timely and the battery CAC / Standard Mode charge amount is normal for its age/mileage.

• Like x 1